ARBR has gone downhill

Old December 18th 03, 08:49 PM
dogboy

Default Racing ( ARBR has gone downhill)

I think your right about increased popularity. I'm not so sure about
your timeline though. I used to say the same thing 10 years ago and
Steve Delaire has been waiting for 25 years for streamers to catch on!
Yes they are expensive to build now, but as more folks get involved,
cost effective ideas and manufacturing are a possibility. Development
goes hand in hand with interest and commercial viability.
Here's a couple of links to pics of the Coyote. The current body
style is geared more towards racing, but I ride it on the street as is
with no problem.
Riding the Coyote is one of the most fun things I have ever done!

http://rotatorrecumbent.com/coyote.html (old pic)
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...tsthursday.htm

There are 2 pics on the BM page,one of me working on the bike and the
other coming into the catch area unassisted. Clicking on the later
reveals the whole picture with Al and another guy in the catch area.

P.S. Thanks Warren for your cutout toy Barracuda. I put it together
and hung it on a stick out in front of my windshield. Now I can get in
shape by chasing you all the way to Battle Mt. next year!
Old December 19th 03, 08:45 AM

dogboy wrote:

: Here's a couple of links to pics of the Coyote. The current body
: style is geared more towards racing, but I ride it on the street as is
: with no problem.
: Riding the Coyote is one of the most fun things I have ever done!

: http://rotatorrecumbent.com/coyote.html (old pic)
: http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...tsthursday.htm

How expensive is the Coyote? Did they sell many yet?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Old December 19th 03, 02:05 PM
Kurt Fischer

dogboy wrote:

http://rotatorrecumbent.com/coyote.html (old pic)
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...tsthursday.htm

Thanks for the pictures. It's a very cool looking bike. And the weight
seems incredibly low for a streamliner. 44 pounds, that's the weight of
several full suspended SWB's without any fairing.

Here are some pictures of German two-wheeled streamliners:

Aiolos: http://www.eolo.de/

Magic Scooter: http://www.magic-scooter.de/index2.htm

Bumble Bike: http://members.aol.com/hirnihq/bumble.htm

Pics of one of the first fairing for SWB's ever made in Germany:
http://galileo.oche.de/~luftschwimme...g/pa194780.jpg
http://galileo.oche.de/~luftschwimme...g/pa194779.jpg

Picture of Christian Ascheberg's ZOX FWD low racer with fairing made by
Eggert Bülk, on which he participated in PBP '03:
http://www.herden.net/hpv/paderborn2003/seite-0012.htm
http://www.herden.net/hpv/paderborn2003/seite-0019.htm

Regards,
Kurt

Old December 21st 03, 12:29 AM
dogboy

Thanks for the links! They're bookmarked. Some nice bikes.
I want to ride on that Velodrome track in the pictures!!! It looks
like wood and those banked turns are out of this world! Reminds me of
the now defunct Dominguez Hills track.
Streamers seem to be more abundant in Europe. I would love to go race
there but travel and shipping costs would be too high for me.
As for the weight of the Coyote, we used a design that eliminates the
need for a full frame inside the fairing. There is no metal connecting
the wheels. The lower shell of the body is strong enough to support
the rider. This portion of the shell is only 3.5 ft in length while
the rest of the bike shell is only 2 layers of carbon and kevlar. Alot
of the bikes out at Battle Mt. are being built this way. There is a
very small, front wheel drive, sub frame of Ti that carries the
steering and gearing which plugs into that lower shell. I also sit on
2 airbags ($1.00 inflatable beach balls with very little air in them)
that I put inside a mesh cover I sewed together. One ball supports my
back while the other supports my butt. I don't experience any pressure
points while I ride cuz my weight is very evenly distributed.
All in all, this bike desigh has worked very well for me and I
continue looking for ways to improve it. The fact that it doesn't
weigh as much as people think really comes into play on the hills. I
can't count how many times I've had people tell me "I didn't think
"that thing" could climb", but they all know what "that thing" can do
on the downhills and the flats! On century rides you should hear them
talking at the rests stops. "Did you see that thing go? I wonder if
there is a motor in there?" I always answer them "Yes there is, a hi
mileage fifty year old tired out old broken down one,... me!"