Strongest SPD Pedals ?

Old March 22nd 05, 07:03 PM
Matt O'Toole

jj wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:07:46 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

One advantage of the 636 design is that you can momentarily unclip
to ride them as if they were platform pedals.

I have no trouble riding a couple of miles on my regular SPDs in
tennis shoes.

The 636 comes in handy for riders who are bouncing around a lot, like
BMX/slalom/downhill racers. In fact I think slalom was the original
intended market.

Matt O.

There's a couple gadgets that snap into SPD pedals allowing you to
pedal in regular tennis shoes.

Here's a plastic one from Nashbar ($5 bucks US):

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...nd=&s ku=2434

Here's a better closeup picture of the above:
http://www.eyebike.com/product/nashb...ptor-p370.html

Winwood makes a similar thing out of metal, but requires you purchase
a set of cleats (not included). They weigh 250gms and are supposedly
a bit difficult to get on and off ($25bucks US):

http://www.winwoodbike.com/pedal.html

Never tried 'em, so ymmv, caveat emptor, yada, yada.

Bike come with these, to make test rides easy. I have some in my toolbox.
They're a real pain to put on and take off.

Matt O.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:05 PM
Matt O'Toole

RonSonic wrote:

One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them, is
these are the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be
using your old ones or buying another pair of cleats.

I much prefer the "no float" cleats. Send your extras to me.

Hey does Shimano still sell the old "pontoons" for making SPDs on a
road shoe walkable?

I don't understand why they don't make SPD shoes walkable to begin with. Wasn't
that the whole point? (OMG, that extra bit of sole material is *so* heavy...)

Matt O.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:06 PM
Matt O'Toole

Mike Latondresse wrote:

I think that both types have float it is just that one is a multi-
release and the other releases like normal road pedals.

You are correct, sir.

Matt O.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:54 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them, is
these are the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be
using your old ones or buying another pair of cleats.

I much prefer the "no float" cleats. Send your extras to me.

Hey does Shimano still sell the old "pontoons" for making SPDs on a
road shoe walkable?

I don't understand why they don't make SPD shoes walkable to begin with.
Wasn't
that the whole point? (OMG, that extra bit of sole material is *so*
heavy...)

Normal SPD shoes are walkable, and Shimano themselves make road-oriented
shoes with walkable soles. Jobst swears by his:

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...DUCT%3C%3Eprd_
id=845524441763206&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2033074&ASSORTMENT%3C%3
East_id=1408474395181202&bmUID=1111548412541

Ahh! It burns!

http://tinyurl.com/5ruds

That's better.

The pontoons were primarily for SPD-R cleats, which I don't think came
as a walkable shoe. Those were designed as competition for the full-road
pedals.

The SPD-R cleats:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1621

Note unusual fore-aft screws, making SPD-R hole-incompatible with all
the clipless systems I know of.

The SPD-R tech is effectively discontinued (I assume you can still get
cleats, but I don't think the pedals are being produced anymore), in
favour of the new hotness, the Look Ke--ahem, the Shimano SPD-SL.

SPD-SL is not walkable, though it , and looks eerily like an evolved
Look. It also fits on Look-patterned shoes. SL cleats have little rubber
walking-points built in, but they are a raised cleat, so walkability is
still not great.

For racers, there's no point in carrying around 100g of sole. For most
others, there's no point in eschewing it.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old March 23rd 05, 04:25 PM
Peter Cole

RonSonic wrote:
One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them, is

these are
the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be using your

old ones or
buying another pair of cleats.

By this do you mean SH51 vs. SH55 cleats? There is no difference in
float, only difference in release modes. SPD's have a little float.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:49 PM
RonSonic

On 23 Mar 2005 08:25:07 -0800, "Peter Cole" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them, is

these are
the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be using your

old ones or
buying another pair of cleats.

By this do you mean SH51 vs. SH55 cleats? There is no difference in
float, only difference in release modes. SPD's have a little float.

No, I mean the cleats which come with the M525 pedals which are not the 51s but
some more ancient and primitive variant.

Ron

Old March 24th 05, 04:29 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them,

is
these are
the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be using your

old ones or
buying another pair of cleats.

By this do you mean SH51 vs. SH55 cleats? There is no difference in
float, only difference in release modes. SPD's have a little float.

No, I mean the cleats which come with the M525 pedals which are not

the 51s but
some more ancient and primitive variant.

You're right, that cleat is a SM-SH50, which apparerntly was superceded
by the SH51. I didn't realize the 525's were that old! I didn't use the
cleats, and the pedals seem to work fine with both the SH51 and SH55.
The 525's seem well made and operate smoothly -- a bit heavy, though.

Old March 24th 05, 09:27 PM
RonSonic

wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them,

is
these are
the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be using your
old ones or
buying another pair of cleats.

By this do you mean SH51 vs. SH55 cleats? There is no difference in
float, only difference in release modes. SPD's have a little float.

No, I mean the cleats which come with the M525 pedals which are not

the 51s but
some more ancient and primitive variant.

You're right, that cleat is a SM-SH50, which apparerntly was superceded
by the SH51. I didn't realize the 525's were that old! I didn't use the
cleats, and the pedals seem to work fine with both the SH51 and SH55.
The 525's seem well made and operate smoothly -- a bit heavy, though.

They are indeed hefty little suckers, but have worked remarkably well for me on
a mountain bike and CX such as I do.

Thanks for the confirmation on that I know I don't have any float with them, but
was starting to wonder if I should.

Ron

Old March 24th 05, 09:41 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
[...]

I think the float is all in the pedal. The cleats all seem to be the
same in the rear, it's the rear part of the pedal mechanism that moves
against a spring, the amount of swivel before the mechanism starts
retracting seems to be just a function of the shape of the cutout on
that rear part. The 525 has pretty much a notch there, so no rotation
before release starts. Other SPD pedals seem to have more of an arc
than notch, and have a bit of float, at least that's my impression.