Pannier Sizes

Old June 17th 04, 01:41 PM
Randall Flagg

Default Pannier Sizes

Hi,

I'm looking at doing some touring in September, either the Celtic Trail +
detours or some towpath / follow my nose type touring in France (if my
Lonely Planet guide ever turns up from Amazon.).

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
2 weeks +

Many thanks in advance....

Old June 17th 04, 01:49 PM
Arthur Clune

Randall Flagg wrote:

: I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
: a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
: today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
: to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
: than to load up on the front as well.

Why? You'll get much better handling with smaller rear ones and some small front
ones than with a pair of huge rear ones.

: Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
: 2 weeks +

I assume you're not camping? If you're B&B'ing/hostelling I'd have thought two
standard size rear panniers would hold plenty enough. If they don't, take less.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old June 17th 04, 01:57 PM
Peter Clinch

Randall Flagg wrote:

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

That's easy to say, but if you actually /try/ a heavy bike with 100% of
the load on the back and another with the same load split about 60/40
front rear you might change your mind!
The last but one copy of Cycle had an article by Chris Juden about

If you're taking the sort of loads where 60 litre loads are envisaged
for the panniers then I'd strongly suggest looking at splitting the
weight fore and aft.

The only panniers I've seen larger than 60l are special ones for
recumbent bikes, where you don't have to worry about heel clearance.
Rear panniers for Serious Touring tend to be 40 - 50 a pair, 60 is quite
unusually large. In bigger sizes, make sure you have heel clearance.

Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
2 weeks +

Ortlieb, Carradice, Altura, Karrimor, VauDe are all excellent.
Waterproof can be a Cunning Plan.

Don't forget you can add bar bags to even up the weight distribution a
bit. Or if you want a really good size load get a BOB Yak single wheel
trailer.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 17th 04, 02:02 PM
James Annan

Randall Flagg wrote:

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

We use Jannd mountain expedition panniers, which I think claim 110
litres for a pair (that's with the top fully extended, which we don't
usually need).

That's for camping tours on a tandem with no front panniers, though.

James

Old June 17th 04, 02:05 PM
Mark Tranchant

Randall Flagg wrote:

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

http://tranchant.plus.com/cycling/france-1996/ft1-2

My bike is the one on the right. The lowrider front panniers were
essential as we were camping and had quite a lot to carry. The loaded
front made the otherwise twitchy Peugeot much more relaxing to ride.
You'll see I even had tri-bars fitted, which were a pleasure to settle
down onto once my hands and arms got a bit tired.

Once we arrived and I removed the fronts, the unfamiliar twitchiness
nearly had me off the bike!

Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
2 weeks +

Camping, or not? Whichever, pack as light as you can. Don't take stuff
all the way around your tour and not use it at all.

As far as recommendations go, I've been using a single largish (45l?)
rear Karrimor Kalahari (I think) for commuting for several years now.
Very tough with an excellent quick-release.

--
Mark.
Old June 17th 04, 02:19 PM
JohnB

Randall Flagg wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at doing some touring in September, either the Celtic Trail +
detours or some towpath / follow my nose type touring in France (if my
Lonely Planet guide ever turns up from Amazon.).

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

If you *do* have to carry so much then a front set will improve bike
handling no end. But I'd seriously give some more thought to why you
need to carry so much.
There is a rule that the more space you have the more unnecessary stuff
you will carry.

Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
2 weeks +

I use Ortlieb 30L Sport Packer Plus, and that's for camping as well.

John B
Old June 17th 04, 02:21 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Randall Flagg wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at doing some touring in September, either the Celtic Trail +
detours or some towpath / follow my nose type touring in France (if my
Lonely Planet guide ever turns up from Amazon.).

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone give me
a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a 60 litre pair
today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise that there is a limit
to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer just to have rear panniers
than to load up on the front as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for panniers for extended touring? ie.
2 weeks +

Many thanks in advance....

