THE DESTRUCTIVE CERTAINTY OF THE UGLY ENGINEER

Old February 25th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Ace

Default THE DESTRUCTIVE CERTAINTY OF THE UGLY ENGINEER

On Feb 23, 2:48*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

There's nothing any engineer knows that a reasonably intelligent
person with an understanding of the Dewey Decimal System (or a
librarian among his women) can't discover, assimilate, integrate and
apply in practice, and at that in short order. See for instance Jute:
Designing and Constructing Special Cars, London and Boston, for doing
stress calculations by analogy without ever opening Timoshenko.

Do you have an ISBN for this book?

Tom Ace

Old February 25th 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 25, 5:14*am, Tom Ace wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:48*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

There's nothing any engineer knows that a reasonably intelligent
person with an understanding of the Dewey Decimal System (or a
librarian among his women) can't discover, assimilate, integrate and
apply in practice, and at that in short order. See for instance Jute:
Designing and Constructing Special Cars, London and Boston, for doing
stress calculations by analogy without ever opening Timoshenko.

Do you have an ISBN for this book?

Not for the American edition named above; someone has walked off with
my last copy. But here we go for the British edition, which had a
slightly different name:

ISBN 0 7134 0778 6
Designing and Building Special Cars by Andre Jute
B T Batsford, London, 1985

The section you want is "A Minimum Megalomaniac Motor", p123 through
to above "Equal Load Paths" on p128.

Er, is it rude to ask why you care about such low-level (or in modern,
computer code-influenced vernacular, high level as in "nearer English
than math") stuff as engineering by analogy?

A more mathematical approach starts on p105.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

Old February 25th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Ace

On Feb 24, 9:43*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Er, is it rude to ask why you care about such low-level (or in modern,
computer code-influenced vernacular, high level as in "nearer English
than math") stuff as engineering by analogy?

It's not rude to ask.

I wrote CAD software (electronic design, not
mechanical) for a living for 22 years and do
woodworking as a hobby. So I am interested
in designing and building things in general.

I don't know whether your book would be applicable
to any of the work that I do, but I read all kinds of
things for the fun of it. I admit to being idiosyncratic
and at times even somewhat arbitrary about what I
have an interest in; personal taste is like that.

Tom Ace

Old February 25th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The ideal reader

On Feb 25, 5:17*pm, Tom Ace wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:43*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Er, is it rude to ask why you care about such low-level (or in modern,
computer code-influenced vernacular, high level as in "nearer English
than math") stuff as engineering by analogy?

It's not rude to ask.

I wrote CAD software (electronic design, not
mechanical) for a living for 22 years and do
woodworking as a hobby. *So I am interested
in designing and building things in general.

I don't know whether your book would be applicable
to any of the work that I do, but I read all kinds of
things for the fun of it. *I admit to being idiosyncratic
and at times even somewhat arbitrary about what I
have an interest in; personal taste is like that.

Tom Ace

Some of my books are written exactly for energetically curious people
like you, Tom. This particular book we're discussing was written for
intelligent hotrodders and racers. You'll be lucky to find a clean
copy, because it is out of print and has become a sort of bible to the
ultralight fraternity. There's even a section on building automobile
chassis out of wood...

I too like woodwork, which I taught myself out of books, though I'm
not all that good.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Thisthatandtheother
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20ARISING.html

Old February 25th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nick L Plate

On 25 Feb, 22:54, Andre Jute wrote:
On Feb 25, 5:17*pm, Tom Ace wrote:

[...]

If that's the book where the spruce chassis timbers are creosoted with
a cobbled pressure vessel, my library did have the book five years
ago, but the council need more waste paper to improve re-cycling
rates. Theyv'e "improved" the libraries and yet I find 90% of the
books that I return for, have dissappeared. Some may be archived, but
I have not been permited to access to the relevant index. The index
available for the public is a fifth of what it was previously.
Despite the laws on access to public documents, government has
developed an awful lot of memory holes.

TJ
Old February 25th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 25, 5:17*pm, Tom Ace wrote:

[...]

If you got that right, it isn't me. If you misremembered advice to
steam wood in a pipe with water in it over an open fire prior to
bending it, yeah, that sounds like my book.

my library did have the book five years
ago, but the council need more waste paper to improve re-cycling
rates. *Theyv'e "improved" the libraries and yet I find 90% of the
books that I return for, have dissappeared. *Some may be archived, but
I have not been permited to access to the relevant index. *The index
available for the public is a fifth of what it was previously.
Despite the laws on access to public documents, government has
developed an awful lot of memory holes.

This is a horror story. They won't let you see the index? I'd take
that up with the authorities.

Andre Jute
I love librarians, especially the ones who do my research for me

Old February 26th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nick L Plate

On Feb 25, 5:17*pm, Tom Ace wrote:

[...]

They claim ignorance. There is the patent collection which they
cannot destroy, but evidence of its existence is dissapearing. As far
as the missing technical reference books and their index location,
I'll have to do a face to face with the chief. Any of the regular
librarians claim it's all on the computer, which it aint. There are
two ,which have located books I only suspected they had, by reference
to an unknown(to me ) index. They wouldn't say where index or book was
kept. I think the 'improvements' have finished in the main centrral
library, maybe access will be a liittle easier.

It's not necessary to steam wood, just turn it over a fire until it
steams, it is only the heat which softens the lignin the cells then
slide past each other till it is below about 80 degC The steam chest
is just convenient to spread the heat evenly. I'll check it out if
they have the book. I have an intrest in all manner of transport,
engine efficiency and racing.
Old February 27th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jym Dyer wrote:
=x= What does self-promotion about a racecar book have to do
with bicycles.tech, bicycles.soc, or even rendundantly .misc?
_Jym_

The ego of The André Jute knows no bounds.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll