relatively amusing craig's list ad

Old April 22nd 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default relatively amusing Craig's list ad

Tom Sherman wrote:
Rex Kerr wrote:
It met and
exceeded my expectations much more than my recumbent experience did!!
(Hi Tom!)

Sorry to hear about your handicap.

Handicap? And besides, it's not the first time that you've heard that I
didn't fall in love with my recumbent!

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old April 22nd 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Rex Kerr wrote:

though I cringe to think of them riding brakeless [fixed gear] in
skater shoes on platform pedals.

That's one way to prevent being bucked off when you forget to pedal.
Losing the pedals is way better than getting body-slammed by your
odious bitchy bike. Consult the referenced Craigslist posting for
corroboration.

My one and only fixed-gear bike (a Surly 1x1) sported both Time ATACs
and barefoot flat pedals during the time I had it, and I liked the
flats much better in that context. I did have two good strong brakes,
though.

Everything I liked about my fixie, I like about my coaster-braked
bike-- silence, simplicity, light weight, efficiency, clean
appearance, intuitive operation. Everything I hated and feared about
my fixie isn't even a factor on my "coastie".

In light of the alternatives, I think a fixed-gear bike is comparable
to a quill pen, straight razor, or kerosene lantern. It's
entertaining for a little while, it imposes perils that tend to keep
you on your toes, but mostly it instills gratitude and appreciation at
the simple technological innovations that have made life better since
the 19th century.

Chalo
Old April 22nd 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:59:48 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:
\
I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

[1] I have tried doing so as a tandem stoker and it did not go well.

You have a limited arc of pedal rotation in which to grasp, adjust
and release a toe straps before hitting your chin on a handle bar or
a behind. Double straps must be twice the fun.

My fixed wheel bike has Eggbeaters because I like riding it without
bothering with toe straps. Toe straps, especially doubles, are
popular again since "NJS" is a buzz among the hipster fixer crowd

I don't do free style hipster fixer trix so I don't need flat pedals
on my fixed wheel bike with two rim brakes and fenders.

If I wanted to skid, I'd ride a coaster brake.
--
zk
Old April 22nd 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Rex Kerr wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Rex Kerr wrote:
It met and exceeded my expectations much more than my recumbent
experience did!! (Hi Tom!)

Sorry to hear about your handicap.

Handicap? And besides, it's not the first time that you've heard that I
didn't fall in love with my recumbent!

The is obviously something wrong with anyone who does not prefer the
recumbent bicycle to all other forms!!!

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not something
I would want to do on a regular basis.

Old April 22nd 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Chalo wrote:
Rex Kerr wrote:
though I cringe to think of them riding brakeless [fixed gear] in
skater shoes on platform pedals.

That's one way to prevent being bucked off when you forget to pedal.
Losing the pedals is way better than getting body-slammed by your
odious bitchy bike. Consult the referenced Craigslist posting for
corroboration.

The CL guy went down once because his worn out SPD let go while skip
braking, I don't think that was really a FG crash, more of a clipless
crash (of which I've seen several). Skip braking is dumb, anyway.

His second crash was after drinking & tried to coast. I think maybe his
reflexes were affected. Anyway, tricks are for kids, they heal faster.

Everything I liked about my fixie, I like about my coaster-braked
bike-- silence, simplicity, light weight, efficiency, clean
appearance, intuitive operation. Everything I hated and feared about
my fixie isn't even a factor on my "coastie".

In light of the alternatives, I think a fixed-gear bike is comparable
to a quill pen, straight razor, or kerosene lantern. It's
entertaining for a little while, it imposes perils that tend to keep
you on your toes, but mostly it instills gratitude and appreciation at
the simple technological innovations that have made life better since
the 19th century.

