too much of a good thing

Old July 25th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
trino

Default too much of a good thing

hyponatremia (hyponatremia) (hipo-n?-treme-?) [hypo- + L. natrium
sodium + -emia] deficiency of sodium in the blood.

depletional h. that in which there is a low plasma concentration of
sodium associated with low total body sodium.

CBC news tonight did an excerpt on the subject saying sometimes you can
die from too much water because it dilutes the salt which is already leaving
your body fast during exercise.

Balance as always.

Old July 25th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:38:50 -0400, trino
wrote:

hyponatremia (hy·po·na·tre·mia) (hi”po-n?-tre´me-?) [hypo- + L. natrium
sodium + -emia] deficiency of sodium in the blood.

depletional h. that in which there is a low plasma concentration of
sodium associated with low total body sodium.

CBC news tonight did an excerpt on the subject saying sometimes you can
die from too much water because it dilutes the salt which is already
leaving
your body fast during exercise.

Balance as always.

Ok, but the people who are affected with this are people who are drinking
way too much water during marathons and are going slow enough to do so. I
don't know about you, but when I ride, even carring my camelback with 100
oz of water, I don't drink enough water, let alone enough water to cause
sodium depletion. I also add low salt (for potassium and sodium) to my
home-brew mixture of dextrose and protein that I carry with me.

--
Bob in CT
Old July 25th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
trino

Ok, but the people who are affected with this are people who are drinking
way too much water during marathons and are going slow enough to do so. I
don't know about you, but when I ride, even carring my camelback with 100
oz of water, I don't drink enough water, let alone enough water to cause
sodium depletion. I also add low salt (for potassium and sodium) to my
home-brew mixture of dextrose and protein that I carry with me.

--
Bob in CT

Well Bob you are clearly not the few that we are worried about.
Your right though about slow they are usually at the end of the pack.
Experienced runners do not feel the need for too much water.
They are actually looking into cutting down on water stations to take away
the temptation

Old July 26th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Terry Morse

"Bob in CT" wrote:

trino
wrote:

hyponatremia (hyponatremia) (hipo-n?-treme-?) [hypo- + L. natrium
sodium + -emia] deficiency of sodium in the blood.

Ok, but the people who are affected with this are people who are drinking
way too much water during marathons and are going slow enough to do so.

You don't have to drink excess amounts of water to become
hyponatremic. All you need is several hours of sweating without
taking in adequate amounts of salt to replenish what you lose.
Sodium depletion rates in extreme temperatures can be up to 2
grams/hour -- enough to run you out of sodium in 4 hours or less.

I know, it's happened to me. 8 hours into Climb to Kaiser, I felt
sick as a dog. Even though I had been drinking Gatorade and popping
Endurolytes the whole ride, it wasn't enough to keep up with my salt
excretion at 112 F. I ended up in the ER, but just a little salt had
me back to normal again.

I craved salty food and drink for days afterward.
--
terry morse - Undiscovered Country Tours - http://udctours.com

Tour suggestions for Great Plains (central USA) Dave Rusin Rides 10 March 16th 06 01:44 AM
Good Deal? NYC XYZ Recumbent Biking 18 January 26th 06 06:35 PM
Spoiler go you good thing! flyingdutch Australia 1 July 20th 05 03:27 AM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Racing 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM