ultrasonic cleaners

Old November 24th 07, 11:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

Default ultrasonic cleaners

I have heard about using ultrasonic cleaners to clean a chain.

Has anyone here used one? What fluid do you use in it?

Old November 24th 07, 12:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Rex wrote:

I have heard about using ultrasonic cleaners to clean a chain.

Has anyone here used one?

I use one regularly. It visably gets more dirt out after just
thrashing the chain about in a bottle of clean solvent doesn't
get any more out.

What fluid do you use in it?

One which supports cavitation. There are special detergents
sold to add to water to promote cavitation in ultrasonic
cleaners. But I find that mineral turps works very well.

Cavitation is the process where minute vacuum bubbles are formed
in the liquid by localised pressure changes. These immediately
collapse violently, with the resultant shock waves loosening
dirt stuck hard to surfaces. Excessive and prolonged
cavitation will erode the metal itself.

John
Old November 25th 07, 07:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
heh heh

John Henderson wrote:
Rex wrote:

I have heard about using ultrasonic cleaners to clean a chain.

Has anyone here used one?

I use one regularly. It visably gets more dirt out after just
thrashing the chain about in a bottle of clean solvent doesn't
get any more out.

What fluid do you use in it?

One which supports cavitation. There are special detergents
sold to add to water to promote cavitation in ultrasonic
cleaners. But I find that mineral turps works very well.

Cavitation is the process where minute vacuum bubbles are formed
in the liquid by localised pressure changes. These immediately
collapse violently, with the resultant shock waves loosening
dirt stuck hard to surfaces. Excessive and prolonged
cavitation will erode the metal itself.

John

They have one at Aldi from this Thursday for $39.99. Is it the same
thing I wonder?
Old November 25th 07, 08:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

heh heh wrote:

They have one at Aldi from this Thursday for $39.99. Is it the
same thing I wonder?

That's a very good price, as long as it's big enough to clean a
chain effectively. It's a bit hard to tell from the photo on
http://www.aldi.com.au/ but it does look promising, with a 650
ml capacity tank.

John
Old November 25th 07, 11:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

That is why I was asking! Just wondering if it would be worthwhile.

I use kero to clean the chain at the moment - would this work in an
ultrasonic?

"heh heh" not@here wrote in message
u...

Old November 25th 07, 06:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Rex wrote:

That is why I was asking! Just wondering if it would be
worthwhile.

The advert says this one has a basket to put the items to be
cleaned into. Use of a basket makes the device more effective,
and last longer. But it reduces the physical payload size.

I use kero to clean the chain at the moment - would this work
in an ultrasonic?

It's worth a go. You'll soon see whether it gets dirt out of a
chain when just agitating it in clean kero won't remove any
more.

Kero sometimes gets bad press as a cleaning solvent. Turps was
cheaper when I last bought it, as well.

John
Old November 26th 07, 12:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

"John Henderson" wrote in message
Rex wrote:

That is why I was asking! Just wondering if it would be
worthwhile.

The advert says this one has a basket to put the items to be
cleaned into. Use of a basket makes the device more effective,
and last longer. But it reduces the physical payload size.

I use kero to clean the chain at the moment - would this work
in an ultrasonic?

It's worth a go. You'll soon see whether it gets dirt out of a
chain when just agitating it in clean kero won't remove any
more.

Kero sometimes gets bad press as a cleaning solvent. Turps was
cheaper when I last bought it, as well.

John

Whats the best way to get the kero out of the chain once you've finished
cleaning it??

Wont any left over kero break the oil down once you've given the chain a
lube?

Cheers Dre

Old November 26th 07, 12:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Dre wrote:

Whats the best way to get the kero out of the chain once
you've finished cleaning it??

Wont any left over kero break the oil down once you've given
the chain a lube?

I use warmth and time to get rid of turps after cleaning chains.
I hang them in the sun for a few hours.

If I'm impatient, I've been known to gently heat them on a stove
hotplate.

John
Old November 26th 07, 03:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

Dre wrote:

Whats the best way to get the kero out of the chain once
you've finished cleaning it??

Wont any left over kero break the oil down once you've given
the chain a lube?

I use warmth and time to get rid of turps after cleaning chains.
I hang them in the sun for a few hours.

If I'm impatient, I've been known to gently heat them on a stove
hotplate.

John

Ahhh, nice, so you just wait till it dries, thats easy enough!

In that case I'll just hang it up to dry before I go to bed, then put it
back on and lube it in the morning, done...

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers Dre

Old November 26th 07, 03:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

Dre wrote:

Whats the best way to get the kero out of the chain once
you've finished cleaning it??

Wont any left over kero break the oil down once you've given
the chain a lube?

I use warmth and time to get rid of turps after cleaning chains.
I hang them in the sun for a few hours.

If I'm impatient, I've been known to gently heat them on a stove
hotplate.

John

And I've only just noticed you mention turps, where I mention kero, is one
better than the other in your opinion??

I have a bottle of each but I'm curious whats best to use...

Cheers Dre

has anyone used an ultrasonic device on dogs? Pat in TX General 0 October 6th 06 03:49 PM
Are these cleaners bad to use on your bike? Earl Bollinger General 4 July 10th 06 01:35 AM
Chain Cleaners?? NYC XYZ General 20 March 6th 06 02:50 PM
Ultrasonic parts cleaners Dan Burkhart Techniques 8 November 28th 04 03:03 PM
Ultrasonic parts cleaners Dan Burkhart Techniques 0 November 28th 04 03:01 PM