D-lock v. Chain Lock

Old June 24th 05, 08:01 PM
Alistair Gunn

Default D-lock v. Chain Lock

Given that I've managed to lose one, and bend the other key for (rather
ancient) D-lock I'm having to give some serious consideration to actually
spending some money ...

Is there any kind of consensus on whether D-locks or chain locks are
better? (Obviously one of each would probably be best of all, but I
don't lock my bike up in places quite *that* insecure and in any case the
weight involved would be quite large!)
Old June 25th 05, 08:36 AM
John Hearns

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:01:43 +0000, Alistair Gunn wrote:

Is there any kind of consensus on whether D-locks or chain locks are
better?

Cycling Plus do regular lock tests.
See if you can track an issue down - don't know if it is on their website.
Old June 25th 05, 10:04 AM
wafflycat

"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..
Given that I've managed to lose one, and bend the other key for (rather
ancient) D-lock I'm having to give some serious consideration to actually
spending some money ...

Is there any kind of consensus on whether D-locks or chain locks are
better? (Obviously one of each would probably be best of all, but I
don't lock my bike up in places quite *that* insecure and in any case the
weight involved would be quite large!)

If your bike is insured - best check whether the detail of the policy
insists on a specific type of lock being used. Example, my insurance states
that my bike must be locked, with a D-lock, to an immoveable object. It
doesn't state any particular make of D-lock, but it has to be a D-lock.
Hence I use a D-lock & two cable locks whenever I lock my bike up.

Cheers, helen s

Old June 26th 05, 09:50 PM
Mark van Gorkom

Given that I've managed to lose one, and bend the other key for (rather
ancient) D-lock I'm having to give some serious consideration to actually
spending some money ...

Is there any kind of consensus on whether D-locks or chain locks are
better? (Obviously one of each would probably be best of all, but I
don't lock my bike up in places quite *that* insecure and in any case the
weight involved would be quite large!)

A good quality hardened chain should stop anybody not equiped with
power tools, and is much easier to use than a D-lock
Even Amsterdam bike thiefs leave hardened chains alone, but may well
try levering a D-lock open.
You need a rather large D-lock to encompass bike and lantern-post,
making it either too heavy or not strong enough.

Mark van Gorkom.