TdF aus.bicycle nettiquite

Old July 5th 04, 09:47 PM
kingsley

Default TdF aus.bicycle nettiquite

At the risk of starting a flamewar, I just wanted to say
I'm not really game to read aus.bicycle for the time of
the TdF, in case someone posts the results of last-nights TdF
stage before I can get home and watch my recording of it.
Especially when it's gonna be splashed in capitals
in the subject line. Sure this is a fairly petty request,
but this year I want to spend the month getting home with at
least a pinch of excitement about finding out what went on in
the days racing.

I think the only thing I can do is read usenet 1 day behind...

So I hereby reverve the right to put my two-bobs worth in
long after any aus.bicycle arguments are settled
(like a settlement is ever reached in aus.bicycle anyway)

I could go on about spoiler space, but I think it's probably
time wasted.

-kt

Old July 5th 04, 09:52 PM
DRS

"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.05.08.08.43.217580@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au
At the risk of starting a flamewar, I just wanted to say
I'm not really game to read aus.bicycle for the time of
the TdF, in case someone posts the results of last-nights TdF
stage before I can get home and watch my recording of it.
Especially when it's gonna be splashed in capitals
in the subject line. Sure this is a fairly petty request,

Not at all, it's quite reasonable to ask people to give fair warning if
they're going to post things like race results. If they can do it for
things like movie plots they surely can do it for the TdF.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 6th 04, 12:23 AM
Marty Wallace

"kingsley" wrote in message
[...]

That's a good thing to do.
You can't expect people to hold back their excitement so as not to spoil the
suprise for everyone else.
That's like Melbournes Greek soccer fans not mentioning winning the finals
until the replay of the match is shown on TV the next day.
The internet is an instantaneous medium and waits for no man. I don't want
to get into a flame war either but let us enjoy Robbies (or any Australian )
win the second he crosses the line, not 24 hours later. Imagine Robbie
getting on the internet after his win to see how it was received at home,
only to find no mention of it at all !

Go Aussie go!!

Marty

Old July 6th 04, 12:45 AM
mfhor

wrote:
Not at all, it's quite reasonable to ask people to give fair warning if
they're going to post things like race results. If they can do it for
things like movie plots they surely can do it for the TdF.

Yes, but it is NEWS, in the public domain. It's happened. The fact that
SBS does an increasingly dodgy, sponsor-polluted and abbreviated wrap-up
at an arbitrary time in the evening doesn't mean us folks with a bit of
time on our hands can't discuss the NEWS in an open forum. Sorry fellas,
if you can check Usenet, you can go to cyclingnews.com/latest and have a
look for yourself. You might even get some visuals (stills).

IMO, cycling is not just the result, but the way in which the result was
arrived at. Phil Liggett's rambling and prognosticating on Erik Zabel's
birthday win last time they were in Belgium. Paul Sherwin's eternal team-
member confusion. [grumble] With race radios, it's becoming more
choreographed and less exciting anyway. Bring back lone suicide
breakaways and two-up time trials, I say.[/grumble]

Euro cable would make it a bit more irksome. People bragging they'd seen
2hrs coverage on their time slip DVD recorder would be a bit too much.
So I'm drawing the line, OK? No bragging about all the coverage you've
got on DVD, ok? (Or let me watch it?)

Old July 6th 04, 04:24 AM
LAN Support

Seeing that last night's result has already been mentioned on every morning
TV show, on morning radio, and on any number of internet news sites, you'd
better spend the next three weeks living in a barrel and only emerge for
half an hour a day to watch the replay.

Nick

Old July 6th 04, 05:02 AM
rickster

"DRS" wrote in message ...
"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.05.08.08.43.217580@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au
At the risk of starting a flamewar, I just wanted to say
I'm not really game to read aus.bicycle for the time of
the TdF, in case someone posts the results of last-nights TdF
stage before I can get home and watch my recording of it.
Especially when it's gonna be splashed in capitals
in the subject line. Sure this is a fairly petty request,

Not at all, it's quite reasonable to ask people to give fair warning if
they're going to post things like race results. If they can do it for
things like movie plots they surely can do it for the TdF.

First ever post to aus.bicycle, July 8 th 1990

"welcome to aus.bicyle"

Second ever post July 8 th 1990

"Olaf Ludwig wins stage 8"

Perhaps only me, but it's a pet hate of mine to read posts complaining
of having a result "spoilt" when visiting a news group. C'mon, what
do you expect ? It's an anonymous posting service populated by a huge
number of morons who exist to cause havoc.

If you don't want to know, don't log in. And if you don't want to
know, but do log in, and then you know, well, you've only got your
self to blame.
Old July 6th 04, 11:49 AM
kingsley

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:24:44 +1000, LAN Support wrote:

Seeing that last night's result has already been mentioned on every
morning TV show, on morning radio, and on any number of internet news
sites, you'd better spend the next three weeks living in a barrel and only
emerge for half an hour a day to watch the replay.

I do, it's called CityRail.

Easy to avoid news before 7am, and (with any luck) I have the recording
when I get home at 7pm.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )

Old July 6th 04, 01:29 PM
hippy

"kingsley" wrote in message
I do, it's called CityRail.

Easy to avoid news before 7am, and (with any luck) I have the recording
when I get home at 7pm.

a.k.a. Connex a.k.a. pushie. I manage to avoid all news until
6pm and I'm not even trying. I just have no interest in all the
crap that's fed to us in newspapers and on tv..
I usually try to read the cyclingnews live feed and then watch
my copy when I finally make it home.

Stage 2 was stack-a-rama eh?! Pave coming up today...

hippy

Old July 6th 04, 03:12 PM
DRS

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message
om.au
"kingsley" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, you can - at least of adults.

That's like Melbournes Greek soccer fans not mentioning winning the
finals until the replay of the match is shown on TV the next day.
The internet is an instantaneous medium and waits for no man. I don't
want to get into a flame war either but let us enjoy Robbies (or any
Australian ) win the second he crosses the line, not 24 hours later.
Imagine Robbie getting on the internet after his win to see how it
was received at home, only to find no mention of it at all !

Usenet is far from being an instantaneous medium, so much so that Usenet
guidelines advise against trying to use it as a news source.

Besides, no-one is asking anyone not to express their excitement, merely to
do so in a manner which respects those like Kingsley who want to watch the
tape when they get home. Using spoiler space is not difficult or onerous.

Oh, dear, I've talked about respect for others again. I suppose that means
every ****wit in the precinct will now make a point of top-posting every
race result, regardless of who or how many people they **** off.

--

A: Top-posters.

aus.bicycle FAQ (monthly posting) kingsley Australia 10 March 22nd 04 09:03 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly Posting) kingsley Australia 1 December 16th 03 07:20 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ Version 1.0.0 kingsley Australia 10 November 10th 03 02:42 PM