Giraffe Discussion Thread

Old July 22nd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

Default Giraffe Discussion Thread

Has anyone ever riden through a deep flood that would go well above the
top of the tyre so that it just looks like your pedaling a big post
through the water? I realy want to try it, I need a giraffe though, and
a flood.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old July 22nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gkmac

sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
Has anyone ever riden through a deep flood that would go well above the
top of the tyre so that it just looks like your pedaling a big post
through the water? I realy want to try it, I need a giraffe though, and
a flood.

A swimming pool would do.

Once I saw someone on TV riding and idling a giraffe in the shallow end
of a pool; the entire wheel was submerged in the water but the pedals
were above the surface.

He tried to juggle but ended up tipping sideways and falling off,
landing in the water.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
Old July 23rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SkierAlex

sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
Has anyone ever riden through a deep flood that would go well above the
top of the tyre so that it just looks like your pedaling a big post
through the water? I realy want to try it, I need a giraffe though, and
a flood.

lol I've thought about that too. Maybe in a swimming pool. But wouldn't
the tyre try to float making it difficult?

--
SkierAlex

You've highlighted my sig'.' (http://tinyurl.com/5kbxhv)
Old November 14th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gamecocks1

sp4rky-m4rky;1066088 wrote:
Has anyone ever riden through a deep flood that would go well above the
top of the tyre so that it just looks like your pedaling a big post
through the water? I realy want to try it, I need a giraffe though, and
a flood.

My family heard me talking about Giraffes and then saw this on TV. I
found it on youtube. Bluto rides the uni through the water at 1:44.

YouTube - Popeye -
Swimmer Take All

--
Gamecocks1
Old November 17th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnICycleRoCKs

Where do you get a replacement chain for a schwinn 6 ft unicycle? I am
thinking about buying this 6 ft unicycle on ebay and it looks like the
chain is rusted

--
UnICycleRoCKs

What is your favorite color?
Blue. No...yelooooooow
From Monty Python Holy Grail
Old November 17th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnICycleRoCKs

Are savages good giraffe unicycles?

--
UnICycleRoCKs

What is your favorite color?
Blue. No...yelooooooow
From Monty Python Holy Grail
Old November 17th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

UnICycleRoCKs;1132260 wrote:
Where do you get a replacement chain for a schwinn 6 ft unicycle? I am
thinking about buying this 6 ft unicycle on ebay and it looks like the
chain is rusted

You could probably make a chain that would fit out of bicycle chain,
you would just need a chain tool to attach a few chains together.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old November 17th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

UnICycleRoCKs;1132260 wrote:
Where do you get a replacement chain for a schwinn 6 ft unicycle?

It's bike chain. You just need enough chain to reach, which usually
requires two "regular" chains, or just some lengths of "junk" chain that
your bike shop may have. If you don't want to mess with adding/removing
links, they can also do that for you.

Are savages good giraffe unicycles?

Not compared to a Schwinn. If you have the chance to get a Schwinn, go
for it. Though it's better to have a later one. Ask if the one for sale
has three bolts holding the bottom sprocket to the axle. If not, it's
like an old-style track hub and can unscrew. These can be loctited but
the 3-bolt kind is easier to deal with.

MT High wrote:
Does anyone here have any tips for building such a thing?

It should be possible to dig up some pictures of existing solid ones.
Things to think about:
- The heights you're describing, 12-15', will lead to almost-guaranteed
injury if you fall off them. 10' is impressively tall, while you can
still do UPDs, with a lower chance of injury.
- In my old unicycle club, our giraffes topped out at 12' because any
higher and they wouldn't fit under the wires that typically cross over
the streets we rode parades on. Don't forget to allow at least 3' above
the saddle for your head, which is where the current would enter your
body if you got too close to a power line...
- As giraffes get taller, they get heavier. You don't want a
double-chain, better to have a single chain that won't derail.

To keep your chain on you should think about running two separate
chains (one ending where the next one starts, or at least one idler
wheel halfway up. Your frame design has to be all about rigidity so it
doesn't bow front to back. That's what happens when you put tension on
the chain. The frame bows, the chain becomes a D shape, and can easily
derail. Consider your design carefully before building, making sure it's
rigid, and trying to keep it from being outrageously heavy. It's going
to be heavy no matter what, but keep track of your total weight.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old November 17th 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MT High

Thanks for your reply John. I had thought of using the idler wheel or
two (one on each side of the chain, front and rear). I did not think of
using two separate chains but will look at that idea.

I am thinking of using two main tubes in parallel with some triangle
cross pieces to keep it rigid, my bike builder is looking into getting
some quality straight gauge CrMo.

I did a quick survey of my local area and found I should be ok for
electricity, etc. I also have a few other places to ride without any
overhead wires.

--
MT High
Old November 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

johnfoss;1132438 wrote:

Not compared to a Schwinn. If you have the chance to get a Schwinn, go
for it. Though it's better to have a later one. *Ask if the one for sale
has three bolts holding the bottom sprocket to the axle*. If not, it's
like an old-style track hub and can unscrew. These can be loctited but
the 3-bolt kind is easier to deal with.

I would recommend to you and all schwinn giraffe riders to use a *#8
aircraft bolt(s)* for this connection. Regular bolts *WILL* shear off
all-together making for a very uncomfortable UPD.
(Happened to me twice before I learned to upgrade the bolts)
It's good to check those bolts frequently.

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'