Kerry's flat tires

Old October 21st 04, 09:56 PM
maxo

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:05:36 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

Patching isn't always possible, especially when it's
raining.

I just patched my front in a thunderstorm yesterday.

The secret is to make a little tent out of you rain coat, then pull out
only the inch or so of affected tube and patch.

I never carry a tube, only patches since I find them faster, I learned to
fix flats on 3spds, so I got in the habit of leaving the wheels on LOL In
the last twenty years I've had only one occasion where I needed a new
tube--a few weeks ago my valve stem just fell out. Psssst. In the rain.
LOL, fun 2 mile walk home in cleats. At least I was close. Hopefully it
will be another twenty years till the next time. Knock knock.

Old October 21st 04, 10:04 PM
maxo

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:05:36 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

Kevlar belts don't do
that much, though. Anything pointed will go right through the belt, since
it is fabric.

They do slow the intrusion down. When I'm riding belted tires and I hit an
obvious shard, I can almost always cup the tire with my gloved palm (or
stop if I'm feeling sane ;D) and get the glass out before it goes all
the way through.

For super sharp stuff and nails, then you're right, it'll go right through.

That said, I usually only ride belteds if they're on sale since I'm a
cheap bastage.

Old October 21st 04, 10:59 PM
gooserider

"Art Harris" wrote in message
m...
John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd

I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!

You don't think he's going to get his hands dirty? I, for one, would have
been impressed if he whipped out his levers and fixed his own flat.

Old October 21st 04, 11:03 PM
gooserider

"dgk" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:46:45 -0500, "di" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
om...
John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd

I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!

"Harris" Poll:

Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?

I can just see it now, a big black limo with a spare bike and wheels
strapped to the top.

Would you think more of a candidate who fixed his own flats?

Only if there were no camera present.

Which candidate do you think is a better bike mechanic?

Neither, they both are idiots

How will the above affect who you vote for?

Not at all.

Art Harris

He probably picked up some glass riding around the parking lot trying to
stay in front of the camera.

I think you're wrong. Of course this is a photo opportunity. We have a
nation filled with stupid boob tube watching slobs. Not meaning to
insult the more active and intelligent slobs, such as myself. Nor the
actual thinking people who are not slobs.

Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
politics in order to make things better. I was listening to a bit of a
speech just given by Gore, and I was thinking that it's too bad that
he wasn't like this when he was running for President. But that was
the key. They all run safe. Keep to the middle. Don't anger anyone.
Get it out in a ten second soundbite. Don't speak too long because
your audience has the attention span of a low grade moron.

Don't examine multiple sides of an issue. We need steadfast
leadership, even if it is wrong.

The fact that people think there is no difference between these two
scares the hell out of me. The fact that anyone is voting for Bush
scares me even more.

Seeing as how they are both East Coast blueblood elitists, Yalies, and Skull
and Bonesmen, they are both very, very similar. Two sons of privilege. Bush
sucks, but so does Kerry. Neither one has had a real job, or done a hard
day's work in their lives. Kerry went to VietNam, but he must be the only
guy to get three Purple Hearts and never be medevaced. They both suck. We
need a viable third party, or even a fourth. But as long as the GOP and Dems
get to control the debates that's not going to happen.

Old October 21st 04, 11:06 PM
gooserider

"Larry Farrell" wrote in message
di wrote:
Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
politics in order to make things better.

You're kidding of course? But if not, I've got some swampland in

Arizona
for sale.

Kerry is a world class liar, and an opportunists that thinks of nothing

but
himself. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body.

Stereotypical description of a politician. What else would you expect
from someone who is running for President of the United States?

Well, you forgot that in order to run a candidate needs LOTS of money.
Either it's his own or he's taken so many campaign contributions that he's
totally beholden to special interest. I don't like Bush, but I really don't
think two lawyers are going to do anything about tort reform. And if there
is no tort reform nothing is going to happen to reduce the cost of health
care, no matter what Kerry says. They both suck. :-)

Old October 21st 04, 11:09 PM
gooserider

"dgk" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:23:16 -0500, "di" wrote:

Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
politics in order to make things better.

