What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

Old July 29th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
trino

Default What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

Impressive Carl

Old July 30th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:44:18 -0700, Mark Hickey

But titanium is as easy or easier to cut than steel if you're using a
hand hacksaw to destroy a single chain link.

This is very much counter to my own experience. I've been absolutely
amazed at how long it takes to cut through a titanium quick release
skewer bolt - MUCH longer than it would a similar piece of steel.
Similarly, drilling through titanium takes much, much longer than
steel, IME. I think your (snipped) information on cutting/machining
titanium supports my experience. Perhaps a well-schooled thief with a
very sharp hacksaw and appropriate lubrication would do better... but
I suspect most of 'em would be frustated by the effort required to cut
through a U-lock's worth of titanium.

I can't compare how long it takes to saw frames in half though, since
I've never had the occasion to do so. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Dear Mark,

Steel and "titanium" are alloys, which vary, but . . .

"Hardness. Titanium is a much harder metal than aluminum and
approaches the high hardness possessed by some of the heat-treated
alloy steels. Iodide purity titanium has a hardness of 90 VHN
(Vickers), unalloyed commercial titanium has a hardness of about 160
VHN and when alloyed and heat-treated, titanium can attain hardnesses
in the range of 250 to 500 VHN. A typical commercial alloy of 130,000
psi yield strength might be expected to have a hardness of about 320
VHN or 34 Rockwell C."
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article126.htm

Here are an amateur's results for testing bike locks and chains (no
titanium):
http://www.slate.com/id/2140083

Somehow I doubt that he was using a very good hacksaw blade.

Here's a single HSS hacksaw blade for $1.09:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Here's the common 8-cent carbon blade in a $4 pack of 50 blades:

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old July 31st 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

wrote:
Steel and "titanium" are alloys, which vary, but . . .
"Hardness. Titanium is a much harder metal than aluminum and
approaches the high hardness possessed by some of the heat-treated
alloy steels. Iodide purity titanium has a hardness of 90 VHN
(Vickers), unalloyed commercial titanium has a hardness of about 160
VHN and when alloyed and heat-treated, titanium can attain hardnesses
in the range of 250 to 500 VHN. A typical commercial alloy of 130,000
psi yield strength might be expected to have a hardness of about 320
VHN or 34 Rockwell C."
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article126.htm
-snip-

While not an expert, my intuition is that a surface treatment or full
tempering is the difference between Mark's experience (difficult) and my
own ( no problemo) Things I cut easily include handlebars, steerers and
a stem (that was curiosity, not actual work). There is probably a wide
range of hardness from annealed to tempered material so my earlier comments
I haven't cut a Habanero frame either. But milling head tubes is
straightforward with TIN tools and 'aluminum' cutting fluid.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org