A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Recumbent Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for insight on a low racer

Old April 24th 15, 12:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for insight on a low racer

I have an Infinity recumbent I bought back in the late 80's. Love it. I've been looking to buy a low race recumbent. Performer X low-s, M5 CrMo or Optima Baron. Would like some insight info. Any info. & comment would be great.
Ads
Old July 16th 15, 06:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The best way go get a good lowracer is to go to a recumbent race and buy the fastest one. At one race I seen a lowracer that only weighed sixteen pounds because I weighed it with my bathroom scale. The best lowracer in my opinion is the Coslinger II because it is low and is supposed to have front suspension. Anything that Sean Costin has raced is worth looking at. Front suspension is necessary on any bicycle for stability at high speeds. A lowracer can only become a stable streamliner with leading link front suspension.I prefer to ride lowracers that are low enough for me to place both palms down on the ground at a stop. The Performer lowracer that I currently ride to work is not low enough to get palms down for landing gear. However,its higher seat height has less pedal strike than the lowracers I have built. If I wreck a Performer lowracer it will not take me six months to build a new one or cost more than $6K like some expensive lowracers. The monoblade fork on an M5 that a friend of mine has is not quite strong enough for a daily driver.Nobody makes the kind of lowracer I would like to ride because I prefer to lay almost completely flat or in the open position. Recumbent races are the best place to test ride different lowracers.
Old April 11th 16, 05:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:34:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The best way go get a good lowracer is to go to a recumbent race and buy the fastest one. At one race I seen a lowracer that only weighed sixteen pounds because I weighed it with my bathroom scale. The best lowracer in my opinion is the Coslinger II because it is low and is supposed to have front suspension. Anything that Sean Costin has raced is worth looking at. Front suspension is necessary on any bicycle for stability at high speeds. A lowracer can only become a stable streamliner with leading link front suspension.I prefer to ride lowracers that are low enough for me to place both palms down on the ground at a stop. The Performer lowracer that I currently ride to work is not low enough to get palms down for landing gear. However,its higher seat height has less pedal strike than the lowracers I have built. If I wreck a Performer lowracer it will not take me six months to build a new one or cost more than $6K like some expensive lowracers. The monoblade fork on an M5 that a friend of mine has is not quite strong enough for a daily driver.Nobody makes the kind of lowracer I would like to ride because I prefer to lay almost completely flat or in the open position. Recumbent races are the best place to test ride different lowracers.

Since you people appear to have some hard knowledge of low racers can you inform me a bit on this subject: A friend of mine who was a pretty fast guy on an upright bought a low racer. He tells me that he has no trouble riding at 40 mph on flat ground with these things. Does that seem likely to you two?
Old July 10th 16, 06:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 9:28:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:34:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Since you people appear to have some hard knowledge of low racers can you inform me a bit on this subject: A friend of mine who was a pretty fast guy on an upright bought a low racer. He tells me that he has no trouble riding at 40 mph on flat ground with these things. Does that seem likely to you two?

The last time I raced my unfaired lowracer the faster guys were going 34 mph on the straightaways at PIR. My streamliner will do 50 mph with little effort(125 watts) I do not have to work hard to go 27 mph with my unfaired lowracer which weighs almost 30 pounds. I have seen a 15.5 pound recumbent which I weighed on my scale. It is no suprise to me if some strong rider can go 40 mph with the right lowracer. You probably will not find such a lowracer made in thew USA. The Dutch lowracer builders make the fastest machines. Hans Wessels told me; " If you want to go fast, you have to ride a lowracer."