Jobst Brandt does an annual tour of the Alps lasting 20 or more days with
the following kit and using a Carradice Nelson saddlebag. He's not
camping, though.

See http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bik...king_List.html

CLOTHING
Cycling shorts and Jersey (2ea)
Socks (2pr)
Undershorts
Undershirts
Cycling shoes
Sweater
Cold weather gloves
Slacks and shirt
Rain cape or waterproof parka shell (with hood)
Cycling cap with visor (for sunburn protection)
Helmet
Sun glasses

MECHANICAL
Pump
Spare tire and tube
Patch kit
Tire levers
Spokes w. nipples (2 of each length)
Spoke wrench
Freewheel remover for your specific freewheel
Cone wrenches (pair)
T-wrench, L-wrench for derailleurs etc.
Chain tool
Screwdriver (pencil size)
6 inch adjustable wrench
Rear axle (for non cassette hub)

SUNDRIES
Passport (if necessary)
Address book
Money (cash and travelers checks)
ATM (Bancomat) and VISA/MC card(s)
Camera (and accessories)
Film for entire trip
Maps
Tooth brush
Comb
Nail clipper
Pen
Shaver
Pocket Knife
Spoon
Salve, sun lotion, chap stick
Plastic produce bags (4+)
Tape, white adhesive or duct tape
Pocket calculator (for currency computations)
Can opener
Matches (or lighter)

TOOLS required to assemble bike at point of departure
Crank extractor
Crank bolt wrench
Spare crank bolt (in case one breaks on assembly)

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "They never open their mouths without subtracting from
Old June 17th 04, 03:04 PM
mark

"Peter Clinch" wrote ...
Randall Flagg wrote:

[...]

For my 3 weeks in Scotland last month I had Ortlieb Bikepacker Lite panniers
in back, small Vaude Panniers in front. The Vaude panniers were good, but
the Ortlieb were far better. Even with the rain covers that the Vaudes came
with, the Ortliebs kept my gear much drier. The Ortliebs were also much
easier to take off and put back on the bike, which I appreciated more and
more as the tour went on.

Defiitely consider splittling the load front and rear- the improved weight
distribution makes the bike much easier to handle. I had front and rear
panniers, a small seatbag (tools/spare tube) and a handlebar bag, al of
shich helped with organizing my gear as well as with weight distribution.
--
mark

Old June 17th 04, 10:32 PM
Richard Corfield

On 2004-06-17, James Annan wrote:

We use Jannd mountain expedition panniers, which I think claim 110
litres for a pair (that's with the top fully extended, which we don't
usually need).

That's for camping tours on a tandem with no front panniers, though.

We tried camping with the tandem with Halfords old waterproof panniers
on the rear, the tent (an old heavy Vango Force 10) on top of them,
and Carradoce front panniers containing trangia, fuel, maps, waterproofs
for the pilot and similar. We wanted bigger though, but a lot of space
was taken by the old not-very-compact sleeping bags.

With the same older equipment, we found 4 rear panniers, 2 front and
2 bar bags just enough including food for 3 days and clothing for wet
weather. It does pay to go for the lighter weight backpacking equipment,
something we'll be getting hold of as our current equipment wears out.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
Old June 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Randall Flagg
') wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at doing some touring in September, either the Celtic
Trail + detours or some towpath / follow my nose type touring in
France (if my Lonely Planet guide ever turns up from Amazon.).

I'll be taking with me only what will fit on the bike, so can anyone
give me a clue as to the largest pannier size thats available. I saw a
60 litre pair today, but I haven't seen anything larger. I realise
that there is a limit to the size a pannier can be, but I would prefer
just to have rear panniers than to load up on the front as well.

Frankly putting all your gear into rear panniers is going to make your
bike a pig to ride, and a pig to handle when you're off the bike.
Consider a trailer; my advice would be a single wheeler such as a Bob
Yak or a Weber Monoporter. They upset the handling a lot less.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18