I've got a freewheel on one side of my fixed wheel. I flip it to ride
off road. It's not the same feeling at all. I used to ride 10-speed
junkers without derailers, just shortening the chain to fit a middle
sprocket on a freewheel, so I thought I knew what a fixer would feel
like (so I didn't bother with one for many years). My first few rides on
a fixer were not too fun, I was thinking about it way too much, but,
like clipless, once my reflexes got trained I could just go with the
flow. It seems much like switching between manual & automatic shifting
on a car. I don't know how, but my mind switches without conscious
effort even if years have passed without touching a stick.

What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA. For light, low powered
cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
the same.
Old April 22nd 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Tom Sherman wrote:
Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not something
I would want to do on a regular basis.

Regular basis? How often, exactly, do you expect fixie riders to have
to do that? I only do it intentionally (to pedal with one foot for a
while, for example)... When starting/stopping it's just like any other
bike, I clip in mid stroke. Do you stop pedaling after you start moving
to clip in? That said, I still can't get the hang of clips & straps and
really don't want to anyhow considering how many close calls I've had
with those, even on a regular bike!!

Old April 22nd 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Peter Cole wrote:
Chalo wrote:

His second crash was after drinking & tried to coast. I think maybe his
reflexes were affected. Anyway, tricks are for kids, they heal faster.

I sometimes try to coast, but the sensation of getting pulled down hits
you so fast that you quickly right that mistake. It happens quite
rarely now that I've ridden more than a few thousand miles on the fixed.
In fact, after a few days of riding the fixed, if I switch back I get
the same mental "oh #!?!*" moment the first time I start to coast, then
I quickly remember that it's OK... :-)

I've got a freewheel on one side of my fixed wheel. I flip it to ride
off road. It's not the same feeling at all.

Exactly... He said that everything that he liked about a fixed he could
get from a freewheel, and I disagree. The momentum through the pedal
stroke that I described just doesn't exist. I never used my freewheel
when I had a flip-flip hub, now I don't even have one at all.

What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA. For light, low powered
cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
the same.

Yup... I prefer manual transmissions as well... oh, and fountain pens
too. (to address the previous poster)

Old April 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Rex Kerr wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since
you have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not
something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Regular basis? How often, exactly, do you expect fixie riders to have
to do that? I only do it intentionally (to pedal with one foot for a
while, for example)... When starting/stopping it's just like any other
bike, I clip in mid stroke. Do you stop pedaling after you start moving
to clip in?

Often times I briefly pause to clip in the second foot.

I have been around too many industrial accidents, so I have an aversion
to putting any body part near any type of moving machinery.

That said, I still can't get the hang of clips & straps and
really don't want to anyhow considering how many close calls I've had
with those, even on a regular bike!!

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.

Old April 23rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default OT: Motor Vehicle Transmissions

Peter Cole wrote:
[...]
What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA.

Those people should be banned from driving for life. If a person can not
drive a vehicle lacking syncromesh, he/she should not be issued a license.

For light, low powered
cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
the same.

Automatic transmissions suck out too much power, cause a huge delay in
increasing acceleration while they down shift (extremely annoying when
exiting a corner) and are otherwise a general annoyance. The 90% of US
vehicles that only offer an automatic transmission are automatically
(pun intended) off my shopping list.

Old April 23rd 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.

No they're not.

Besides, double straps + cleats are still
de rigeur in track racing. And rightfully
so in that particular avocation, where the
second-to-last thing one wants is pull-outs
from one's pedals.

Chinook Jargon isn't obsolete either. It often
has more concise nuance than plain English.

Clipless pedals are too skookum.

klahowya,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Amusing stuff Bill C Racing 1 December 26th 07 11:58 PM
I just got a new unicycle(amusing story) dan de man Unicycling 12 May 15th 07 02:07 PM
Another amusing annecdote TimC Australia 7 May 12th 06 09:12 AM
Amusing clipping.. Richard Adams Racing 1 July 24th 05 02:11 AM
Mildy amusing Willowbeauty UK 4 August 15th 03 01:05 AM