Article found on Seattle website

Old November 10th 03, 08:29 PM
Treefriend

Default Article found on Seattle website

Found at www.seattlesucks.com/rant

SPOILER

This topic is for serious cyclists only. Not because
fair weather and recreational cyclists and cagers are
lesser life forms. That aurgument was decided in an
earlier thread. No, it's just that if you don't spend a
lot of time out there mixing it up, you will not understand,
and , no offense, you won't have anything to add.
Feel free, at this time, to hit the "back" button and take part
in an Inky child abuse topic, or maybe Elwood has started
yet another thread about feces you could post to.

END SPOILER

So. Anybody who cycles in traffic a lot know that there are
at least three types of cagers. 85% of them, while numb,
checked out, insulated from the world, and inattentive,
pretty much buzz along like annoying, polluting insects. An irritation,
but nothing more. The second type are the type who have
zero skill, and are every bit as inattentive as the first
category, but, because of the extremity of their
incontinence...excuse me...I meant incompitance (an understanable
mistake), are a danger to themselves and every one else.
The third type, one in a thousand, have some genetic deficiency,
wherein they get enraged at any other tax payer who does not
chose to disipate into a fat stupid lazy piece of ****, and,
instead of driving everywhere like they do, actually get places under their
own power. These useless slobs take aggressive and dangerous
risks to communicate their jealousy and rage to the noble cyclist.
Surely you have encountered the type.
When one of these yayhoos, usually driving a pick-up truck,
but not always, doea something stupid, it is natural for those of
us under attack to retaliate.
Just Saturday a couple of rednecks yelled obscenities at me.
I was not blocking them or anything. They just thought it would be
fun to yell profanities at me. So there they are, parked in a long line on traffic
at a red light. I catch up to them. The light up ahead has turned green
but the line hasn't started moving that far back yet.
I say to the guy driving that he needed to teach his boyfriend some
manners if they were going to date in public. "You ****er!" "Asshole"
etc... etc... Ranting and raving about how they're going to kick my
ass, etc... the usual. So I say "You guys make a cute couple"
They wanted to jump out of their car, but being slaves to their cage,
they can't stop. Not willing to endure the horns of the cars behind them.
They have no choice but to go forward.
A similar event happened down at Fremont Bridge. This redneck in his pickup
complete with a dog on the seat next to him honks and screams because
the traffic at the corner by where PCC used to be, turning South on the Bridge
was down to one lane due to construction. Bellowing profanities
and flipping me off as he passed me, him on the bridge, me on the sidewalk,
crossing the bridge.
I said calmly, "You should not talk like that in front of your girlfriend",
meaning the dog. Oh he goes into a rage. Turns off right after the bridge
and gets out of his truck. By now I'm waiting to cross onto the Dexter
bike route. He starts jogging over. My options? Well I thought that as he was
jogging toward me in a rage, I could double around to his truck,
which I was pretty sure he had not locked, and take it, or let his
girlfriend...I mean his dog... out. But just then my light turned green.
Off I went. I kept waiting for Mr. Baddass to come back around
and catch me, but he never did.

What's with these jerks?
_________________
..~~~~~~~~~__o
..~~~~~~~~_-\_
~~~~~~~~(_)/ (_)
~~~~~~Cyclito ergo sum
Old November 10th 03, 10:13 PM
Rick Onanian

On 10 Nov 2003 12:29:36 -0800, (Treefriend)
wrote:

realtreefriend? You are a friend of a company that makes realistic
camouflage?

SPOILER
earlier thread. No, it's just that if you don't spend a
lot of time out there mixing it up, you will not understand,
END SPOILER

disclaimer
I read it anyway. So what.
/disclaimer

but not always, doea something stupid, it is natural for those of
us under attack to retaliate.

Nature isn't what got us bicycles or roads. Just as it is necessary
for drivers to control their rage against other drivers and against
cyclists, cyclists (at least the ones who value peace) should
control their own rage.

I say to the guy driving that he needed to teach his boyfriend some
manners if they were going to date in public. "You ****er!" "Asshole"
etc... etc... Ranting and raving about how they're going to kick my
ass, etc... the usual. So I say "You guys make a cute couple"

Yes, this is the way to enlightened inner peace! When somebody
ignorantly ****es you off, you really should ignorantly encourage
them towards violence.

I said calmly, "You should not talk like that in front of your girlfriend",
meaning the dog. Oh he goes into a rage. Turns off right after the bridge

What's with these jerks?

If you have to ask, then there's no hope for you. You are as
ignorant as they are.

I know what's with them, _and_ what's with you. You're all idiots
with no self control and hot blood.
--
Rick "Damn, hooked on another troll" Onanian
Old November 10th 03, 10:44 PM
David Reuteler

Tom Keats wrote:
: The "implying they're gay" tactic works so well, 'cuz
: it steals their thunder and they've got nothing left
: to work with except blithering, blinding rage.

i've been experimenting a little with this. on saturday i was buzzed pretty
close (the right mirror hit my shoulder) on a busy 4 lane street. he honked
about 3 times about 5 seconds before passing .. when i caught him at the
light he was all set to start yelling at me for being too far over, not
riding on the sidewalk, etc.