You're kidding of course? But if not, I've got some swampland in

Arizona
for sale.

Kerry is a world class liar, and an opportunists that thinks of nothing

but
himself. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body.

No I'm not kidding. What has he lied about?

How about when the Hibernians popped him for claiming to be Irish? He's NOT,
you know. No Irish heritage. His grandfather was a Hungarian Jew who changed
the name to Kerry to avoid discrimination in the US. I think saying he
doesn't own an SUV but his family owns seven qualifies as a lie. He's just a
sleazy career politician. You don't get to be a career senator without being
a liar. Period. Honest people don't sell their souls enough to get
re-elected.

Old October 21st 04, 11:30 PM
maxo

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:09:14 +0000, gooserider wrote:

I think
saying he doesn't own an SUV but his family owns seven qualifies as a lie.

Is that the best you can come up with? Yawn. Probably just a slip of the
tongue, and even if it is a lie, what a teensy one it is.

Seems to me he's spent much of the last 20 years exposing lies and
scandal, including investigating the Iran-Contra affair, and voting his
conscience--not the party line. That I respect.

The more I learn about him,the more I really like him.

The vote to give authority to use force if necessary was just that, it was
the authority for the president to wave a big club, BUT, to go to war only
after going through steps one two and three. Bush skipped straight through
to the war part. I honestly don't think that Kerry thought that we'd ever
go to war, but he had faith in the president to use the threat of power
effectively. I fully understand his vote considering the circumstances.
Kerry had faith that GWB was telling the truth about the WMDs--regardless
of party affiliation, US presidents are usually gravely honest about stuff
like this. Usually. Ugh, stupid Bush.

Kerry has the potential to be one of the greatest presidents in modern
history--that's big praise coming from a former Dean supporter. Unlike
Bush's empty claim of being a "uniter", Kerry actually has done that in
the Senate. He's earned the admiration of both the left and right for
being a fighter and a slogger for stuff that the average American just
won't understand--that's why it's hard to speak about his record in sound
bites. His voting record because of traditional absences required by a
presidential candidate, appears to be fairly liberal this session, but
look back over twenty years and it's quite obvious that he's a moderate.

I'm not a moderate, but quite a lefty, but I don't think that my president
needs to be. My president needs to represent all of America's citizens,
and Kerry comes much closer to doing that than Bush.

My 2c.

Old October 21st 04, 11:37 PM
maxo

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:06:25 +0000, gooserider wrote:

And if
there is no tort reform nothing is going to happen to reduce the cost of
health care, no matter what Kerry says.

Bull****. Litigation as a percentage of health care costs is around 5%. It
should be dealt with, but it's not the elephant in the room.

The first thing that needs to be dealt with is Medicare's inability to
bulk purchase and negotiate the price of drugs. Pricing needs to be taken
out of the hands of the drug manufacturers and put back into the market's.
The rest of the western world may have single-payer medicine, which some
mistakenly call "socialized", but at least they can negotiate the price of
drugs, sounds more democratic and less fascistic to me...We'll move on
from there.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:04 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:25:55 GMT, maxo wrote:

Fixing the flat would indeed impress me, but only if he patched the tube,
not replaced it. Symbolism dontcha know.

Kerry road "fix-it" tip:

If you're ever caught out on the road and get a rip in the sidewall of
your tire, and you don't have a dollar bill or a GU package to make an
improvised "Boot" for the tire, one of those little teeny ketchup
packages works real well. Suck the ketchup out first, though. Or
drip it on your arm and go see the Doc.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:11 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:04:05 GMT, maxo wrote:

That said, I usually only ride belteds if they're on sale since I'm a
cheap bastage.

What's the best value (brand, vendor) you've found thus far?

Thanks.