Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

Old October 31st 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

joemarshall;1122216 wrote:
That's roughly the same as Spencer's locknut idea. I think the locknut
might be more likely to work though - I had a go at holding the other
end in various ways, and didn't manage it. The only thing I'd worry
about with the locknut is being able to get in and undo it afterwards.

If you can get hold of some spare buttons and a drill, drilling it out
really is easy and fast.

I've only done this once, I think I've got the knack of tightening them
up nowadays.

Joe

Oh ok, I didn't understand what Spencer was saying fully, now it makes
sense. Problem will be trying to find the right sized nut to fit on the
shaft.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old October 31st 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

GizmoDuck;1122244 wrote:
Oh ok, I didn't understand what Spencer was saying

Yeah, it's probably the accent. I get that a lot

Basically what you need to do is hold the shaft still whilst undoing
the button, which will, in turn release the tension on the grub screw.
The easiest way of holding the shaft will be with a cloth over it and
some pliers - however I would be afraid of damaging the thread, and I
don't know if you can get to enough of the thread to get a firm hold on
it.

If you put two nuts on the shaft, and tighten them up against each
other, then this will form a really solid grip on the shaft, and you
will be able to use a spanner to stop the shaft from turning while you
undo the button on the other side.

The problem is going to be getting hold of two nuts of the right size.
I know the KH Schulmpf hubs have a bigger shaft than the original hub,
and I'm sure somewhere it's on Florians web site. It's probably M4 or
M3, and most engineering supply shops should be able to get suitable
nuts for you.

STM

Edit - The size nuts you will need are M5

--
semach.the.monkey