Airfree Tires: RIPOFF SCAM

Old September 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Sheldon Brown

Werehatrack wrote:

Florida. It figures. (I used to live in Florida. Commercially, much
of it makes Mos Eisley look like the Vatican. Boca Raton, in
particular, is recognized as the spam capitol of the planet. The most
common business model in Florida is "grab the cash and run.")

"Boca Raton" sounds better in Spanish, but I prefer to refer to it by
the English translation: "Rat Mouth, Florida."

Sheldon "Translator" Brown
| When anyone asks me how I can best describe my experience |
| in nearly 40 years at sea, I merely say, "uneventful." |
| Of course, there have been many gales and storms and fog |
| and the like. But in all my experience, I have never been |
| in any accident of any sort worth speaking about. I have |
| never seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea. |
| I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked, nor was I |
| ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster |
| of any sort. --E. J. Smith, Captain, RMS Titanic |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 15th 04, 01:29 AM
Mike Schwab

I bought 4 tires from them and I like them. I ordered a replacement due
to theft on Feb 8, have yet to see anything from them. I do not know
what his problem is. Dispute the credit card charges, you have 60 days
for that. Then order from http://www.nuteck.com . This is the actual
manufacturer in Colorado. I lose a little speed from the solid tires,
but it sure beats having a lot of flats.

tph wrote:

Air Free Tires, Inc. 104 Smith St. New Smyrna, FL. 32168
(386) 478-1861 fax 309 218-2459 Intl. 386 478-1861

This company is a SCAM and a RIPOFF. I was stupid enough to order tires
from them on their website:

1. They charged my credit card the same day I ordered
2. They double billed my card for the same one order
3. They NEVER shipped the merchandise to me

I have called their "customer service" phone number at least 30 times,
and have NEVER spoken to a human being, only an answering machine.
After 30 voicemails and 20 e-mails, I have NO response from them.
The Florida Better Business Bureau has an "unsatisfactory" rating for
them due to failure to respond to complaints.

Next time, I will check with the BBB *before* I throw away my money.

Old September 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:46:17 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

Florida. It figures. (I used to live in Florida. Commercially, much
of it makes Mos Eisley look like the Vatican. Boca Raton, in
particular, is recognized as the spam capitol of the planet. The most
common business model in Florida is "grab the cash and run.")

"Boca Raton" sounds better in Spanish, but I prefer to refer to it by
the English translation: "Rat Mouth, Florida."

Idiomatically, in Spanish, "raton" is "mouse", and rat is "rata",
but...

"Boca Raton" been misrepresented as "rat's mouth" in so many places
for so long that it's like "there's a sucker born every minute"; even
though PT Barnum never said it, the attribution now belongs to him by
popular acclamation...and even though Boca Raton means "mouth mouse"
in a correct Spanish-English translation, in the US it is "rat's
mouth" in the mind of the public.

I've been there. IMNSHO, it has earned the appellation.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 15th 04, 02:48 AM
Bob Parnass

You forgot a hyphen. The URL is http://www.nu-teck.com

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old September 15th 04, 02:57 AM

Mike Schwab writes:

I bought 4 tires from them and I like them. I ordered a replacement
due to theft on Feb 8, have yet to see anything from them. I do not
know what his problem is. Dispute the credit card charges, you have
60 days for that. Then order from http://www.nuteck.com . This is
the actual manufacturer in Colorado. I lose a little speed from the
solid tires, but it sure beats having a lot of flats.

I can't visualize what sort of bicycling you do with solid tires, but
exceeding 15mph while riding over even a 1/2" step in the pavement
will damage rims, there being insufficient compression in a
non-pneumatic tire to absorb such shock. Just the same, there is a
use for these tires but it is not a reasonable solution to flat tires
considering how many thousand miles most riders cover between flats.
I can't imagine riding 1000 miles on "Airfree Tires".

Jobst Brandt

Old September 15th 04, 02:59 AM
Thornhill

Actually, should be www.nu-teck.com
Old September 15th 04, 03:38 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:14:29 -0500, Tom Sherman

I can't visualize what sort of bicycling you do with solid tires, but
exceeding 15mph while riding over even a 1/2" step in the pavement
will damage rims, there being insufficient compression in a
non-pneumatic tire to absorb such shock. Just the same, there is a
use for these tires...

They would be my tires of choice for use on wheelbarrows.

There's a hotdog vendor here in Houston who uses them on his cart.
Oh, and the guy at the lbs said the small ones make a dandy support
ring to help flatten out the spare tire cover on his hatchback. I
suppose that a big one might make a decent protective foot under a
spool table, but I haven't seen one of those in a long time. (As a
table, that is.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 15th 04, 03:49 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Sherman" wrote: They would be my tires of choice for use on
wheelbarrows.
As long as you keep the speed down.