Best Camelbak for road?

Old March 20th 05, 08:52 PM
Peter B

"Paul" wrote in message
There are also a couple of alternative makes to Camelbak - are they worth
looking at? What do people on here use?

I mainly use a Camelbak Mule for long mtb rides as it carries 3 litres of
liquid and has ample storage for spare clothing, tools, grub and very basic
first aid supplies.
I also have a Camelbak Rogue (2 litres IIRC) for shorter mtb rides which I
have used very occasionally on longer, hot road rides in conjunction with
frame mounted bottles.
The inescapable downside of these types of hydration packs is a sweaty back,
no matter what it says in the blurbs.
I can usually do long road rides just using the frame mounted bottles, a
seatpack for tools and jersey pockets for food if I can refill the bottles
en-route, much prefer it TBH.

Pete

Old March 20th 05, 09:18 PM
Paul

Default Best Camelbak for road?

Think I am going to invest in one of these hydration type thingies this year
as I tend to dehydrate very quickly when riding. Ideally I'd like something
that allows me to store bananas and energy bars etc in addition to a sizable
storage for fluid on longer rides. There are some that appear geared
towards MTB use rather than road so I'd be interested to know what roadies
typically use?

There are also a couple of alternative makes to Camelbak - are they worth
looking at? What do people on here use?

Cheers

Paul

Old March 20th 05, 11:02 PM
me

Peter B wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

There are also a couple of alternative makes to Camelbak - are they worth
looking at? What do people on here use?

I mainly use a Camelbak Mule for long mtb rides as it carries 3 litres of
liquid and has ample storage for spare clothing, tools, grub and very basic
first aid supplies.
I also have a Camelbak Rogue (2 litres IIRC) for shorter mtb rides which I
have used very occasionally on longer, hot road rides in conjunction with
frame mounted bottles.
The inescapable downside of these types of hydration packs is a sweaty back,
no matter what it says in the blurbs.
I can usually do long road rides just using the frame mounted bottles, a
seatpack for tools and jersey pockets for food if I can refill the bottles
en-route, much prefer it TBH.

Pete

Ditto with Pete, but change the Rogue for a Blowfish and the Mule For
Transalp.

Michael
Old March 20th 05, 11:10 PM
davek

Paul wrote:
Think I am going to invest in one of these hydration type thingies this year
as I tend to dehydrate very quickly when riding. Ideally I'd like something
that allows me to store bananas and energy bars etc in addition to a sizable
storage for fluid on longer rides. There are some that appear geared
towards MTB use rather than road so I'd be interested to know what roadies
typically use?

I was given mine as a gift - I'd never have bought one otherwise, but it
has proved to be very useful so I'm glad to have it.

It's a 2 litre "Classic" model - I don't think I would want anything
larger, as the weight (when full) would be an issue, besides which 2
litres on the back plus a 750ml bottle on the bike is plenty enough
liquid for rides up to about 100km - any longer on the road and I'd want
to be able to stop for refills anyway.

It has a little pocket which is just about large enough to hold keys,
mobile phone, money, multi-tool, puncture patches and tyre levers. A
banana would get a bit squashed in there, but food tends to go in back
pockets of jersey anyway.

d.
Old March 20th 05, 11:20 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul
') wrote:

Think I am going to invest in one of these hydration type thingies
this year
as I tend to dehydrate very quickly when riding. Ideally I'd like
something that allows me to store bananas and energy bars etc in
addition to a sizable
storage for fluid on longer rides. There are some that appear geared
towards MTB use rather than road so I'd be interested to know what
roadies typically use?

There are also a couple of alternative makes to Camelbak - are they
worth
looking at? What do people on here use?

Why get sweaty and carry weight high up on your back in expensive
insanitary hard-to-clean squashy things when you've got perfectly good
bottle cage mounts on your frame?

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.
Old March 21st 05, 07:44 AM
vernon levy

I use a Camelback mule for MTB and road riding and have found it to be ideal
for my needs.
There's ample storage too. One needs to be aware though that three litres
of water weighs 3kg -
about 6.5 lbs. Some riders may find this sort of payload a tad too much for
their liking.

Decent wicking tops ameliorate the 'sweaty back problem'. I've never been
uncomfortable.

I also use a 1.5 litrer classic for shorter rides.

I consider the Camelbacks to be the best bit of kit that I've bought after
the bargain priced Aldi wicking cycling tops.

Old March 21st 05, 09:38 AM

Paul wrote:
Think I am going to invest in one of these hydration type thingies

this year
as I tend to dehydrate very quickly when riding. Ideally I'd like

something
that allows me to store bananas and energy bars etc in addition to a

sizable
storage for fluid on longer rides. There are some that appear geared
towards MTB use rather than road so I'd be interested to know what

roadies
typically use?

There are also a couple of alternative makes to Camelbak - are they

worth
looking at? What do people on here use?

Cheers

Paul

Another vote for Camelbak Mule.

Having a sweaty back is not an issue for me, as I sweat like a pig
anyway. Its only uncomfortable if you're stopping and starting; if
you're out for a long ride, and actually riding most of the time you
don't notice it.

Main pocket i sperfectly sized. Also has thin side pockets (would take
a shorty type pump. Also has 'flat' flap for Audax cards, and money.
Elastic cross strapping also provided for keeping folded jackets etc in
place.

Being dirty, unhygenic, mould homes: this hasn't been a problem for
me, but I generally use mine for water.

M.

Old March 21st 05, 01:45 PM
davek

Simon Brooke wrote:
Why get sweaty and carry weight high up on your back in expensive
insanitary hard-to-clean squashy things when you've got perfectly

good
bottle cage mounts on your frame?

That's all very well if you /do/ have perfectly good bottle cage mounts
on your frame - I only have mounts for one bottle on my bike, so a
Camelbak allows me to carry much more water.

As for insanitary... you'd rather stick the neck of a bottle in your
mouth after it has been sprayed with all that **** off the road?

Camelbaks are by no means perfect but, really, they aren't even that
difficult to clean.

d.

Old March 21st 05, 02:36 PM
Peter Clinch

davek wrote:

That's all very well if you /do/ have perfectly good bottle cage mounts
on your frame - I only have mounts for one bottle on my bike, so a
Camelbak allows me to carry much more water.

Get a waist mounted holster. That way a second bottle goes at the small
of your back and covers up very little area you want to sweat from.
It's also a lot cheaper.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old March 21st 05, 05:09 PM
Peter B

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Why get sweaty and carry weight high up on your back in expensive
insanitary hard-to-clean squashy things when you've got perfectly good
bottle cage mounts on your frame?

Hehe.
My road bike has perfectly good bottle mounts, unfortunately my mtb doesn't,
one's sited under the downtube for gawds sake, t'other is sited on top of
the sloping top tube, alright if you like crushed nuts.
I agree Camelbak bladders are expensive but shouldn't prove difficult to
clean, in extremis use babies bottle sterilising solution. At least the
mouthpiece is less likely to get cacked up and of course is always at hand,
useful when mtb'ing but not important for road riding IMO.

Pete

Camelbak reservoir stored in freezer - question. Paul Rose UK 11 February 26th 05 09:33 AM
CamelBak Patch? daino149 Unicycling 13 January 28th 05 07:56 AM
Hydration and Camelbak whinds General 8 March 16th 04 01:11 AM
Accessory report: CamelBak stuff. Jonesy Mountain Biking 21 February 14th 04 06:56 PM
which Camelbak vs High Sierra water system Phil Schuman General 1 July 13th 03 02:24 PM