Discussion of internal geared hubs for touring bikes?

Old November 10th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Discussion of internal geared hubs for touring bikes?

I'm specing out a bike for use as my only bike which
will be a daily commuter as well as once or twice a
year long distance camping tour.

I'm investigating having this bike built using internal
geared hubs or some combo thereof.

Right now the only two systems I'm semi informed on are
the SRAM dual drive. see link

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html

The other option is the totally internal Rohloff. see
link

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

So I'm soliciting opinions on both these system as well
as other systems I'm not aware of.
Old November 13th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Joel Mayes

On 2006-11-10, wrote:
I'm specing out a bike for use as my only bike which
will be a daily commuter as well as once or twice a
year long distance camping tour.

I'm investigating having this bike built using internal
geared hubs or some combo thereof.

Right now the only two systems I'm semi informed on are
the SRAM dual drive. see link

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html

The other option is the totally internal Rohloff. see
link

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

So I'm soliciting opinions on both these system as well
as other systems I'm not aware of.

I know people who have toured on both for many years with no hick-ups,
the only problem I know of with the Rohloff hubs, if you use them on a
tandem with out of sync pedals, a dog clutch wears out (after several
years of use)

Cheers

Joel
Old November 13th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chris Neary

Right now the only two systems I'm semi informed on are
the SRAM dual drive. see link

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html

The other option is the totally internal Rohloff. see
link

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

So I'm soliciting opinions on both these system as well
as other systems I'm not aware of.

There has been considerable discussion of the Rohloff system on the tandem
email list. The archives are available via the bikelist.org search tool:
http://search.bikelist.org/

You may also find more limited discussion of the SRAM system there.

Good luck!

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old November 13th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
trailgalore

On 2006-11-10, wrote:
I'm investigating having this bike built using internal
geared hubs or some combo thereof.
Right now the only two systems I'm semi informed on are
the SRAM dual drive. see link
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html
The other option is the totally internal Rohloff. see link
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

So I'm soliciting opinions on both these system as well as other systems
I'm not aware of.

Another I know http://www.schlumpf.ch/

Discussion of internal geared hubs for touring bikes? [email protected] Techniques 28 November 18th 06 09:07 AM
Chainring Conversion For Shimano Nexus 7 Internal geared hub gdb415 General 3 May 23rd 06 04:33 AM
Experience with internal hubs? Earl Bollinger General 7 December 30th 05 01:49 AM
geared unicycle hubs edge Unicycling 4 May 20th 05 03:33 AM
WTB: internal gear hubs Reagen B. Ward Marketplace 1 June 7th 04 09:40 AM