Airlines without a bike box...

Old July 7th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Airlines without a bike box...

I've seen posts here that indicate one can send a bike through the
airlines without a box. Exactly what does that mean? You simply ride up
to the ticket agent and hand over your bike? Don't they complain about
the panniers? Or what if you've got a bell or light on the bike? And do
you lock it, or cover the spokes, or put a big threatening sign on it?

I'm thinking of flying to Munich, taking my bike down into Austria by
train, but I've never traveled by air with my bike before. I did buy one
of these hard-shell boxes -- the advertisement showed it going through
Tibet -- but I have no idea where I'd put it once I was in-country.
Old July 7th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Christian Williamson wrote:
I've seen posts here that indicate one can send a bike through the
airlines without a box. Exactly what does that mean? You simply ride up
to the ticket agent and hand over your bike? Don't they complain about
the panniers? Or what if you've got a bell or light on the bike? And do
you lock it, or cover the spokes, or put a big threatening sign on it?

Very few airlines handle bikes without bags, but those who do wheel
them into allocated spots in the cargo hold. Lufthansa is the main
carrier still doing this, British Air did but I am not sure if they
still do. You just wheel the bike up and turn it over to them.
Panniers do not remain; you will need to check them or carry them
on-board. I would take off anything that is tenuously mounted, like
bar mounted lights. Do not lock. Lufthansa used to require you to let
some air out of the tires, but they just changed that policy.

- rick

Old July 7th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On 6 Jul 2006 19:25:56 -0700, "Rick" wrote:

Christian Williamson wrote:
I've seen posts here that indicate one can send a bike through the
airlines without a box. Exactly what does that mean? You simply ride up
to the ticket agent and hand over your bike? Don't they complain about
the panniers? Or what if you've got a bell or light on the bike? And do
you lock it, or cover the spokes, or put a big threatening sign on it?

Very few airlines handle bikes without bags, but those who do wheel
them into allocated spots in the cargo hold. Lufthansa is the main
carrier still doing this, British Air did but I am not sure if they
still do.

BA did in May of '05 NCE-LHR. They tagged it up with the baggage claim
sticker and they attached a bunch of "FRAGILE" stickers at my request.
Then they directed me to their Baggage Dept. I wheeled the bike over
and they laid it down on a conveyor of a large Xray or bomb sniffing
machine.

LHR-BWI they took it from me at the check in counter IIRC. Had to let
some air out of the tires for both flights. I had stripped the bike of
all panniers previously, but it would make sense that they wouldn't
want them on there.

Old July 7th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Christian Williamson wrote:
I've seen posts here that indicate one can send a bike through the
airlines without a box. Exactly what does that mean? You simply ride up
to the ticket agent and hand over your bike? Don't they complain about
the panniers? Or what if you've got a bell or light on the bike? And do
you lock it, or cover the spokes, or put a big threatening sign on it?

I'm thinking of flying to Munich, taking my bike down into Austria by
train, but I've never traveled by air with my bike before. I did buy one
of these hard-shell boxes -- the advertisement showed it going through
Tibet -- but I have no idea where I'd put it once I was in-country.

Each airline seems to be different. I've taken my bike on SAS and they
had big super strong clear plastic bags specifically for bikes. At
check in they gave me the destination sticker, told me where the bags
were, and I rolled the bike into the bag, taped it up, stuck on the
stickers and dragged it over to the special baggage area. No sweat.
Another time they didn't have the bags, so they sent out a guy from the
baggage dept and he took it as it was, ready to ride. Again no
problems. I think having a clean bike that doesn't look like it should
be thrown around makes a difference. Wise to take off all things that
could get caught on something like lights, etc.

Train stations often have storage facilities for a hard-shell once you
get where you are going. Even a hotel or youth hostel or someplace like
that should be able to figure out somewhere to stick it for you.

Have fun!

Joseph

Old July 7th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Christian Williamson wrote:
I've seen posts here that indicate one can send a bike through the
airlines without a box. Exactly what does that mean? You simply ride up
to the ticket agent and hand over your bike? Don't they complain about
the panniers? Or what if you've got a bell or light on the bike? And do
you lock it, or cover the spokes, or put a big threatening sign on it?

I'm thinking of flying to Munich, taking my bike down into Austria by
train, but I've never traveled by air with my bike before. I did buy one
of these hard-shell boxes -- the advertisement showed it going through
Tibet -- but I have no idea where I'd put it once I was in-country.

If you are flying into and out of the same airport, get a room your
first night and ask if you can stow your case there until you return to
spend another night before leaving.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 8th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around
the world and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

Not only is every airline different, but nearly every counter person on
every airline is different too. On one trip the BA person at Dulles
insisted that the bike MUST be boxed. On the way back the agent at
Bordeaux said not to worry about a box.

See it at www.BikeAccess.net

George

Old July 8th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

George wrote:
For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around
the world and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

Not only is every airline different, but nearly every counter person on
every airline is different too. On one trip the BA person at Dulles
insisted that the bike MUST be boxed. On the way back the agent at
Bordeaux said not to worry about a box.

See it at www.BikeAccess.net

George

Thanks much. I've been reading your web site, and I'm starting to think
the best way to do this and be assured of no problems is to buy a bike
bag and maybe stuff it in a locker at the airport.
http://www.bikebags.com/travelbag.html.

Old July 9th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Rick

George wrote:
For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around
the world and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

Not only is every airline different, but nearly every counter person on
every airline is different too. On one trip the BA person at Dulles
insisted that the bike MUST be boxed. On the way back the agent at
Bordeaux said not to worry about a box.

That is why one needs to have a hard-copy of the airline rules when
they get to the counter. One can argue into policy if you can prove
the policy; otherwise ......

- rick

George

Old July 10th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Rick wrote:
George wrote:
For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around
the world and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

Not only is every airline different, but nearly every counter person on
every airline is different too. On one trip the BA person at Dulles
insisted that the bike MUST be boxed. On the way back the agent at
Bordeaux said not to worry about a box.

That is why one needs to have a hard-copy of the airline rules when
they get to the counter. One can argue into policy if you can prove
the policy; otherwise ......

- rick

Maybe it would be cheaper to just fly over; buy a bike there and sell
it at a shop when you are ready to fly back; you don't need to buy a
bike box; you don't have to worry about your prized and familiar steed
getting lost; stolen; misplaced or damaged on the way there or back and
you save on frieght cost. You ride it and sell it at a loss, you'll
probabally be ahead anyways.
George

Old July 10th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Rick

wrote:
Rick wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

An option, but you have to give up a day or two of your trip to handle
the transactions. Getting a bike box ranges from a few dollars down to
free. Some airlines do not require one. Never had a bike damaged by
an airline. All in all, even the standard ways of travel are not that
much of a pain or risk. But I travel with an S&S coupled bike most of
the time; I own the S&S bag, I store it at the entry/exit point, and
there are no extra charges. And, in contrast to whole bikes and boxed
bikes, the bag fits and is accepted on all ground transport.

BTW, as to the suggestion of storing a box or case at an airport or
train station, best to check ahead and make sure that such facilities
are available and within the budget. Many baggage checks at airports
and especially train stations in western Europe closed after the Madrid
bombings. A lot have re-opened, but not all. Some airports have
miniscule lockers, e.g., the airport in Barcelona, no chance of storing
a bike box or case in them. And those that are open were charging
about 5 euro/item/day last I checked. If we are travelling a loop, I
just get a hotel near the entry/exit and have them hold the bag(s).
Works well, does not cost any extra.

- rick