National Climate March.National Climate March Saturday December6th 2008

Old December 8th 08, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default National Climate March.National Climate March Saturday December6th 2008

On 8 Dec, 01:58, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

On 5 Dec, 17:35, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

No but your point of view seems to be held by some of the people on
this march so why not join in instead of making excuses not to?

I don't need an excuse to do something I think is a total waste of time.
If
a pretty young thing couldn't get me marching to Aldermaston, you won't
get
me marching on Parliament

So what do you do, apart from carry on polluting regardless, just
vote?

Remind me, just how quickly did marching help the CND achieve their aims?

True, I could say the same thing about the Suffragettes and their
quest for equality via the vote. The anti-poll tax people scored a
victory though and so did London Critical Mass the other day. Win some
lose some.

Check this out
http://london.indymedia.org.uk/articles/366
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/12/414493.html

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

Old December 8th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
nightjar

wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

No but your point of view seems to be held by some of the people on
this march so why not join in instead of making excuses not to?

I don't need an excuse to do something I think is a total waste of
time.
If
a pretty young thing couldn't get me marching to Aldermaston, you
won't
get
me marching on Parliament

So what do you do, apart from carry on polluting regardless, just
vote?

Remind me, just how quickly did marching help the CND achieve their aims?

True, I could say the same thing about the Suffragettes and their
quest for equality via the vote. The anti-poll tax people scored a
victory though

According to the opinion polls of the time, only 2% of the population
supported the poll tax, which would have made contiuning with it political
suicide. That, rather than the riot, was what decided the fate of the poll
tax. The riot did help get rid of Maggie Thatcher though.

and so did London Critical Mass the other day....

London Critical Mass achieved a victory through the Courts.

Colin Bignell

Old December 8th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Conor[_2_]

In article 4041fb87-1dbd-472f-b153-b248869b22d7
@l42g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, Doug says...

wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

No but your point of view seems to be held by some of the people on
this march so why not join in instead of making excuses not to?

I don't need an excuse to do something I think is a total waste of time.
If
a pretty young thing couldn't get me marching to Aldermaston, you won't
get
me marching on Parliament

So what do you do, apart from carry on polluting regardless, just
vote?

Remind me, just how quickly did marching help the CND achieve their aims?

True, I could say the same thing about the Suffragettes and their
quest for equality via the vote. The anti-poll tax people scored a
victory though and so did London Critical Mass the other day. Win some
lose some.

What did CM achieve?

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old December 8th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:21:13 -0000
Conor wrote:

What did CM achieve?

A ruling that participants in the event couldn't be prosecuted by the
police on the basis that the non-existent organisers hadn't submitted
notice of the non-existent planned route. :-) Move along, nothing to
see here ...

Old December 8th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

The CM victory was achieved after years of being harassed by police
and a determination to carry on riding despite it.

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Whose streets? Our streets!".

Old December 8th 08, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
nightjar

wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

and it still needed to go through the Courts to achieve anything.

Colin Bignell

Old December 10th 08, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

It was achieved by defying the police, one way or another, like so
many protests against the State.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

Old December 10th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
nightjar

"Doug" wrote in message
and so did London Critical Mass the other day....

London Critical Mass achieved a victory through the Courts.

The CM victory was achieved after years of being harassed by police
and a determination to carry on riding despite it.

and it still needed to go through the Courts to achieve anything.

It was achieved by defying the police, one way or another, like so
many protests against the State.

The important point is that it was achieved only by following the correct
legal procedures.

Colin Bignell

Old December 11th 08, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 10 Dec, 08:41, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

and so did London Critical Mass the other day....

London Critical Mass achieved a victory through the Courts.

The CM victory was achieved after years of being harassed by police
and a determination to carry on riding despite it.

and it still needed to go through the Courts to achieve anything.

It was achieved by defying the police, one way or another, like so
many protests against the State.

The important point is that it was achieved only by following the correct
legal procedures.

Why is that important? Sometimes the government just backs down
following protests.