Claiming after an accident

Old January 30th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
BJaY

Default Claiming after an accident

Hi,
I recently had a prang with a motorist, who drove at the side of me
while I was waiting to turn right. I have an old Claud butler / Reynolds
based frame and the impact was fairly significant, though little damage
showed. My qestion is this : Is it true to say that any aluminium part
involved in a non-trivial collision whould need to be replaced ? Is the same
true of an old high performance steel frame ? As I understand it, both
materials can develop cracks which could cause failure and the collision
effected the front end of the bicycle. I intend to claim for replacement
forks (531), stem (Aluminium), bars (Aluminium) and headset. Is this
reasonable ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Old January 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
rola

BJaY wrote:
Hi,
I recently had a prang with a motorist, who drove at the side of me
while I was waiting to turn right. I have an old Claud butler / Reynolds
based frame and the impact was fairly significant, though little damage
showed. My qestion is this : Is it true to say that any aluminium part
involved in a non-trivial collision whould need to be replaced ? Is the same
true of an old high performance steel frame ? As I understand it, both
materials can develop cracks which could cause failure and the collision
effected the front end of the bicycle. I intend to claim for replacement
forks (531), stem (Aluminium), bars (Aluminium) and headset. Is this
reasonable ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Depending on where the impact was I would go whole frame as well. I was
in a collision where the driver t-boned me, and unfortunately was not
conscious enough to see where he actually hit me. Bottom line I was hit,
and fractures can become breaks at any time. Regardless of how likely it
is, I made clear that the driver had tried to kill me once, I don't want
his insurers to have another pop at me by compromising my safety.

Just got a deal off of the insurers to give me 120% of what I initially
paid out, or about 90% of a 2007 model. Press hard to make sure you are
in a satisfactory position - you didn't ask to be hit :-)

Old February 1st 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Jan 30, 9:59 am, "BJaY" wrote:
Hi,
I recently had a prang with a motorist, who drove at the side of me
while I was waiting to turn right. I have an old Claud butler / Reynolds
based frame and the impact was fairly significant, though little damage
showed. My qestion is this : Is it true to say that any aluminium part
involved in a non-trivial collision whould need to be replaced ? Is the same
true of an old high performance steel frame ? As I understand it, both
materials can develop cracks which could cause failure and the collision
effected the front end of the bicycle. I intend to claim for replacement
forks (531), stem (Aluminium), bars (Aluminium) and headset. Is this
reasonable ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Get a lawyer..it's what they do....

Old February 1st 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

Get a lawyer..it's what they do....

Except if you do that you will end up winning maybe but the lawyer will get
half of your bike ; [

Definitely ask for a new bike.
Bent frame that is microscopic in nature will bite you in the ass later.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Feb 1, 11:11 am, "nash" wrote:
Get a lawyer..it's what they do....

Except if you do that you will end up winning maybe but the lawyer will get
half of your bike ; [

Definitely ask for a new bike.
Bent frame that is microscopic in nature will bite you in the ass later.

If the crash was violent enough to kill a bicycle, it waqs violent
enough in other areas. Not just a bicycle, but injuries specific to
this accident. Look, I got smacked from behind while riding by a woman
who fell asleep at 10:30 in the morning and I was going to settle for
'just my bike' since her insurance paid for the medical bills and
offhandedly talked to a lawyer friend..Best thing I ever did.
I wasn't looking to 'score' but had long term injuries, both physical
and mental, that I deal with today, 4 1/2 years later....get a lawyer.
The insurance companies and people who cause these accidents just want
a cheap and fast solution.

Apparent virus claiming to come from cyclingforums Simon Brooke UK 1 July 4th 06 09:36 AM
A bit of an accident Chris UK 62 April 17th 05 09:48 PM
almost and accident woodworking_greg Racing 8 October 15th 04 05:54 PM
[OT] CONservation hooligans at work, RSPB, WT, WWT, SNH slaughtering wildlife by the million while claiming to protect wildlife. Mark Thompson UK 2 February 22nd 04 05:59 PM
What to do when in an accident? Adrian Boliston UK 19 September 3rd 03 04:24 PM