Octogenarian cyclists have the bodies of 20 somethings

Old March 8th 18, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Octogenarian cyclists have the bodies of 20 somethings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

Old March 8th 18, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:58:19 -0800 (PST), Simon Jester
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

A pity it doesn't seem to give them the bones of a 20 year old but
rather the opposite :-

"Sporting-related cervical fractures increased by 35 percent from 2000
to 2015, mainly due to an increase in cycling-related injuries,
according to research presented at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)"

"Cervical spine injury is a substantial cause of morbidity and
mortality, and, as far as injuries go, one of the more devastating
injuries that we as orthopedic surgeons can treat," said lead study
author J. Mason DePasse, MD, orthopedic trauma surgery fellow at Brown
University. "There isn't much data available on spine/neck injuries in
recreational activities and sports. The most recent paper we quoted
was from 1991 and looked only at 63 male patients. In our study, we
were able to sort through more than 50,000 cases by utilizing data
analytics, which would have been nearly impossible to sift through by
hand. The biggest takeaway was that cycling is the number one cause of
neck fractures, which suggests we may need to investigate this in
terms of safety."

"In his study, the bone density of 32 male, competitive bike riders,
most in their late 20s and early 30s, was compared to that of
age-matched controls, men who were active but not competitive
athletes. Bone scans showed that almost all of the cyclists had
significantly less bone density in the spine than the control group.
Some of the racers, young men in their 20s, had osteopenia in their
spines, a medical condition only one step below full-blown
osteoporosis. “To find guys in their twenties with osteopenia was
surprising and pretty disturbing,”

"People over the age of 60 can also benefit from regular
weight-bearing exercise. This can include brisk walking, keep-fit
classes or a game of tennis. Swimming and cycling aren't
weight-bearing exercises..." (NHS)

"cycling enthusiasts are no stranger to bone fractures and breaks. In
fact, when compared to the average person, cyclists are 80% more
likely to become diagnosed with Osteoporosis at some point in their
life."

So pushbike riders live longer but in greater pain than most?

Old March 9th 18, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

Hardly surprising.

Some 80 year old in San Diego swam a mile in 40 minutes. I'm planning to beat that in 20 years.

Bret Cahill

Old March 9th 18, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:19:25 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

So pushbike riders live longer but in greater pain than most?

I jumped off a Humber Bridge and got run over by a 44T truck.
My bones are fine now and I am 60 in October.
The cycling fitness saved me according to my surgeon.
Old March 9th 18, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

A pity it doesn't seem to give them the bones of a 20 year old but
rather the opposite :-

Jogging was popular in the 80's, then it became bad for you because of the repeated impact, now it is good for you again.
Eggs were good for you in the 70's, then they contained too much cholesterol, no they are a must have superfood.

Old March 10th 18, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

A pity it doesn't seem to give them the bones of a 20 year old but
rather the opposite :-

"Sporting-related cervical fractures increased by 35 percent from 2000
to 2015, mainly due to an increase in cycling-related injuries,
according to research presented at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)"

There isn't any such thing as a charismatic ailment but if a pleasant looking fit person checks into the hospital with a broken bone or bloody arm he gets treated better than some disgusting fat slob who didn't really maintain his health and was in there because he was obese, i.e., heart attack, cancer, etc.

It doesn't matter how professional the health care providers.

No one has mentioned this before but there are allocation of resources issues at times in any industry. If the ER is swamped with flu patients and a cyclist who was hit by a car is dropped off in an ambulance, they'll work on him first.

It's human nature.

Bret Cahill

Old March 12th 18, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 2:51:50 PM UTC, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 3/8/2018 10:58 AM, Simon Jester wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

Infatuation with older men's bodies noted.

Pointing out that cyclists live longer healthier lives is not an infatuation old chap.

You still have not explained why you drive on the wrong side of the road.