Old Raleigh... moped?

Old July 20th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RubyRed

Default Old Raleigh... moped?

Hey, I have this old Raleigh bike and don't know what or how old it is.

It has a very thick fork, a seat and back shocks like a moped, and no
motor. It has two braise-ons on the seat tube which my friend says he
thinks are to mount the engine, but it would have to be a pretty small
and thin engine. The serial number doesn't fit into any chart of
Raliegh serial numbers I've found, but if m11 76 64307 means
anthing to you, please let me know. thanks.

Old July 20th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

"RubyRed" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey, I have this old Raleigh bike and don't know what or how old it is.

It has a very thick fork, a seat and back shocks like a moped, and no
motor. It has two braise-ons on the seat tube which my friend says he
thinks are to mount the engine, but it would have to be a pretty small
and thin engine. The serial number doesn't fit into any chart of
Raliegh serial numbers I've found, but if m11 76 64307 means
anthing to you, please let me know. thanks.

Well there used to be a Raleigh Motorcycle Company.
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/raleigh.htm
and also
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.c...h_forecar.html
but they seemed to have gone out of business in 1933.
But that probably isn't it.
Apparently Sturmey Archer made a little 200cc sidevalve engine too. Which is
a different interesting thing.

Then the Raliegh Bicycle company around 1958 started making some mopeds too
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pa...cc/arc0238.htm
It has a little 50cc 2-cycle engine.
Some more pics of different Raleigh Mopeds here too
http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/69/
Here is a little history about Raleigh here too.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/catfood.../history1.html

Old July 20th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On 19 Jul 2006 21:43:16 -0700, "RubyRed"
wrote:

Hey, I have this old Raleigh bike and don't know what or how old it is.

It has a very thick fork, a seat and back shocks like a moped, and no
motor. It has two braise-ons on the seat tube which my friend says he
thinks are to mount the engine, but it would have to be a pretty small
and thin engine. The serial number doesn't fit into any chart of
Raliegh serial numbers I've found, but if m11 76 64307 means
anthing to you, please let me know. thanks.

"Seat like a moped" as in a long seat with a backrest with two support
tubes that go down to the rear axle area at the back? 20" wheels? If
so, it might be one of the old choppers.

Photos of the old (and new) chopper are he

http://www.rcoc.co.uk/
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.