Cyclecraft and other animals

Old June 23rd 04, 06:02 PM
Doctor J. Frink

Default Cyclecraft and other animals

Hullo,

Been looking round the bookshops today for Cyclecraft but couldn't find
it. I did find a few other bike books, such as the Haynes bike
maintenance manual and some others by Chris somebody-or-other.

Is Cyclecraft still available in the high street bookshops? Are any of
the other bike books any good for general info/maintenance, over and
above the big C?

Cheers,
Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/
Old June 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Dr Curious

"Doctor J. Frink" wrote in message
Hullo,

Been looking round the bookshops today for Cyclecraft but couldn't find
it. I did find a few other bike books, such as the Haynes bike
maintenance manual and some others by Chris somebody-or-other.

Is Cyclecraft still available in the high street bookshops? Are any of
the other bike books any good for general info/maintenance, over and
above the big C?

£12.99 from Amazon UK

http://tinyurl.com/ys2qu

At a keyboad near you

Curious

Cheers,
Frink

Old June 23rd 04, 06:54 PM
JohnB

"Doctor J. Frink" wrote:

Hullo,

Been looking round the bookshops today for Cyclecraft but couldn't find
it. I did find a few other bike books, such as the Haynes bike
maintenance manual and some others by Chris somebody-or-other.

Is Cyclecraft still available in the high street bookshops? Are any of
the other bike books any good for general info/maintenance, over and
above the big C?

I think you will be *very* lucky to find it in a bookshop on the
off-chance. However you can order it and a new printing came out a
couple of months ago.

Any reasonable bookshop should be able to order it for you or go to the
Stationery Office:
http://www.tso.co.uk/
ISBN 0 11 702051 6

John B
Old June 23rd 04, 07:09 PM
anonymous coward

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:02:53 +0000, Doctor J. Frink wrote:

Hullo,

Been looking round the bookshops today for Cyclecraft but couldn't find
it. I did find a few other bike books, such as the Haynes bike
maintenance manual and some others by Chris somebody-or-other.

Is Cyclecraft still available in the high street bookshops? Are any of
the other bike books any good for general info/maintenance, over and
above the big C?

This is something that has long puzzled me. Every bookshop seems to stock
the books on advanced driving and motorcycling; I have never found
Cyclecraft _anywhere_ except 2nd hand in an Oxfam bookshop.

The same goes for bike shops - none of them seem to sell it - even the
ones that genuinely seem to cater for utility cyclists..?

Ac

Old June 23rd 04, 07:23 PM
JohnB

anonymous coward wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:02:53 +0000, Doctor J. Frink wrote:

Hullo,

Been looking round the bookshops today for Cyclecraft but couldn't find
it.

This is something that has long puzzled me. Every bookshop seems to stock
the books on advanced driving and motorcycling; I have never found
Cyclecraft _anywhere_ except 2nd hand in an Oxfam bookshop.

The same goes for bike shops - none of them seem to sell it - even the
ones that genuinely seem to cater for utility cyclists..?

Same thought came to me yesterday when I went into a bike shop in Romsey
for either a copy of Arrive Alive, the Highway Code for Young Road
Users, or anything else for new riders.
I received a blank stare and it was suggested I try the library.
Thneither did they have the 'adult' version.

The whole country seems to be geared towards the motorist :-((

John B
Old June 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
Tim Woodall

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:09:24 +0100,
anonymous coward wrote:

This is something that has long puzzled me. Every bookshop seems to stock
the books on advanced driving and motorcycling; I have never found
Cyclecraft _anywhere_ except 2nd hand in an Oxfam bookshop.

I got mine from Borders in Watford "off the shelf".

Tim.

and there was light.

Old June 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
Doctor J. Frink

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:18:02 +0100, Dr Curious
wrote:

"Doctor J. Frink" wrote in message
.. .

[Cyclecraft: where is it?]

£12.99 from Amazon UK

http://tinyurl.com/ys2qu

At a keyboad near you

I knew Amazon did it but I like to have a flick through books before
buying them. Looks like that won't be possible (short of hunting it down
in the library) with Cyclecraft. In both WHSmiths and Waterstones the
Transport sections at least had two books on bike maintenance. Not as
many as for motorbikes. Much less than for cars. Less than for trains
even.

Maybe the bicycle is seen as so simple to fix you don't need a manual
(definitely not true with all the fancy stuff they're fitted with these
days).

Frink

Old June 23rd 04, 10:33 PM
Dr Curious

wrote:

"Doctor J. Frink" wrote in message
.. .

[Cyclecraft: where is it?]

£12.99 from Amazon UK

http://tinyurl.com/ys2qu

At a keyboad near you

I knew Amazon did it but I like to have a flick through books before
buying them. Looks like that won't be possible (short of hunting it down
in the library)

Liverpool City Library catalogue

(There are separate frames on the page so a link is pointless )

at a keyboard near you

Franklin, John. - Cyclecraft. - Rev. ed. - London : Stationery
Office, 1997. - 0117020516

Click on a line below to see details of copies at each location.
Location Shelfmark Copies On loan
Central Library 796.6/FRA 1 0

Place reservation References list Title details

Curious

Frink

Old June 23rd 04, 10:43 PM
anonymous coward

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:04:49 +0000, Doctor J. Frink wrote:

Maybe the bicycle is seen as so simple to fix you don't need a manual
(definitely not true with all the fancy stuff they're fitted with these
days).

Cyclecraft is not primarily a manual - though I think it has a short
section on checking brakes etc etc... It's mostly about how to cycle
safely in traffic.

But don't let me put you off - despite having a driving license and
cycle-commuting for several years, I still found lots of useful stuff in
there when I ordered my copy.

AC
Old June 23rd 04, 11:12 PM
Doctor J. Frink

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:33:06 +0100, Dr Curious
wrote:

Liverpool City Library catalogue

Very useful. Unfortunately my email addy etc is misleading as I don't
actually live in Liverpool anymore ;0).

Frink