Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Old March 31st 05, 02:23 PM
Neil Cherry

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:53:23 GMT, max wrote:
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

Yesterday we had the weather pattern of showers and sun breaks. When I got
off work, pavement was dry, but the sun break was already starting to cloud
over, and the wind was coming from the south and a bit from the west. Home
is to the east and the north, and I was hoping to stay ahead of the front
moving in.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday, 1200 miles away. Except, my
commuter buddy DITCHED his ride home and called his wife for a car ride!

I don't know, I thinkI'd ditch ya too if your commute were 1200
miles. I have my limits! ;-)

I went kayaking when i got home. what the heck, i was a already
drenched...

OK, now you my hero (I'm not being sarcastic)!

A few years ago my friends and I did a double century. On the day of
the ride a tropical storm hit. The first half was wet and humid but
not bad (86F). On the second half we got hit with the rain. It was
then I learned that I wasn't getting any wetter riding in the rain
than I was riding with the sun. At one point we were at a rest stop
and it began to pour! Everyone except the cyclists ran for cover,
quite ammusing to see. BTW, that day Phili got 9" of rain in one hour
and we were about 30 miles from Phili. Later during the eye of the
storm we got sun burn! Since that ride I've experienced rain with
temperatures in the 40's (nasty!), a white out, thunderstorms and 100+
F temperatures. Just not all at once. I've not experienced hail and I
keep the snow rides to a minimum.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 31st 05, 02:26 PM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:31:59 -0800, Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
Am I the only one to make no comment about red thighs and icy cold? Yes, I
think so.

I didn't understand the comment so I let it go as something about it
being cold. Claire, you weren't wearing cycling shorts were you? I'm
still wearing woool tights (were getting in the 50's). Probably will
until we get to the high 60's.

Old March 31st 05, 02:58 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
Neil Cherry wrote:

snip

A few years ago my friends and I did a double century. On the day of
the ride a tropical storm hit. The first half was wet and humid but
not bad (86F). On the second half we got hit with the rain. It was
then I learned that I wasn't getting any wetter riding in the rain
than I was riding with the sun. At one point we were at a rest stop
and it began to pour! Everyone except the cyclists ran for cover,
quite ammusing to see. BTW, that day Phili got 9" of rain in one hour
and we were about 30 miles from Phili. Later during the eye of the
storm we got sun burn! Since that ride I've experienced rain with
temperatures in the 40's (nasty!), a white out, thunderstorms and 100+
F temperatures. Just not all at once. I've not experienced hail and I
keep the snow rides to a minimum.

YO! Neil?

Where is Phili?

I know about Philly the city of Brotherly Love - and murder central.

Last night, two cyclists had a head on collision on the East River MUP.
Both are in serious condition.

There was no mention of styrofoam hats. - goto it Frank!

Ride Safely - Look Up
Old March 31st 05, 03:01 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Good for you, Claire.

Keep trekking.

Old March 31st 05, 04:02 PM
GaryG

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:42:04 -0800, ,
"GaryG" wrote:

Hard Core, Claire!

GG

WTF else can you do when you're riding your bike in the real world?

When it's hailing? You can pull over underneath a bridge, or run into a
convenience store, and wait it out, or call the designated spousal unit.

Claire isn't playing around.

Thus my kudos.

--
zk

Old March 31st 05, 06:49 PM
RonSonic

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:32:17 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Yesterday we had the weather pattern of showers and sun breaks. When I got
off work, pavement was dry, but the sun break was already starting to cloud
over, and the wind was coming from the south and a bit from the west. Home
is to the east and the north, and I was hoping to stay ahead of the front
moving in.

About five miles from home, the clouds were so dark I turned on my lights,
even though it was only about 4:30. Just a few minutes later, I felt the
first spatter of rain. In only a few moments, the rain was falling hard.
Within a mile, though, it slacked to the more familiar, gentle ticka-tacka
ticka-tacka. I thought maybe it would even stop, but just as I began the
final ascent of the ride, it picked up again, and then -- it started to
hail. The hail was small, but coming down hard. I could feel it bounce
around in the vents of my helmet. The lawns on the side of the road turned
white. Just as I hit the crest of the hill, it returned to a hard rain.
Nothing but the descent to the house left, I took it easy all the way down,
with the street gutters overflowing and the roads still slick from the hail.

When I stepped in the house, my first thought was to strip myself of all my
wet things. The gloves and shoes went on the heat vent to dry. I started the
hot water in the tub. I piled up the wet socks, jersey, shorts in the
laundry basket and hung up the dripping jacket. My thighs were bright red
and icy cold. I grabbed the New York Times crossword and a pen, and then
eased myself into the hot water to thaw out.

If you EVER hear me complain about riding in Florida you just slap me like the
silly sissy it would take to complain about riding in Florida.

Ron

Old March 31st 05, 08:05 PM
The Wogster

Claire Petersky wrote:
Yesterday we had the weather pattern of showers and sun breaks. When I got
off work, pavement was dry, but the sun break was already starting to cloud
over, and the wind was coming from the south and a bit from the west. Home
is to the east and the north, and I was hoping to stay ahead of the front
moving in.

If your in the USA or Canada .....

You should look into buying a weatheradio with alert, turn it on about
half an hour before you leave work and see what they are saying about
your area, often they will know about hail and such nonsense, knowing
that unpleasent weather is coming, can be a huge benefit, if it's bad
enough, you can always take transit home, even if it means putting a
tarp over the bike, and leaving it where it is.....

Actually I think that both NWS and EC will trigger an alert on hail....
Can't verify it though.....

Old March 31st 05, 08:40 PM
mark

I got caught in a hailstorm on Mosquito Pass last August, every so often a
hailstone would make it's way through the vents in my helmet and really
sting. Did you have a rain cover on your helmet? If so, did it help?

My new helmet (Bell Metro) isn't quite as ventilated as the old one, and I
bought the rain cover to go with it. Let's see what happens in the next
hailstorm.
--
mark

Old March 31st 05, 08:51 PM
Maggie

RonSonic wrote:
If you EVER hear me complain about riding in Florida you just slap me

like the
silly sissy it would take to complain about riding in Florida.

Ron

I rode a bike in august in Tampa. All I did was complain. It was about
110 with high humidity. I almost died. AND I WAS YOUNG THEN.
Maggie

Old March 31st 05, 09:18 PM
Maggie

catzz66 wrote:
Maggie wrote:

I rode a bike in august in Tampa. All I did was complain. It was

about
110 with high humidity. I almost died. AND I WAS YOUNG THEN.
Maggie

Note to Maggie: Don't enter this ride.

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1

I think, I'm almost positive, in fact I am absolutely certain...I will
never, ever enter that ride. Unless I am reincarated as a really
strong, athletic stud or stud-ess in my next life.
That is wicked.
Maggie

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 22 November 17th 04 02:09 AM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 0 November 15th 04 07:04 PM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM