what the hell are these euros doing NOW???

Old November 28th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default what the hell are these euros doing NOW???

Someone PLEASE give me some scenario where this is not just _wrong_ on
so many levels.

http://www.harfoto.nl/Adobe%20Sinter...s/DSC_0232.jpg

what the hell are these euros doing?

And check out the carnarge at the weekly vossenjacht!

http://www.harfoto.nl/Adobe%2005-06%...s/DSC_0060.jpg

We have freds going down all over the place. Its a freakin' yardsale.
What the heck is a vossenjacht? it looks like the drunken ride back to
the hotel after cross nats every year.

They seem to collect tickets. Is it like a cycling euro fred version
of a poker run? Whatever it is, I gotta get me some a dat! Looks like
good times.

Confused

Old November 28th 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Someone PLEASE give me some scenario where this is not just _wrong_ on
so many levels.

http://www.harfoto.nl/Adobe%20Sinter...s/DSC_0232.jpg

what the hell are these euros doing?

That's Sinterklaas, a nice guy who comes to the Netherlans from Spain and gives
good kids presents and takes the bad ones home to Spain in a bag (not clear what
happens to them there). In this case it's the funny version at my cycling club. This guy
has played Sinterklaas for the last years, every years he swears it will be the last time
but when it comes to december...last year he arrived in an ambulance because of all
the guys who were in hospital during the time due to accidents during the 'vossenjacht'.

And check out the carnarge at the weekly vossenjacht!

http://www.harfoto.nl/Adobe%2005-06%...s/DSC_0060.jpg

We have freds going down all over the place. Its a freakin' yardsale.
What the heck is a vossenjacht? it looks like the drunken ride back to
the hotel after cross nats every year.

They seem to collect tickets. Is it like a cycling euro fred version
of a poker run? Whatever it is, I gotta get me some a dat! Looks like
good times.

Confused

Vossenjacht is a competion during winter, the tradition started long ago to motivate
eachother to keep moving during winter. It translates to foxhunt. Early in the morning
the fox (at this club it's usually Carel Hamelink who does it for over 40 years!) starts
from the club and sets out a route by chalking arrows on the road. Usually only at
corners etc.

http://home.versatel.nl/thelolo/wiel...ges/Karel2.jpg

A few hours later the hunt starts. Everybody gets six peaces of wood with their
startnumber on it. These have to be put in the buckets at the check points en route.

http://home.versatel.nl/thelolo/wiel.../Hoornbrug.jpg

There are several categories for competition cyclists, atb's, touring, and junior/senior.
At the end waits the fox who gives out numbers representing the finish order.
It's allowed to take a short cut but you have to get all check points and of course the
fox at the end. Points are given and at the end of the foxhunt season (end february)
the first three in every category get a price. It's hard to explain i can imagine it looks
daft but it's real good fun. It's a mix of a crit / club ride / cyclo cross. A fox tries to get
rid of it's hunters so the route often goes through fields, woods, rail road stations etc.
It's often wet and slippery so sadly accidents do happen, that's what's happening in
the pics. It's a half frozen wet wooden bridge, sometimes it's hard to keep upright
on these when walking. During a foxhunt i often get more exhausted than in a race.
You really get in a hunting mode. I awoke in an ambulance myself one time during
a foxhunt a few years ago....my first thought was "**** no points!!".

It's fun to see people do stupid things to get some points. Sometimes you arrive at
the fox and he's opposite a stream. The route to the fox is over a bridge some 100
meters further but when you swim accross you might get more points or when the
first rider selects the bridge you can beat him by swimming across. So this usually
happens once every year. Also people try to cheat, you can see all the attempts in
the rules:

It's not allowed:
-to start before the start time
-to drive throught rail road crossings when the lights flash
-to contact other riders by phone during the hunt
-to exchange finish order cards with other riders
-to drive by missed check points after finishing
-to search for arrows before the start of the hunt

Some guys are known for arrow searching, i heard of one guy positioning his son en
route with a moped for drafting. Last week two guys at another club were caught for
exchanging finish cards, money even changed hands. First time i ever heard of money
being paid though, i'm sure exchanging cards and all other rules above are broken
a lot, but that seems part of the fun. So when you want to have some fun during winter
try to organize a foxhunt, the routes are usually 40-50km.

Old November 28th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ronald wrote:

Some guys are known for arrow searching, i heard of one guy positioning his son en
route with a moped for drafting. Last week two guys at another club were caught for
exchanging finish cards, money even changed hands. First time i ever heard of money
being paid though, i'm sure exchanging cards and all other rules above are broken
a lot, but that seems part of the fun. So when you want to have some fun during winter
try to organize a foxhunt, the routes are usually 40-50km.

Some people think doping can be stopped.

Old November 28th 05, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ronald wrote:

... It's hard to explain i can imagine it looks
daft but it's real good fun. It's a mix of a crit / club ride / cyclo cross. A fox tries to get
rid of it's hunters so the route often goes through fields, woods, rail road stations etc.
It's often wet and slippery so sadly accidents do happen, that's what's happening in
the pics. It's a half frozen wet wooden bridge, sometimes it's hard to keep upright
on these when walking. During a foxhunt i often get more exhausted than in a race.
You really get in a hunting mode. I awoke in an ambulance myself one time during
a foxhunt a few years ago....my first thought was "**** no points!!".

I imagine it's so much fun for the same reasons that it looks daft.
It sounds like hashing in cross-country running. Thanks for the
explanation!

Old November 29th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ronald wrote:

[...]

Dude that sounds awesome. Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like
another cool euro winter tradition that we can steal and add alcohol
to. That would pretty much perfect it. Oh, and maybe run it at night
with lights.

Most excellent

J the Vossenjachter

Old November 29th 05, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

jerry in vermont wrote:

Dude that sounds awesome. Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like
another cool euro winter tradition that we can steal and add alcohol
to. That would pretty much perfect it. Oh, and maybe run it at night
with lights.

Somehow I have the feeling the those gekke Nederlanders just _might_
have stumbled upon staving off the wet chill with some, ahem, Dutch
courage.

Old November 29th 05, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

We've got something like that in Florida -- the bike hash. See
www.bikehash.com. The hare starts off with a bag of flour or a roll of
toilet paper. He gets 10 or 15 minutes for a head start. Then the
pack chases after him. The hare leaves marks to follow. After about
ten miles there's a beer stop, and then another ten miles to the end,
where there's more beer. Ideally it's all off-road, although pavement
is acceptable.

It's a cooperative event rather than a competition. The pack works
together like a pack of dogs to catch the hare. Cheating,
short-cutting, etc, are all encouraged. There's bike hashes in other
places as well, and of course the onmipresent running hash.

Dave
www.davewilson.cc

Old November 30th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:07:41 +0100, "Ronald" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like great fun. THanks for taking the time to explain.

Of course you understand it still looks silly, but then so do I on a cross
course.

Ron

Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour) Jay Woo Australia 49 April 2nd 05 07:12 AM
OT- but very funny Sniper8052 UK 24 November 19th 04 08:39 PM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back) Hitchy Australia 109 March 30th 04 03:27 AM
New Hell On Wheel Video muniracer Unicycling 17 February 10th 04 02:38 AM