Cracked Clavicle - Time to Heal

Old June 25th 04, 07:13 PM
Kalukis

Default Cracked Clavicle - Time to Heal

Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between construction barrels
downtown; also discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a lot like a
seperted shoulder.

Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor says 8 weeks, but
that seems long.

-Kalukis

PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one of the other 2.

Old June 26th 04, 12:08 AM
Collin

Kalukis wrote:

Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between construction barrels
downtown; also discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a lot like a
seperted shoulder.

Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor says 8 weeks, but
that seems long.

-Kalukis

PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one of the other 2.

I took one month before I could take the sling off, six weeks before the
bone joined and I could ride again, and four months before I had
close-to-full mobility and strength. I still have soreness when I
stress the bone, but it's actually stronger than before because there is
so much bone occluded at the break.
Old June 26th 04, 06:10 AM
Tim McNamara

"Kalukis" writes:

Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between construction
barrels downtown; also discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a
lot like a seperted shoulder.

Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor says 8
weeks, but that seems long.

Must be an epidemic, this is about the fourth thread on this question
in the last couple of months. Basically, your doc knows what he's
talking about. Make sure you get a "figure 8" sling.
Old June 26th 04, 06:02 PM
Ken Pisichko

Listen to what your MD sez - then take a bit more time. I don't know how old
you are but when I was about 40 years old it took all of the "text book" time
to heal my clavicle, and a bit more time. Later it took still longer to heal
broken foot bones. If you have any medical condition (heart, kidney, diabetes)
or are so-predisposed, then it will take longer yet...

Do you want your body to repair itself, or do you want a makeshift job (for
now) that will "bother you" when you get older? Been there, done that.

Ken

Old June 26th 04, 07:34 PM
Jim Adney

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:13:21 GMT "Kalukis"
wrote:

discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a lot like a
seperted shoulder.

I've never had a cracked clavicle, but I would have preferred it over
my separated shoulder. The important distinction is that the clavicle
will heal; the separation won't.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old June 28th 04, 06:25 AM
Slash

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:13:21 GMT, "Kalukis"
scribbled:

Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between construction barrels
downtown; also discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a lot like a
seperted shoulder.

Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor says 8 weeks, but
that seems long.

-Kalukis

PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one of the other 2.

Ha. I did the same thing last saturday (20th). Only I went one further
and smashed it down the middle. I'd broken it about 18 months ago
(same, right clavicle) but the previous break wasn't quite as serious.
Before, I'd managed to just snap the far end off, this time I went in
for surgery (few days ago) to have a plate screwed on to keep the bits
together.

Oy.

My last one required only a figure-eight sling to heal, and it was
about four weeks before I was gingerly riding around on a bike again.
It'll probably take longer this time though, so I'll be happy if I
have moderate use out of it in 2-3 weeks.

Argh.

I'd say that if you just cracked yours, and did not fracture it in any
way, you should be riding again in a few weeks. Just take it easy, you
really don't want to re-break it.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"