"goofy footed" and octalink

Old September 30th 04, 05:54 PM

On 30 Sep 2004 08:02:36 -0700, (Bruce
Jackson) wrote:

[snip non-zebra details]

The thing I've been pondering lately is zebras. Is the zebra a black
animal with white stripes or a white animal with black stripes? In
a way I don't want to know as I've been using this as a rhetorical
question for when there is no clear answer to a question.

Bruce Jackson

Dear Bruce,

This is not the place to ask questions that you do not want
answered.

[Caution: spoiler ahead, do not scroll down or you'll learn
whether zebras are black with white stripes or white with
black stripes.]
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Okay, you asked for it.

A zebra is a black animal with white stripes.

Occasionally, you get a zebra whose white stripes fail to
form properly and are dashed, white dots and blotches
instead of solid white stripes.

See Stephen Jay Gould's "Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes," the
last paragraph of Chapter 29, "How the Zebra Gets Its
Stripes."

Basset hounds are trickier to explain, being white, black,
and brown, but Gould died before completing his magnum opus
on their coloring.

Carl Fogel
Old October 1st 04, 04:50 AM

Bruce Jackson writes:

The thing I've been pondering lately is zebras. Is the zebra a
black animal with white stripes or a white animal with black
stripes? In a way I don't want to know as I've been using this as a
rhetorical question for when there is no clear answer to a question.

The problem arises from your question. In fact the Zebra is neither,
it is a black and white striped animal whereas the Polar Bear is a
white haired black skinned mammal.

http://www.chaffeezoo.org/animals/zebra.html
http://www.chaffeezoo.org/animals/polarBear.html

I hope that didn't ruin your rhetorical question.

Jobst Brandt

Old October 1st 04, 07:32 AM
Mark Wolfe

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
dabac wrote:

Sheldon Brown Wrote:

I've always started pushing with my left foot. Reason is 'cause I'm
right footed (goes with being right handed)

It's not quite that straight forward, and being right handed is no
guarantee for being right footed. Left-handedness runs at about 10 %
of the population while goofy-footedness is at about 25%.

Where do these stats come from? At least the goofy-footedness part?

I mount from the left side, power out with the left foot after 180 degrees,
but do tricks and bunnyhop with my right foot forward.

I tend to stop/start with the left foot on the ground and putting power
into the chain/right side of the crank. Something in my mind said it's
probably less stress on the crank/bottom bracket that way since I'm not
putting the highest load through the bottom bracket. With how delicate
shimano brifters are (yes I'm still ranting), I don't want anything else
to break. Ultegra BB on the bike. As for bunny hopping I didn't
pay attention, however the pictures I have show my left foot forward, so
I guess that's how I've always done it. http://tinyurl.com/69svz FWIW
the bar is at 23"

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71

Old October 1st 04, 06:47 PM

On 1 Oct 2004 07:46:23 -0700, (Bruce
Jackson) wrote:

wrote in message . ..

Okay, you asked for it.

A zebra is a black animal with white stripes.

Occasionally, you get a zebra whose white stripes fail to
form properly and are dashed, white dots and blotches
instead of solid white stripes.

How do we know that such zebras suffer from white stripes
failing to form vs. black strips that grew together?

Dear Bruce,

The white blotches, dots, and dashes on the oddball zebra
appear to be partially formed white stripes on a black
background. There is no apparent narrowing of the white
stripes consistent with the alternate theory of expanding
black stripes, just the look of dashed white highway
stripes.

So in zebras, white stripes are caused by inhibition of dark
pigment.

The whole essay in "Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes" is worth a
look. (The preceding essay is also about zebras.)

If nothing else, you'll learn that there are three species
whose striping patterns differ according to when the
striping begins during fetal development.

Zebra striping is most notably different on the rump, which
expands markedly during the fifth week of fetal development.

So if the stripes are laid down before this expansion, they
expand into big stripes, but if the striping occurs after
the fetal rump has expanded, they will be narrower and more
numerous.

Gould lacked the courage to speculate about whether female
fetal zebras worry about the stripes making their butts look
big, but I think that we may reasonably infer that this is
one of the causes of the notorious irritability of the
creatures.

Carl Fogel