Police in London attack critical mass

Old October 6th 05, 06:54 PM
David Hansen

Default Police in London attack critical mass

I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass outlined in various places, including
https://publish.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/10/324919.html and
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/10/324763.html

Metropolitan Police Service
CO11 Public Order Branch
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW11 OBG

Your reference: -
Our reference: -
Date: 29/09/2005

Critical Mass Cycle Demonstrations

Organisers of public processions are required by law to notify
police at least 6 days before the event occurs of the date, time,
proposed route and the name and address of an organiser. Failure to
do so makes the event unlawful

Demonstrations within a designated area around Parliament must also
be notified, and anyone taking part in an unauthorised demonstration
commits an offence.

Police can impose conditions on processions, demonstrations and
other assemblies, and participants render themselves liable to
arrest if they fail to comply with those conditions.

These cycle protests are not lawful because no organiser has
provided police the with the necessary notification. Your
participation in this event could render you liable to prosecution.
Police policy in facilitating these events is currently under
review.

If you intend to organise a future similar event please refer to the
Metropolitan Police website, www.met.police.uk for details. It is
preferable for all parties if a lawful event can be safely
facilitated, rather than the Police having to enforce legislation.

That crap from the police has produced at least one response from a
member of the London Assembly.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/10/325044.html

Sir Ian Blair
Metropolitan Police Commissioner
New Scotland Yard
Tower Block
N5Y

Dear Ian,
Critical Mass Bike Ride

I am writing to outline my concerns about plans to label the
Critical Mass Bike Ride as a demonstration and therefore require it
to have permission from the police as well as permission to travel
through the restriction zone around Parliament.

1) Many people do not see Critical Mass as a demonstration, but more
like a hundred people getting on the same train at London Bridge.

2) According to the public order branch of the MPS, Critical Mass
would not meet the definition of demonstration set out by the
Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005. The bill requires that
the protest is static and has a political message.

3) Critical Mass has operated peacefully in this country for 11
years. There is nothing to suggest that this is likely to change and
the heavy-handed application of the Serious Organised Crime Act and
other legislation is surely unnecessary.

4) Given the fact that Critical Mass has been happening for so long
it may be the case that it does not need permission under the
Serious Organised Crime Act.

5) Operational issues may arise in attempting to arrest attendees at
Critical Mass. How will the police distinguish between ordinary
commuters who are going about their business and those who are
attending Critical Mass?

6) I shall be attending the next Critical Mass as a direct response
to attempts by police to ‘crack down’ on it. I can only imagine that
dozens of other Londoners will feel similarly obliged to stand up
for their right to cycle around London.

I urge you to review this situation and allow Critical Mass to go
ahead unimpeded.

Jenny Jones
Green Party Member of the London Assembly
Mayor’s Road Safety Ambassador
Member of the Metropolitan Police Authority

Are the police born stupid, or is it a talent they develop over the
years?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 6th 05, 06:57 PM
wafflycat

"David Hansen" wrote in message

Are the police born stupid, or is it a talent they develop over the
years?

Perhaps they'll round up all the motorists in the daily rush hour traffic
jams on the M25....

Cheers, helen s

Old October 6th 05, 07:01 PM
wafflycat

"wafflycat" waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote in
message ...

"David Hansen" wrote in message

Are the police born stupid, or is it a talent they develop over the
years?

Perhaps they'll round up all the motorists in the daily rush hour traffic
jams on the M25....

Cheers, helen s

Should have added... not all police seem to have the flair for the
headline-grabbing stupidity that the current head of the Met does. Which is
good. Is Blair head of Met hoping to replace our Dear Leader, slipping in by
the back door on the grounds of same surname, same overreaction, no-one will
notice the difference?

Old October 6th 05, 09:08 PM
Peter Headland

This is why I hate CM. It takes people who are neutral or even pro-bike
and makes them actively anti-bike.

--
Peter Headland

Old October 6th 05, 09:44 PM
MartinM

David Hansen wrote:
I am surprised not to have noticed anything here on the police
attack on Critical Mass

discussed here the next day ;-)

Old October 6th 05, 09:48 PM
MartinM

In fact despite having said I won't ride CM again I'm sufficiently
goaded to turn up for next month's just because of this, even though
IMO bikes should kept out of politics.

Old October 6th 05, 10:02 PM
Sniper8052

On 6 Oct 2005 13:08:52 -0700, Peter Headland wrote:

This is why I hate CM. It takes people who are neutral or even pro-bike
and makes them actively anti-bike.

The fact is that the group, self styled Critical Mass, wishes to evade it's
collective responsibility to behave properly and often behaves very badly
by all accounts. I fail to see why other road users, including
pedestrians, should have to suffer their bullish behavior because 'they'
choose to behave like louts once a month.
If CM want to ride around London, fine, obey the rules... all of them. If
CM voluntary workers think they are above or beyond the law and hope to
evade the responsibility they are taking on themselves in 'not' organizing
the ride, but publicly promoting it, they may find they are in fact
'responsible' in the 'eyes of the law'.
This requirement is a notice to all that public anarchy once a month will
no longer be tolerated. A notice which is long overdue in my opinion.

Sniper8052

One time supporter of CM...
Old October 6th 05, 10:17 PM
Tony Raven

wafflycat wrote:

Should have added... not all police seem to have the flair for the
headline-grabbing stupidity that the current head of the Met does. Which
is good. Is Blair head of Met hoping to replace our Dear Leader,
slipping in by the back door on the grounds of same surname, same
overreaction, no-one will notice the difference?

There is something of the Slitheen about him

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 6th 05, 10:24 PM
Tony Raven

You didn't notice http://snipurl.com/i7uz then.

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 6th 05, 10:42 PM
davek

Sniper8052 wrote:
often behaves very badly
by all accounts.

You'll have to be a bit more specific than that.

I fail to see why other road users, including
pedestrians, should have to suffer their bullish behavior because 'they'
choose to behave like louts once a month.

I fail to see why cyclists should put up with the bullish behaviour of
motorists on every other day of the month, but YMMV.

This requirement is a notice to all that public anarchy once a month will
no longer be tolerated. A notice which is long overdue in my opinion.

If you want to know the time, ask a policeman. But if you want advice
on a point of law ...

d.