Seat Post size?

Old February 3rd 04, 09:42 PM
MSA

Default Seat Post size?

A few days ago I finally managed to purchase a second hand road bike for
commuting. I've spent the past 2 nights stripping it down, adjusting,
cleaning, truing wheels, and replacing cables etc.

Unfortunately, the saddle has become 'welded' to the seatpost and the
Allen bolt has completely burred over. The bolt sits in a tight recess
so I can't cut through it, and I've tried all other means of getting it
off.

I didn't like the saddle anyway, so the easiest option is to buy a new
post for about a tenner (for once I'm not being a weight weenie!). The
old post has no size on it and using a steel rule the seat tube looks to
be 26mm, and the seat post looks to be 25mm.

The bike is a Peugeot, steel frame. Not sure of the year, but it's
running a 7 speed Shimano free hub if that's any indication?

Any ideas on the right size post? I've checked the database on Sheldons
site, and my bike is not mentioned..although Peugeot is, the most common
being 26.4. I'm sure this would be too big.

Ideas please people!

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
Old February 3rd 04, 10:00 PM
nobody760

Use an Engineers gauge on the existing seat post. Read off the correct
measurement.

If you don't know what and engineers gauge looks like it can best be
described as an F looking tool where the bottom bar of the F moves on
the vertical bar which has an accurate gauge on it. Read off that
measurement. Failing that take it all down to yer local bike shop and get
them to do it.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
vernon levy

Use an Engineers gauge on the existing seat post. Read off the correct
measurement.

You don't need anything more sophisticated than a strip of paper wrapped
around the post. Mark off where the paper overlaps itself for the first
time, remove and measure between the end of the paper and the mark. Divide
this by 3.14 to get the diameter of the seat tube. It's a tad more accurate
than trying to use a ruler by itself.

Trust me I'm a teacher :-)

Vernon in Leeds

Old February 3rd 04, 11:18 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:42:28 +0000 (UTC), MSA
wrote:

using a steel rule the seat tube looks to
be 26mm, and the seat post looks to be 25mm.

You need a much more accurate figure than that. The buggers come in
0.05mm increments ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old February 4th 04, 12:28 PM
Clive George

"nobody760" wrote in message
Use an Engineers gauge on the existing seat post. Read off the correct
measurement.

If you don't know what and engineers gauge looks like it can best be
described as an F looking tool where the bottom bar of the F moves

on
the vertical bar which has an accurate gauge on it. Read off that
measurement. Failing that take it all down to yer local bike shop and get
them to do it.

aka vernier calipers? (ok, you didn't mention the vernier bit, but that's
what makes them useful)

cheers,
clive

Old February 4th 04, 12:43 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Clive George" wrote in message

aka vernier calipers?

aka verynear calipers, on account of how many people can't /quite/ read the
Vernier properly ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 4th 04, 01:00 PM
Clive George

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"Clive George" wrote in message

aka vernier calipers?

aka verynear calipers, on account of how many people can't /quite/ read

the
Vernier properly ;-)

:-)

As an aside, does anybody else think that the vernier concept is exceedingly
great?

cheers,
clive

Old February 4th 04, 01:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Clive George" wrote in message

As an aside, does anybody else think that the vernier concept is

exceedingly
great?

It is one of those simple ideas that works perfectly.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 4th 04, 01:42 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:00:06 +0000, Clive George wrote:

As an aside, does anybody else think that the vernier concept is exceedingly
great?

Yup. Back when I did lecturing and lab demonstrating I had to explain
to students how to use vernier calipers.
(And of course someone once had to tell me!)

I once bought a set of vernier calipers in one of the pound shops.
Made of plastic.
I thought they were a great buy, but obviously wouldn't trust them greatly.
Sadly haven't got them any more.
Old February 4th 04, 02:43 PM
MSeries

Clive George wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
message ...
"Clive George" wrote in message

aka vernier calipers?

aka verynear calipers, on account of how many people can't /quite/
read the Vernier properly ;-)

:-)

As an aside, does anybody else think that the vernier concept is
exceedingly great?

cheers,
clive

Yes. I have some and I learned how to use them when I was at school.
Unfortunately I forgot how to read down to the 100th of a mil. I came across
a fun website that has a java applet showing calipers moving and explaining
how to read them !

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk