Mirror

Old March 6th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Mirror

Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

I don't want anything too big but must be big enough to see what's going on
behind me.

Are those ones that fit on the end of your drops any good?

Or are helmet mirrors any good? Can they be taken off easily?

Thanks
Russell

Old March 6th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Russell wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

I don't want anything too big but must be big enough to see what's going on
behind me.

Viewpoint from Cycleaware (www.cycleaware.com is a rather tiny
mirror that sticks on the lense of your glasses. Works very well if you
normally wear sunglasses while riding.

I also have a Third Eye mirror that attaches to my arm of glasses.
Again good and give a bigger field of view than the Cycleaware mirror

Or are helmet mirrors any good? Can they be taken off easily?

I have used two different helmet mirrors, one was Third Eye, good but
a bit sensitive to vibration, and another whose name escapes me, which
worked very well. Both gave good rear views. However I don't wear a
helmet any more so the glasses ones are better.

I chose the helmet/glasses mounted ones so that I didn't have to have
more than one mirror when changinb from one bike to another.

I found it took about 2 weeks to really get used to using the mirror
but once accustomed to a mirror it was great.
John Kane KIngston ON Canada

Old March 6th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"John_Kane" wrote in message
oups.com...

Russell wrote:
[...]

I've used bar end folding mirror --didn't like them ( Topeak Bar n Mirror)

I used a helmet mounted mirror before that and now have it again -- the
simple Blackburn Helmet Mirror and with a mount on both sides of my helmet
it works both in UK and in Europe! Inexpensive and easily removed and reset.

Took a couple of days to get used to it but then it was good and I use it
automatically and I don't seem to notice it any more.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old March 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Russell" wrote in message
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

I don't want anything too big but must be big enough to see what's going
on
behind me.

Are those ones that fit on the end of your drops any good?

Or are helmet mirrors any good? Can they be taken off easily?

Thanks
Russell

I have one on the drops. I'm not sure about the helmet/spectacle mounted
ones though as my near-point, when wearing normal specs, is probably too far
to use them.
Graham

Old March 7th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Russell wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

I don't want anything too big but must be big enough to see what's
going on behind me.

Are those ones that fit on the end of your drops any good?

Or are helmet mirrors any good? Can they be taken off easily?

I have to thank Danny for recomending the 3rd eye Glasses Mount. I suppose
it helps if, like me you are a spectacle wearer, but I suppose shades would
work just as well. It just takes a few days to stop spending more time
looking behind and paying attention to what's going on in front of you
again. It's a novalty thing that soon wears off. you soon start looking
only when you need to (which is actualy surprisingly infreaquantly.
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml

--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

Old March 7th 06, 02:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Russell wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

After trying some (including old type of Mirrcycle*: probably the best
cycle mirror), and trying hard to make them work for me, I suggest don't
bother unless you're not able to look behind.

Even if one didn't get in the way of your hands or was easy to fold out of
the way and back for parking and didn't need fiddly readjustment, a
not-too-big handlebar mirror can't give a really good view, especially if
using more than one riding position, and what view you get can give a
false sense of security.

A helmet mirror should give a better view but I don't see how they're
practical either.

* I mainly got fed up with being preocupied with trying to find the ideal
angle. Precise adjustment is critical with all mirrors.

~PB

Old March 7th 06, 03:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 01:48:54 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

After trying some (including old type of Mirrcycle*: probably the best
cycle mirror), and trying hard to make them work for me, I suggest don't
bother unless you're not able to look behind.

* I mainly got fed up with being preocupied with trying to find the ideal
angle. Precise adjustment is critical with all mirrors.

I agree that adjustment and positioning are critical, and it seems
that's not easy to deal with on a road/upright bike.

I use a small circular mirror on my recumbent, and it's invaluable.
With over seat steering the handlebar column is ideal for mounting the
mirror stalk and I get a permanent view of everything that's going on
over my right hand shoulder. I'm confident enough in traffic but
having the mirror really gives useful extra information and I love it.
Of course, it's pretty much essential on the 'bent anyway, because
glancing behind isn't at all easy.

"Bob"

Old March 7th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pete Biggs wrote:
Russell wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

A helmet mirror should give a better view but I don't see how they're
practical either.

One big advantage of a helmet mounted mirror is that relatively small
movements of the head can aim the mirror as required and widen the field
of view considerably, whereas with a bar mounted mirror one has to
have the setup precisely correct or engage in tricky contortions to
adjust the view.
--
Brian G
Old March 7th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:33:02 +0000, Brian G wrote:

Pete Biggs wrote:
Russell wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for a mirror on a road bike?

A helmet mirror should give a better view but I don't see how they're
practical either.

One big advantage of a helmet mounted mirror is that relatively small
movements of the head can aim the mirror as required and widen the field
of view considerably, whereas with a bar mounted mirror one has to
have the setup precisely correct or engage in tricky contortions to
adjust the view.

Of course there is one MAJOR disadvantage to a helmet mounted mirror.

helmet mirror MyakkaMike Techniques 2 September 11th 05 10:59 PM
Another mirror comparison Danny Colyer UK 10 August 3rd 05 07:04 PM
Rearview Mirror Options? Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 32 April 14th 05 03:09 AM
Mirror comparison Danny Colyer UK 14 March 23rd 05 11:14 PM
OLD RHODE GEAR MIRROR REPLACEMENT REQUIRED Slammin Sammy Australia 1 August 29th 04 02:32 PM