Preserving en-route repair material

Old November 18th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Preserving en-route repair material

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 5:08:52 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

As probably many of you, I keep essential repair tools and material in a
small bag under my saddle, that is: a folding screwdriver, a spare inner
tube, tire levers, patches, sandpaper and glue. And disposable plastic
gloves!

Anyway, I have an issue with preserving the spare inner tube and the
glue over time. I noticed the tube gets punctured, apparently by
abrasion, and the glue slowly evaporates, like its tube is not really
airtight.

I read somewhere that I could protect the tube by keeping it tightly
wrapped into an old sock, which I will try, but would you have any
advice regarding the glue?

Cheers,

--
Tanguy

Somewhere or other I got a small pull sting bag that I keep the spare tube in. This is soft enough that it doesn't rub holes in the tube. Instead of carrying a "normal" patch kit and its tendency to dry the glue out after puncturing the glue tube the first time you can carry https://sportfactoryproshop.com/park...per-patch-kit/

There is one weakness with these: you HAVE to inflate them to pressure the first time INSIDE the tire so that the pressure completely presses the patch into the tube for awhile. This is a weakness if the tube has a couple of holes and you need to find them separately.