... but i've been there before.

i told (ok, screamed at) him that if he had a problem with me to call the
police and not to try and kill me.

that's a much more defensible position. it works a lot better & he had no
comeback. or maybe he just thought i was nuts.

also there was nobody (& no dog) in the truck to infer sexual relations with.
--
david reuteler

Old November 11th 03, 12:06 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:13:54 -0500,
, Rick Onanian
wrote:

I say to the guy driving that he needed to teach his boyfriend some
manners if they were going to date in public. "You ****er!" "Asshole"
etc... etc... Ranting and raving about how they're going to kick my
ass, etc... the usual. So I say "You guys make a cute couple"

Yes, this is the way to enlightened inner peace! When somebody
ignorantly ****es you off, you really should ignorantly encourage
them towards violence.

He was complimenting the impotent mullet-heads.
They just didn't appreciate it and couldn't do anything about it.
Their balls had long ago disappeared out the tailpipe.
--
zk
Old November 11th 03, 12:41 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Rick Onanian writes:

Nature isn't what got us bicycles or roads. Just as it is necessary
for drivers to control their rage against other drivers and against
cyclists, cyclists (at least the ones who value peace) should
control their own rage.

I believe the writer of the article wasn't so much expressing
rage, as bemused, brass-neck'd, cheeky mockery. Especially if
his taunts were spoken in calm, measured, even, sociable tones.
Ppl who yell a lot (i.e: enraged ppl) seem to hate that.

I say to the guy driving that he needed to teach his boyfriend some
manners if they were going to date in public.

Yes, this is the way to enlightened inner peace! When somebody
ignorantly ****es you off, you really should ignorantly encourage
them towards violence.

Unnecessarily angry drivers are comical, like that guy who
got so mad he exploded in Big Trouble in Little China; they
make buffoons of themselves. I guess some folks find it
just too tempting to have a li'l interactive, lighthearted
fun with 'em.

The way I see it, it's not about enlightened inner peace, or
even maturity. It's Sport. It may even be Art, if enough
imaginativeness is brought to bear. It may be peurile and
sophomoric, but it's not rage. It may be therapeutic -- the
antidote to being on the receiving end of someone else's rage.

I suppose it's playing a situation like a piano. The enraged
cager wants to control the situation; the Sport is in not
letting him have that control, while taking the risk that he
might be an armed psycho (hey, if there's no risk, there's no
Sport). An enraged person can't do that - "don't get mad; don't
even get even -- just have some laffs at Angry Driver's expense".
If as a result Angry Driver gets frustrated and gives himself
hypertension over it, that's his prob.

Anyhow, I'm not condoning or defending such behaviour. I'm
just trying to show it doesn't necessarily spring from rage.
Maybe from righteous indignation, or weariness of the usual
razmatazz directed at cyclists from drivers.

What's with these jerks?

If you have to ask, then there's no hope for you. You are as
ignorant as they are.

I know what's with them, _and_ what's with you. You're all idiots
with no self control and hot blood.

Some folks want to be angry, and some folks want to be amused.
It's a ripe opportunity for a symbiotic relationship. I guess
it's like those couples who are only happy when they're
squabbling and bickering. Actually, it can be occasionally be
amusing enough just to sit back and watch 'em going at each other.
Kinda like watching Fawlty Towers.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old November 11th 03, 03:08 AM
Bernie

Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

Taking advantage of the awesome weather we've been experiencing this
autumn, I rode into Vancouver last week. I walked my bike across a
crosswalk at Boundary and Kingsway til I got to the Left turn lane, then
swung my wheel around and got on, ready to hang a left and head down
Kingsway. At about the same time a motorist entered the left turn lane,
pushed his car aggressively close to my rear wheel, and honked his horn.
He obviously felt I'd taken something away from him by changing from a
pedestrian into a road user - our light was red at the time -
When the light changed I made my turn and immediately took the right
lane, letting the left turners have an open lane to use. Not
surprisingly, my horn honker also took the right lane and brushed by me,
giving me the finger (and the mandatory ugly face). At the first
traffic light, and using the gap between traffic and parked cars (I
know, I know! :-}) I paused beside my new friend long enough to give
him the Greek five finger salute, with a smile, and proceeded on. I
felt at that point he wanted to do me harm, but of course what car can
overtake a decent bicycle in city traffic? It's all part of the cosmic
joke. Never saw him again.
Keep larfin'! Bernie

Old November 11th 03, 08:02 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bernie writes:

I paused beside my new friend long enough to give
him the Greek five finger salute, with a smile, and proceeded on. I
felt at that point he wanted to do me harm, but of course what car can
overtake a decent bicycle in city traffic? It's all part of the cosmic
joke. Never saw him again.

Bernie, you're too nice. You coulda at least mooned him.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 12th 03, 06:19 AM
Bernie

Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
Bernie writes:

I paused beside my new friend long enough to give
him the Greek five finger salute, with a smile, and proceeded on. I
felt at that point he wanted to do me harm, but of course what car can
overtake a decent bicycle in city traffic? It's all part of the cosmic
joke. Never saw him again.

Bernie, you're too nice. You coulda at least mooned him.

cheers,
Tom

I wanted to! Unfortunately my tights said "XL" but fit like only "L" so
in the dymanic moment, I didn't have time to make the proper gesture! ()
Bernie