What kind of bike is this?

Old September 26th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
martin lynch

Default What kind of bike is this?

I saw an old Trek, perhaps 15 years old or so... the top tube looked
like it had another top tube that runs just below and parallel to it.
I think the bike was a Trek 470, 400 or 520 or something like that.
What kind of bike is this... meaning from what year(s), and why did
they make the top tube like that?

Old September 26th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On 25 Sep 2006 20:11:37 -0700, "martin lynch"
wrote:

I saw an old Trek, perhaps 15 years old or so... the top tube looked
like it had another top tube that runs just below and parallel to it.
I think the bike was a Trek 470, 400 or 520 or something like that.
What kind of bike is this... meaning from what year(s), and why did
they make the top tube like that?

Are you sure that wasn't a frame pump clipped in just below the top
tube? From a distance, that looks like a second tube.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"martin lynch" writes:

I saw an old Trek, perhaps 15 years old or so... the top tube looked
like it had another top tube that runs just below and parallel to it.
I think the bike was a Trek 470, 400 or 520 or something like that.
What kind of bike is this... meaning from what year(s), and why did
they make the top tube like that?

Sometimes this is done with gigantic bicycles, i.e. 27" framesets and
larger, to get a stiffer frame.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old September 27th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Donald Gillies" wrote in message
"martin lynch" writes:

I saw an old Trek, perhaps 15 years old or so... the top tube looked
like it had another top tube that runs just below and parallel to it.
I think the bike was a Trek 470, 400 or 520 or something like that.
What kind of bike is this... meaning from what year(s), and why did
they make the top tube like that?

Sometimes this is done with gigantic bicycles, i.e. 27" framesets and
larger, to get a stiffer frame.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

The old English "Bobbie" Policemen's bikes had 2 top bars also.

Chas.

Bike Weight redux Doug Taylor Techniques 100 March 25th 06 10:29 PM
The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM