Vote for Cadel

Old November 23rd 07, 12:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Default Vote for Cadel

artemidorus wrote:
A new first for me today - I saw a bicycle with disc brakes and a
kickstand.

How many points for a shopping basket, if enough I might get one!

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old November 23rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

artemidorus wrote:
A new first for me today - I saw a bicycle with disc brakes and a
kickstand.

Getting quite common. Big W bikes now have disk brakes. Why you would want a
small disc brake, which will put serious stresses into your front wheel
spokes, when you already have a much larger disk brake (rim) which puts no
or very little stress into your spokes, is totally beyond my understanding.

Please explain the benefits of disk over rim brakes.

Theo

Old November 23rd 07, 02:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Please explain the benefits of disk over rim brakes.

1) disks do not buckle
2) greater braking effect possible
3) less susceptible to weather effect, aka water on steel.
4) greater brake pad area = less brake pad fad from heat.
5) reduced spoke breakage
6) some other piece of bull****, since I could never afford them {:-0.

Old November 23rd 07, 08:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Terryc" wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Please explain the benefits of disk over rim brakes.

1) disks do not buckle
2) greater braking effect possible
3) less susceptible to weather effect, aka water on steel.
4) greater brake pad area = less brake pad fad from heat.
5) reduced spoke breakage

?? not so sure about the reduced spoke breakage

6) braking in dirty conditions doesn't wear out your rims
7) brake operation is unaffected by buckled rim
8) brake pads (tiny) will last you much longer - about 5-7000 kms, rim brake
pads can scrub out in one bad wet day's ride

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 23rd 07, 01:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

PeteSig wrote:

?? not so sure about the reduced spoke breakage

thinking less forces, aka no or reduced braking force through the spokes.

smoother, rather than the rough/pulsed braking direct on rim as it
wobbles from buckles, jerks from crud, etc. shrug as I said, I was
skimming it a bit. I've never owned them.

Old November 26th 07, 12:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
artemidorus[_10_]

Terryc Wrote:
PeteSig wrote:
thinking less forces, aka no or reduced braking force through the
spokes.

The opposite is true - forces acting on the spokes are much greater
with disc/hub brakes. It's why disc hubs have great big flanges - to
reduce spoke tension during braking.

--
artemidorus

Old November 26th 07, 01:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Terryc wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Please explain the benefits of disk over rim brakes.

1) disks do not buckle
2) greater braking effect possible
3) less susceptible to weather effect, aka water on steel.
4) greater brake pad area = less brake pad fad from heat.
5) reduced spoke breakage
6) some other piece of bull****, since I could never afford them {:-0.

1) there's a whole industry for buckled discs in cars.
2) Err, what? How? I can lock up my wheels on my rim-braked bikes, though I
try not to.
3) You have steel rims, or you have steel discs?
4) Smaller area to dissipate said heat from disc.
5) As Artimedoris said, the exact opposite is true. A disc on a radial
spoked front wheel could easily invite disaster.
6) Agreed.

Theo

Go, Go, Go Cadel!!!!! Patrick Turner Australia 6 July 29th 07 06:49 AM
Sustrans Connect2 projects, vote early vote often! Mike Causer UK 7 February 22nd 07 09:20 PM
Cadel didn't want to attack ? Keith Racing 1 July 21st 06 08:05 AM
Go Cadel! Steve Australia 32 May 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Cadel Evans David Ferguson Racing 0 July 22nd 05 03:14 AM