Looking for some spoke lengths

Old November 26th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Looking for some spoke lengths

Coming out of lurker mode here to see if I can get spoke lengths for current (9-10-11 spd) Campy Record hubs, 32 hole, going 3-cross to Ambrosio Excellence rims. There seems to be some uncertainty on their ERD. I've been on tubies for an age and am hopelessly behind the times.

Alms for the old...
Old November 26th 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis Davis[_2_]

In article ,
wrote:
Coming out of lurker mode here to see if I can get spoke lengths
for current (9-10-11 spd) Campy Record hubs, 32 hole, going 3-cross
to Ambrosio Excellence rims. There seems to be some uncertainty on
their ERD. I've been on tubies for an age and am hopelessly behind
the times.

As Andrew Muzi has advised, measure the ERD of the rims you have.
The online spoke length calculator I often use:

https://leonard.io/edd/

lists two different measurements for these rims. So, for the rear
hub, you're likely to want 292mm & 294mm spokes for one measurement
and 294mm & 296mm spokes for the other measurement. That's if I've
picked the right hubs and you trust online spoke length calculators.
Certainly the above spoke length calculator has worked for me on the
times I've used it.
--
Dennis Davis
Old November 27th 18, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:58:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Coming out of lurker mode here to see if I can get spoke lengths for current (9-10-11 spd) Campy Record hubs, 32 hole, going 3-cross to Ambrosio Excellence rims. There seems to be some uncertainty on their ERD. I've been on tubies for an age and am hopelessly behind the times.

Alms for the old...

Thanks to you both! I used the-two-cutoff-spokes-trick I found on the web, and the webpage calculator Dennis pointed me to. My numbers for the rear matched his so I had the correct hubs. Front was then easy. Going to sharpie these lengths on the inside of the toolbox lid. And, boy, did Campy make a lot of different hubs.
Old November 28th 18, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis Davis[_2_]

In article ,

Thanks to you both! I used the-two-cutoff-spokes-trick I found
on the web, and the webpage calculator Dennis pointed me to. My
numbers for the rear matched his so I had the correct hubs. Front
was then easy. Going to sharpie these lengths on the inside of the
toolbox lid. And, boy, did Campy make a lot of different hubs.

A web search with keywords "measure ERD spoke", or similar, will
show up several pages describing how to do measure the ERD. Mike
T's wheelbuilding site:

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

looks comprehensive. I quite like the description in:

http://miketechinfo.com/ERD-measuring.htm

The use of an elastic band in the above is slightly Heath
Robinson[1], and appeals to me.

Roger Musson:

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

(I *must* buy a copy of his book.)

includes a comparison of spoke calculators:

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/support/s...h-calculators/

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson
--
Dennis Davis

Spoke Lengths Tosspot[_2_] Techniques 7 September 22nd 09 02:22 AM
spoke lengths Taka UK 6 August 14th 05 03:28 PM
spoke lengths Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 3 February 16th 04 09:23 PM
Spoke Lengths Question Kenny Lee Techniques 7 December 29th 03 01:01 PM
Oh wise ones: Spoke lengths David Nutter UK 10 November 18th 03 04:05 PM