'nuther newbie

Old April 15th 04, 07:09 PM
underdog

Default 'nuther newbie

I'm just another newbie saying hi ! Been 'trying' to learn how to ride
a uni for about a month now. Coming along slowy but surely. I figure
I'm up to about a level 0.5 now with some rides in the 30 meter range.
Took a BAD header yesterday though and my shoulder's *#$!ed up. I'll
probably be OK in a couple of days and back at it. It sure is lots of
fun in general. I'm learning to ride for two reasons.

1. to add something new to my fitness regimen (I ride road bikes, a lot)
and
2. to prove that an old dog can learn new tricks (49 y.o.)

Been enjoying reading this forum for the past coupla weeks. And look
forward to participating in some discussions.

--
underdog

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old April 15th 04, 07:41 PM
onefiftyfour

i guess i'll be the first to welcome you.

welcome.

i imagine there are lots of us here who are converted biking enthusists
- mountain or road. i was. emphasis on the word 'was' . now all my
old mountainbike buddies are now just acquaintances. i now have muni
and coker buddies only. it's amazing how fast unicycling can take over
your life.

-eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old April 15th 04, 09:54 PM
daino149

Welcome to our world.
I used to road bike a lot. Now I'm into road uni. It's a lot more
excercise for the same distance. I just did 21.6 miles yesterday
WOOT!

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old April 15th 04, 10:06 PM
underdog

Thanks for the welcomes! Over 20 miles. Very cool. Something to aspire
to.

Old April 15th 04, 11:39 PM
tennisgh22

welcome dude, you'll find tons of info about learning to uni if you
search for it. glad to have u part of the forum

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Learning to muni

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old April 16th 04, 02:38 AM
RangerForrest

and a hearty welcome from me too.

I too was raised a road biker. Ever since I was in elementary school I
have been riding century rides and beyond for speed.

You may think it is sad but I have only ridden my bike three times since
I first got my uni in December. I don't miss it.
The uni will open up new worlds. With the bike you can get bored with
the same old routine all the time. With the Uni there are always new
skills to learn. Progress seems slow at first but then takes off. I've
been at it less than 4 months and I'm already working on wheel walking
and mastering one foot riding. Forward, backwards, idle, basic hopping,
one foot idle, and one foot idle foot out are all things of the past.

Always something new and exciting.

Welcome

--
RangerForrest - Isolated Unicyclist
RangerForrest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5539

Old April 16th 04, 06:58 AM
Klaas Bil

Yeah welcome 'underdog'. We're in the same age bracket - or maybe not,
I'm 50. Learned at 47.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

Old April 17th 04, 12:16 PM
mucRider

Hang in there. It gets much easier after a few weeks. I started one year
ago, after I turned 50.

I can't help but think that the bicyclists who take up uni are in much
better physical shape when they start with uni. My first couple of weeks
was mostly muscle conditioning because of the strain on my legs. I was
not a bicyclist. As you get more comfortable with the balancing, you
learn to relax and it literally becomes just a matter of sitting on the
seat and turning the wheel.

After one year, I am not breaking any records when it comes to riding. I
can ride backwards and I am learning to idle. My longest distance so
far is 4 miles. I am also up to 4 unicycles.

Make sure you have a comfortable seat. That seems especially important
for someone our age. G

Have fun.

--
mucRider

Anything with more than one wheel is too complicated!
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

Old April 18th 04, 06:17 PM
underdog

Thanks for all the 'welcomes.' I look forward to being part of the uni
community. I especially appreciate the replies from the couple of you
close to my age. It gives me encouragement knowing that it's very
possible to learn to ride at my age. See you all on some other
threads.

--
underdog - level 0.5 rider

Old April 19th 04, 07:21 AM
Klaas Bil

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:17:12 -0500, "underdog" wrote:

I look forward to being part of the uni
community.

You are already!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

major newbie lil_ivy General 10 March 10th 04 03:21 PM
Recumbent trike advice for newbie kak61 Recumbent Biking 9 December 13th 03 04:06 PM
Stupid newbie question about lightening bike *John* Mountain Biking 14 September 19th 03 03:39 PM
Newbie fork questions cyclist101 Techniques 4 July 22nd 03 01:41 AM