What used touring bike to look for?

Old October 24th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default What used touring bike to look for?

I may buy a used touring bike for a long distance tour
next year.

What models on eBay could I find that would be
suitable?

Old October 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

R Brickston rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote:

What models on eBay could I find that would be
suitable?

Trek 520

Ok thanks

I haven't kept up on equip for a number of years so
didn't really know what the "Ford Taurus" of touring
bikes would be.

Altho I have the money to buy new equip....I've decide
to go with used... at least until I learn better what I
need/like.
Old October 25th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
John Everett

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:16:11 -0500, wrote:

I may buy a used touring bike for a long distance tour
next year.

Schwinn Voyageur (NOT the new model), Trek 520, Fuji Touring Series.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old October 25th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

R Brickston rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote:

I haven't kept up on equip for a number of years so
didn't really know what the "Ford Taurus" of touring
bikes would be.

I'd call it the Mack Truck of touring bikes, but you're right, in Ebay
sales it seems like there are 2 or 3 up every week.

Well I have so MUCH equip to buy that I've decided to
buy a new bike last

I don't have anything. Need clothing, camp gear, etc

Even tho I plan on going very light.....maybe
ultra-light....it's still gonna be some money wrapped
up in just gear.
Old October 26th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

John Everett
wrote:

I may buy a used touring bike for a long distance tour
next year.

Schwinn Voyageur (NOT the new model), Trek 520, Fuji Touring Series.

Thanks!

My goal would be to buy a used touring bike above......
go on some shake down tours... long ones.... learn what
I need ...learn what works.

Then resale the used bike on eBay at hopefully no loss.

Then go out and buy the new bike and follow old RT 66
from Southern CA back to Missouri (my home)
Old October 27th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

John Everett
wrote:

Schwinn Voyageur (NOT the new model), Trek 520, Fuji Touring Series.

Is my logic abt buying used a good one?
Old October 28th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
noweldrecumbent

I will second the Schwinn Voyageur Tourer, I have one, it is a joy to ride.
My Trek 520, and it is solid, stable, sweet touring bike to ride bought it
at a garage sale for 2 dollars. when I'm not riding the homebrew bent.
Dave
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

wrote in message
John Everett

Old October 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"noweldrecumbent"
wrote:

I will second the Schwinn Voyageur Tourer, I have one, it is a joy to ride.
My Trek 520, and it is solid, stable, sweet touring bike to ride bought it
at a garage sale for 2 dollars. when I'm not riding the homebrew bent.
Dave
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

wow

two bucks for a Trek 520!

Now THAT was a bargain. Was it in good shape when you
bought it?

My concern abt buying new is that I have no long
distance touring experience AT ALL.

I'm afraid I cold spend say $1500 on a new touring bike
and then find it to painful for anything over 40
miles....and have to take a loss and buy a bent.

So.... maybe best for me to buy cheap used stuff and
get some REAL experience under my belt so I will find
these things out before the big ride