Great Trial of Strength

Old June 24th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Great Trial of Strength

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.
--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/
Old June 24th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Sorry, I made a small typo-error. The correct is:

http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/sho...lbum=GTOS_2006

Old June 24th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

In article ,
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.
Old June 25th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

No, it is not. if you start in the morning, you don't have any option of
stopping (only stops for filling up bottles and pockets).

Last time I did the ride (2 years ago), I used 16h 20m and with 5 short
stops of a total of 19m 30s.

In BPB you do have an option of stopping for a long rest (some hours).

Old June 25th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

No, it is not. if you start in the morning, you don't have any option of
stopping (only stops for filling up bottles and pockets).

Don't you always have the option of stopping for awhile? It'll just
count against your time. I don't see the distinction in that respect
between this ride, PBP, or the even longer RAAM (at least in the
Traditional -Solo division).

Old June 25th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

peter wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest
one-stage race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

No, it is not. if you start in the morning, you don't have any option of
stopping (only stops for filling up bottles and pockets).

Don't you always have the option of stopping for awhile? It'll just
count against your time. I don't see the distinction in that respect
between this ride, PBP, or the even longer RAAM (at least in the
Traditional -Solo division).

Many people do this 548 km long ride wihtout stopping too much. I once
stopped for 2+ hours, but that was because I was totaly 'bonked'.

Like PBP, there is a time limit here, which force you not to stop for a
night sleep.
Old June 26th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Tim McNamara wrote:

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

Do (or can) people ride the whole 1200km P-B-P without a
rest stop? I thought the ckeckpoints forced a minimum time
for completing the course (min 40 hr max 90 hr??).

I've been trying to sort the different names for "Challenge_riding"
events. What's the difference between "Brevet", "Audax", "Cyclosportive"
and the Swedish concept of "motionslopp" (for example Vätternrundan)
What does GTOS fit into?

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old June 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

David Dermott wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Tim McNamara wrote:

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

Do (or can) people ride the whole 1200km P-B-P without a
rest stop? I thought the ckeckpoints forced a minimum time
for completing the course (min 40 hr max 90 hr??).

I've been trying to sort the different names for "Challenge_riding"
events. What's the difference between "Brevet", "Audax", "Cyclosportive"
and the Swedish concept of "motionslopp" (for example Vätternrundan)
What does GTOS fit into?

In Norwegian, rides like the Swedish Vätternrundan, and the
Styrkeprøven, and numerous other rides are called "Turritt" which
means "tour ride" and they are more or less the same as any organized
timed "Century" type ride in the US. Usually the start is done in waves
of 100 riders or so every 5-10 minutes. Often there are prestigious
club team competitions for the best cumulative time for a 10 man team
(or the best 10 out of how ever many you have). These events draw all
sorts people from all age levels and fitness groups. For example the
"winners" this year did the 540km in 14:02, my 19:02 was good enough
for 587th place, and there were about 1800 finishers in all, with times
up to 40 hours or so.

The regular racing scene in Norway is not that well developed, so lots
of quite fit people participate in these events. People who in other
countries might do more regular racing. So in Norway the level of the
fastest times is quite high. For example this year the Mjøsa Rundt
235km (146mi) race winners had an average speed of 44km/h (27.3mph)
despite heavy headwinds for last 100km.

The winning teams in Tr-Osl do not stop. They get hand-offs of
food/drink/clothes as necessary from helpers on the side of the road.
Hand-offs from cars are not allowed. Some people stop all the time. I
am sort of in the fast end of middle-of-the-pack and I rode the first
200km non-stop, then stopped at 310km, 400km, and 480km, and then the
finish. All my stops were at official food-depots where there were
bread, bananas, etc. I am a pretty typical participant stopping at some
of the food-stops but not all.

Joseph

Old June 26th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

peter wrote:
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Pictures from this years Great Trial of Strength, the longest one-stage
race/ride in the world, is now available:

www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/show.php?map=GTOS_2006

Enjoy it.

Is it longer than Paris-Brest-Paris (1200+ km)? Many people ride that
in one go, other than stopping in at the required checkpoints.

No, it is not. if you start in the morning, you don't have any option of
stopping (only stops for filling up bottles and pockets).

Don't you always have the option of stopping for awhile? It'll just
count against your time. I don't see the distinction in that respect
between this ride, PBP, or the even longer RAAM (at least in the
Traditional -Solo division).

These are drafting legal events, with no time-trial bars allowed.
Basically it is some big organized clubs with support cars doing a
monster team time-trial with a whole bunch of independant riders trying
to stick to their wheel while juggling the logistics of stopping at
food-depots with not losing contact with a good group. You can do it as
fast as you like, and you can stop as often as you wish. The official
event has time cutoffs due to safety issues (the event runs on open
roads, many of which are normally closed to cyclists). I think the
cut-off is 40 hours.

Joseph

Old June 27th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On 26 Jun 2006 wrote:

In Norwegian, rides like the Swedish Vätternrundan, and the
Styrkeprøven, and numerous other rides are called "Turritt" which
means "tour ride" and they are more or less the same as any organized
timed "Century" type ride in the US. Usually the start is done in waves
of 100 riders or so every 5-10 minutes. Often there are prestigious
club team competitions for the best cumulative time for a 10 man team
(or the best 10 out of how ever many you have). These events draw all
sorts people from all age levels and fitness groups. For example the
"winners" this year did the 540km in 14:02, my 19:02 was good enough
for 587th place, and there were about 1800 finishers in all, with times
up to 40 hours or so.

Congratulations Joseph on your Styrkeprøven finish! I considered
entering (for about 10 minutes, entered Swedish VR instead) on my
first trip to Norway (1994). My estimated time would have been
just under the 40 hour limit.

The organization of the Swedish VR seemed similar to the club
"century" rides I've done in Canada (on a much larger scale!).
But it seems that there is no official time ranking of finishers,
results are listed alphabetically.

Styrkeprøven's official site is:
http://www.styrkeproven.no/styrk2003/index.shtml (Norsk, English,
Deutsch)
I also noticed that there
is a new book about Styrkeprøven:
http://www.cappelen.no/main/katalog....id=3988&f=1340

PS There are full Wikipedia articles on Styrkeprøven in both Norwegian and
German, but none in English. I put in a "stub" article. Are there
any volunteers (preferably with personal experience) to fill it
out? :-)

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrkepr%C3%B8ven
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrkepr%C3%B8ven
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrkepr%C3%B8ven