What seat post clamp?

Old February 16th 08, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default What seat post clamp?

I want to order online a QR seatpost clamp for a bike I won't see
until Monday. I know the diameter is less than 31.8mm because I have
a couple of clamps that size spare and they don't fit.

The frame is described as 7005-T6. Can I tell from that if I should
order a 30mm clamp or 28.6mm clamp? Or will I have to wait until
Monday when I can measure the diameter?
Old February 16th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Tom Crispin wrote:
I want to order online a QR seatpost clamp for a bike I won't see
until Monday. I know the diameter is less than 31.8mm because I have
a couple of clamps that size spare and they don't fit.

The frame is described as 7005-T6. Can I tell from that if I should
order a 30mm clamp or 28.6mm clamp? Or will I have to wait until
Monday when I can measure the diameter?

Sorry I don't know - but I'm wondering if there really is a 30mm standard -
or if that is a round-up euphemism for 28.6mm, just as "32mm" is for 31.8mm?

~PB

Old February 16th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15692
Old February 16th 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Tom Crispin wrote:

I want to order online a QR seatpost clamp for a bike I won't see
until Monday. I know the diameter is less than 31.8mm because I
have a couple of clamps that size spare and they don't fit.

The frame is described as 7005-T6. Can I tell from that if I should
order a 30mm clamp or 28.6mm clamp? Or will I have to wait until
Monday when I can measure the diameter?

Sorry I don't know - but I'm wondering if there really is a 30mm
standard - or if that is a round-up euphemism for 28.6mm, just as
"32mm" is for 31.8mm?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15692

I should have known that. Sorry I didn't check.

~PB

Old February 17th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

Pete Biggs wrote:

Sorry I don't know - but I'm wondering if there really is a 30mm standard -
or if that is a round-up euphemism for 28.6mm, just as "32mm" is for 31.8mm?

~PB

30mm is the size for externaly butted steel seattubes

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old February 17th 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:14:08 +0100, M-gineering
wrote:

Pete Biggs wrote:

Sorry I don't know - but I'm wondering if there really is a 30mm standard -
or if that is a round-up euphemism for 28.6mm, just as "32mm" is for 31.8mm?

~PB

30mm is the size for externaly butted steel seattubes

So 28.6 it is. Still, just to be on the safe side, I'll wait until
tomorrow before ordering.
Old February 18th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Tom Crispin" wrote

snip]

The frame is described as 7005-T6. Can I tell from that if I
should
order a 30mm clamp or 28.6mm clamp?

7005 tells you what alloy the aluminium is, but I don't know the
virtues of different alloys. My Grumman canoe is made our of 6061.

T6 tells you how the alloy has been heat treated. My canoe is also
T6. T6 canoes seem to cost a bit more than T4 canoes, but I don't
know why.

Anyway, it doesn't tell you about seat post diameters.

Seat post diameters are really inch sizes. Thus 28.6 is really 1-1/8
inches, 30, 1-3/16 inches. "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance" has a good section explaining that the best shim stock
in the world for adapting sizes is made from old beer cans, but you
have to scrape the picture off the beer can to maintain the bike's
artistic purity

Jeremy Parker

Idea for a seat post clamp... Daytripper63 Unicycling 5 December 31st 06 04:18 AM
Seat Post Clamp for 05 KH oxfordrider Unicycling 5 May 8th 06 03:19 PM
seat post clamp irvinegr Unicycling 12 February 2nd 06 01:08 PM
Seat Post Slipping - Seat Post Clamp Question [email protected] Techniques 14 April 23rd 05 01:05 AM
Improving seat clamp and post joona Unicycling 5 October 3rd 03 03:32 PM