"fixed" freewheel, variable gear?

Old November 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
Byron Sheppard

Default "fixed" freewheel, variable gear?

But while thinking about it during a ride one day, I got to wondering if
anyone has tried fixing the freewheel (or freehub) but still having a
cassette and multiple gears?

So why is this a silly idea? Has anyone tried it? Suggestions for how to fix
the hub?

thanks,
byron

Apart from snapping off the derailleur, simply locking down the
freewheel doesn't get over the problem of reverse chain tension
unscrewing the freewheel from the hub. If you want a fixed wheel
without a new wheel, there's an expensive converter which puts fixed
cog and lockring threads on a shimano or compatible freehub, and a
similar product is also available for threaded freewheel hubs. If you
really want a multispeed fixed, you need to invest in some rare and
very expensive retro parts from Campag or Sturmey-Archer.

But why make life complex? Just rebuild your back wheel around a track
hub and learn to pedal fast!

Good and appreciated advice from everyone; thanks. I'll just build a single
fixie and fly.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:15 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Captain Dondo wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

As noted, if there's no freewheel, within a few minutes there will be
no rear derailleur either. I suppose that someone with the requisite
machine tools and skills could create the world's most nukeproof rear
der to solve this particular problem, but I'm not sure I want to think
about the cost and/or weight.

Didn't one of the earliest shifting systems involve reaching back and
opening the QR, then using a fork sort of thing to push the chain on to
the next cog?

Yes.

Wouldn't this work on a fixie? (My interest is purely theoretical, I
have no desire to actually try this, mind you.

Probably, but it would be diabolical. The reason you opened the QR was
to let the wheel slide forward and back to take up the chain slack. So
you're suggesting releasing the QR, tapping the lever to shift the
chain, then re-engaging the QR, but oh yeah, since it's a fixie, you
can't stop pedalling.

You know, there's a reason the derailleur was invented,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old November 3rd 03, 03:39 AM
B.C. Cletta

Captain Dondo wrote in message ...
Werehatrack wrote:

As noted, if there's no freewheel, within a few minutes there will be
no rear derailleur either. I suppose that someone with the requisite
machine tools and skills could create the world's most nukeproof rear
der to solve this particular problem, but I'm not sure I want to think
about the cost and/or weight.

Didn't one of the earliest shifting systems involve reaching back and
opening the QR, then using a fork sort of thing to push the chain on to
the next cog?

Wouldn't this work on a fixie? (My interest is purely theoretical, I
have no desire to actually try this, mind you.

-Dondo

(realizing that i've never rode one) i think that you got to coast
briefly during an upshift to allow the cogset & wheel to move backward
to suck up the chain slack.

....and at the prices the Cambio Corsa command, probable never will.
Old November 3rd 03, 06:03 AM
A Muzi

Byron Sheppard wrote:

I've been reading all the threads about fixed gear and am sold on the
benefits. Can't wait to try one.

But while thinking about it during a ride one day, I got to wondering if
anyone has tried fixing the freewheel (or freehub) but still having a
cassette and multiple gears? This would seem to provide many of the benefits
of a fixed gear while still offering the flexibility to maintain cadence
through gear changes. It also means that it might be possible to convert a
bike to "fixedwheel" or "fixedhub" with no other drivetrain changes.

So why is this a silly idea? Has anyone tried it? Suggestions for how to fix
the hub?

See the earlier post about a binding freehub body. The
chain bunches up when you try to coast. Some riders who
ditz around with tensioners, a fixed hub and vertical frame
ends find this as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 3rd 03, 07:01 AM
ant

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message
[regarding multi speed fixed gears]

another option would be the Schlumpf
two-speed "mountain drive" BB, which might work with a fixed gear:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html

wow. what an idea. ive heard that there are still multi speed bottom
bracket setups on the market. up to five speeds, did i hear? would
these work for fixed gear? are they made for standard bb shells?

very curious,
anthony
Old November 3rd 03, 02:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

yan- Didn't one of the earliest shifting systems involve reaching back and
opening the QR, then using a fork sort of thing to push the chain on to
the next cog?

Wouldn't this work on a fixie? BRBR

Yep, Earliest Campagnolo 'shifting' system, bring yer checkbook if ya find one
and learn to play the piano-

Why not just weld a freewheel together, add as many cogs as you wish and then
stop to change the gearing, must have LONG dropouts for chain tension tho-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 3rd 03, 09:04 PM
B.C. Cletta

(ant) wrote in message . com...
Ryan Cousineau wrote in message
[regarding multi speed fixed gears]

another option would be the Schlumpf
two-speed "mountain drive" BB, which might work with a fixed gear:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html

wow. what an idea. ive heard that there are still multi speed bottom
bracket setups on the market. up to five speeds, did i hear? would
these work for fixed gear? are they made for standard bb shells?

buried somewhere on the w-pg in the fine print it tells you it's
not rated of FG used.
Old November 3rd 03, 09:57 PM
B.C. Cletta

(ant) wrote in message . com...
Ryan Cousineau wrote in message
[regarding multi speed fixed gears]

another option would be the Schlumpf
two-speed "mountain drive" BB, which might work with a fixed gear:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html

wow. what an idea. ive heard that there are still multi speed bottom
bracket setups on the market. up to five speeds, did i hear? would
these work for fixed gear? are they made for standard bb shells?

very curious,
anthony

see No 9:
http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm