My New $8 Rockhopper

Old March 20th 05, 04:02 AM
maxo

Default My New $8 Rockhopper

Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear. The
rims are groovy dark anodized Saturae's (Specialized house brand with a
neat round shape)--again with zero brake pad wear.
Spokes seem to be Wheelsmith.

Tires are brand new 26x1.5" Panaracer slicks, the Blackburn rack appears
to be unused, with no wear marks.

Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance]

pictu
http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

Old March 20th 05, 04:58 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:02:57 GMT,
, maxo
concluded:
\snip
It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance]

pictu
http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

There's egg on the rings but at least it's the right colour!
--
zk
Old March 20th 05, 05:42 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

This is obviously Destiny at work.

Congrats on a great score. (Or, 2 great scores.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 20th 05, 06:01 AM
maxo

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:58:00 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

There's egg on the rings but at least it's the right colour!

--

for an eighties bike I got lucky, some can be pretty hideous! (like my
black and hot pink Trek racer from '89)

I did forget how bizarre biopace rings feel--I'm a high cadence
singlespeeder for the most part, I'll have to halve my rpms on this sucker
to feel comfy. LOL

I did ride biopace during my two years of mountainbiking in the late
eighties so it's not a shock at least.

I do LOVE the old SIS shifters with friction up front and a choice of
friction/SIS rear.

Old March 20th 05, 06:24 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

I do LOVE the old SIS shifters with friction up front and a choice of
friction/SIS rear.

They're a lot nicer to replace cables in too, than the
(Shimano) GripShifts with the tiny, losable screws, on
my Norco Mountaineer. I've been thinking about moving
the SIS top-mounts off the old Bigfoot and onto the
Mountaineer, and dispensing with the GripShifts.

cheers,
Tom

Old March 20th 05, 07:34 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:01:34 GMT,
, maxo
wrote:

I did ride biopace during my two years of mountainbiking in the late
eighties so it's not a shock at least.

They're back!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005...ch_csc_cervelo

(but 90 degrees off this time (again))
--
zk
Old March 20th 05, 03:28 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
maxo wrote:

Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear.

Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance]

pictu
http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

Congratulations! A first-rate find.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old March 20th 05, 07:39 PM
Peter Cole

maxo wrote:
Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a

secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

Where did you say this thrift store was again?

Old March 20th 05, 08:27 PM
maxo

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:39:04 -0800, Peter Cole wrote:

maxo wrote:
Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a

secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

Where did you say this thrift store was again?

Nashville, Tennessee, so you can imagine--99.9% of bikes at thrift shops
are X-mart bikes.

If I lived in a college town like Madison Wisconsin and its much higher
percentage of good thrift shop bikes--I'd probably have a herd of a few
dozen bikes --it's hard to say no, especially when you see a bike you
wanted in, say '86--and there it is for twenty bucks! :P

btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new! I am removing the
hideous decals and the one on the bottom tube is being a pain. Any hints
other than a hair dryer & nailpolish remover?

Old March 20th 05, 10:22 PM
Claire Petersky

"maxo" wrote in message
news
btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Rockhopper down cc Mountain Biking 12 August 16th 04 10:53 PM
Specialized Rockhopper Comp aTmSpectre Mountain Biking 1 July 22nd 04 12:50 AM
Is it better to upgrade the components on my 10 yr old frame, orbuy a new bike? Paul Mountain Biking 9 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Ruined my Rockhopper - need used recommendation Dan Mountain Biking 3 February 24th 04 05:15 AM
Advice on Hardtail under $700 Greg Smith Off Road 1 August 29th 03 02:00 PM