strange noise

Old November 28th 04, 04:29 PM
davek

Default strange noise

My new-ish (less than four months old) commuter bike has developed a
squeak and I'm slightly perplexed.

I thought it might just be because it was overdue a clean, but last
weekend I gave chain, front and rear mechs a thorough clean and relube,
and the squeak is still present.

It's not there all the time, and mostly seems to appear when I am
spinning at fairly high cadence (which means somewhere in the range
100-120). I'm therefore a bit concerned that it's coming from the bottom
bracket. But it's a sealed cartridge type BB, and like I said, the bike
has had less than four months use - for less than 50 miles a week.

The other possibility that crossed my mind is that it's coming from one
or both wheel hubs, or perhaps from the freewheel (it's a screw-on
rather than a cassette).

But since the squeak only appears when I'm riding at a fair lick, it's
hard to actually locate it precisely.

Any other thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'm loath to take my hubs apart
unless I really have to.

cheers,

d.
Old November 28th 04, 04:37 PM
Simonb

davek wrote:
My new-ish (less than four months old) commuter bike has developed a
squeak and I'm slightly perplexed.

Saddle rails?

Old November 28th 04, 04:55 PM
davek

Simonb wrote:
Saddle rails?

Hmmm, there's an interesting thought. Nice one, thanks.

d.
Old November 28th 04, 04:56 PM
Al C-F

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:29:06 +0000, davek
wrote:

But since the squeak only appears when I'm riding at a fair lick, it's
hard to actually locate it precisely.

Any other thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'm loath to take my hubs apart
unless I really have to.

Side of your shoes against the crank?
Old November 28th 04, 05:03 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message :

My new-ish (less than four months old) commuter bike has developed a
squeak and I'm slightly perplexed.

Mouse in the saddlebag?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 28th 04, 05:24 PM
MSeries

davek wrote:

Any other thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'm loath to take my hubs apart
unless I really have to.

Perhaps its your shoe. Seriously one of my shoes on my second oldest
pair squeeks sometimes. I am not sure if its becuase the cleat is moving
in relation to the pedal (I have fitted new cleats but some of my pedals
are well worn) or the leather itself, I suspect the latter as when I
massag the leather in my hand it squeeks.
Old November 28th 04, 05:40 PM
Danny Colyer

MSeries suggested:
Perhaps its your shoe. Seriously one of my shoes on my second oldest
pair squeeks sometimes. I am not sure if its becuase the cleat is moving
in relation to the pedal ...

I was about to suggest squeaking at the cleat/pedal interface. I often
get squeaks when riding hard, and so far they've always been fixed by
lubricating the surfaces where the cleats and pedals meet.

... (I have fitted new cleats but some of my pedals
are well worn) or the leather itself, I suspect the latter as when I
massag the leather in my hand it squeeks.

That sounds like a distinct possibility too, if Dave is wearing leather
shoes.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old November 28th 04, 06:04 PM
Mark Thompson

My new-ish (less than four months old) commuter bike has developed a
squeak and I'm slightly perplexed.

Mouse in the saddlebag?

Not as facetious as you think:

URL:http://public.fotki.com/10041990/cyclingrat/cycling_rat.html
Old November 28th 04, 07:04 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

But since the squeak only appears when I'm riding at a fair lick, it's
hard to actually locate it precisely.

Any other thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'm loath to take my hubs apart
unless I really have to.

Mice?

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $

Old November 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , davek
') wrote:

Simonb wrote:
Saddle rails?

Hmmm, there's an interesting thought. Nice one, thanks.

Or seatpost, or stem/steerer, or stem/bars (although that's not likely
to be in rhythm with pedalling). Any aluminium-to-aluminium joint is,
in my experience, prone to squeak unless greased.

' ' ------- this blank intentionally spaced left

A quite strange clicking noise.. lleberg Unicycling 9 November 23rd 04 06:12 AM
RR: Great Day Strange Leg. Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 8 September 21st 04 09:21 AM
strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM