Addition to "Required Reading for the Entire Planet"

Old October 5th 08, 10:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Addition to "Required Reading for the Entire Planet"

Margulis, Lynn and Dorion Sagan, Dazzle Gradually - Reflections on the
Nature of Nature. White River Junction, Vermont: Chelsea Green
Publishing, c. 2007.
"For as long as I can remember, when someone asked me what I
wanted to be when I grew up, I answered, 'An explorer and a writer.'
Explorer of what? As a child, I didn't know: undersea cities, African
jungle pyramids, unmapped tropical islands, polar caves. 'Whatever
will need exploring,' I said without hesitation." p.3. "We are
recombinations of the metabolic processes of bacteria that appeared
during the accumulation of atmospheric oxygen some two thousand
million years ago. We tend to separate ourselves from the rest of
life, yet without the others, especially the microbial others, we
would sink in our feces, drown in our urine, and choke in the carbon
dioxide we exhale." p.35.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old October 6th 08, 06:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bolo

You should live in cave.
You waste 8 years of your life for nothing. Get a one.
Seriously - sincerely