NYC Cop taped knocking cyclist off bicycle fired.

Old February 20th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

Default NYC Cop taped knocking cyclist off bicycle fired.

http://planetsave.com/blog/2009/02/2...year-sentence/
Old February 21st 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://planetsave.com/blog/2009/02/2...year-sentence/

Fired, 4 years in the can, and banned from ever doing even a "Mall cop"
job would be fine with me. That guy does not qualify for a badge of any
sort.
Bill Baka
Old February 21st 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

wrote: Fired, 4 years in the can, and banned from ever
doing even a "Mall cop"
job would be fine with me. That guy does not qualify for a badge of any
sort.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is one of the problems of screening potential police officers--the
profession attracts people who are after the sense of power they get.

Four years in the can would be appropriate. Too bad they don't have special
prison garb for people like him, so they can experience the kind of
treatment they have been handing out to others.

Old February 22nd 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
slide[_2_]

Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://planetsave.com/blog/2009/02/2...year-sentence/

Was the guy on the bike hurt?
Old February 22nd 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" writes:

wrote: Fired, 4 years in the can, and banned from ever
doing even a "Mall cop"
job would be fine with me. That guy does not qualify for a badge of any
sort.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is one of the problems of screening potential police officers--the
profession attracts people who are after the sense of power they get.

The lyrics to Alice Cooper's song: "Leather Boots" off his
Flush the Fashion album apply. I urge you to look up the
lyrics. It's a pretty good poem.

Four years in the can would be appropriate. Too bad they don't have special
prison garb for people like him, so they can experience the kind of
treatment they have been handing out to others.

In my own life experience, I've noted how getting even
with others doesn't work, and doesn't satisfy.

I know some Native PNW people who have ways of healing people
who get ~too~ mean. They could bring 'em to sobbing tears,
thinking of the bad things they've done, and inspire them
to do better in future.

Justice isn't always vindictive. It often works best
when it's constructive, and aimed toward making a better
world. Of course that isn't always possible, and there'll
be some f*-ups who'll never learn.

I agree that the cop should be separated from any position
of authority for a while, and be put in a situation where
he has to take (and perhaps learn) direction & instruction.
And maybe mature for a couple of years.

Actually, this guy is half-way to being a good cop, I think.
All he needs now, if he has any kind of heart, is to know
what it's like to be on the other end of the authority stick.

If he could concentrate his efforts on taking drug dealers,
murderers, skinners and goofs off the streets, I'd be all
for him.

'specially on those days whnen I don't feel like wearing
an helmet.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old February 23rd 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 22, 2:51*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In my own life experience, I've noted how getting even
with others doesn't work, and doesn't satisfy.

I know some Native PNW people who have ways of healing people
who get ~too~ mean. *They could bring 'em to sobbing tears,
thinking of the bad things they've done, and inspire them
to do better in future.

Justice isn't always vindictive. *It often works best
when it's constructive, and aimed toward making a better
world.

Interesting sentiments.

I suppose this is OT, especially for something as argumentative as
Usenet. ;-) But I recall reading a slim little book many years ago.
It was all about changing people's behavior by non-vindictive means.
In fact, it had some examples of - I don't know, something like mind
control; changing someone's behavior by altering the "script" that
they'd pre-arranged for the anti-social act they had planned.

As an example: one tale was of an elderly woman in the inner city who
was walking home from the grocery with a bag in each arm, when she was
accosted by two thugs. They didn't say anything, but they fell in
walking one on each side of her, looking around to see if they were
observed. She knew a mugging was imminent. So she changed the
script! She immediately "assumed" they were there to help her carry
her groceries, and brightly gave a bag to each while being extremely
friendly. This put them off their game, so to speak, and they
actually carried them to her door.

I don't know, but it sounds like something the PNW Natives might have
used. And I've heard of Inuits rehabbing thieves by simply putting
them in the middle of a circle of villagers and laughing at them. No
confinement, nothing physical - just shame.

I sometimes think that if we put as much energy into psychological
science as into military science, we'd have a much better world. It's
something to try as individuals.

- Frank Krygowski