Sram Trigger shifters

Old August 15th 03, 01:55 AM
Sheldon Brown

Default Sram Trigger shifters

Rick Onanian wrote:

A couple posts in the ShimaNO threads mentioned Sram Trigger
shifters.

I can't find them on Sram's website.

Anybody have any experience with these? I love my cheapo
Shimano Acera combined brake / shifters on my MTB, 7
speed from 1997; they are very comfortable to use, and
are tough as nails (none of those silly plastic-window
with a needle gear indicators; just a metal dial that
shows gear against a notch).

While I don't expect to change them anytime soon, I
would like to be familiar with this option. I've
always been completely uninterested in Sram due to
the fact that I seriously dislike grip shift...not
to say that I would rule out sram parts aside from
shifters.

See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...&Category=2398

Note that the "ESP" models only work with Sram ESP derailers, though
they'll probably also work with antique Benelux stuff if you're crazy
enough to try...

Sheldon "Triggers" Brown
| In order to understand recursion, |
| first, you have to understand recursion. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 15th 03, 02:39 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:55:22 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:
See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...&Category=2398

They look nice enough. My concern about the
plastic, outboard gear-indicator-window on
some Shimano shifters initially appears to
apply here, but on closer inspection, it
appears to be in a safe place where it won't
take a hit during an accident.

Note that the "ESP" models only work with Sram ESP derailers, though

There's another thing I couldn't find on Sram's
site. What is the nature of Sram's "ESP" system?

they'll probably also work with antique Benelux stuff if you're crazy
enough to try...

You'd also have to be crazy enough to have thought
of applying a modern shifter to "antique Benelux
stuff", which I've never heard of and don't know
why somebody would do it.

Sheldon "Triggers" Brown
| In order to understand recursion, |
| first, you have to understand recursion. |

A true geek feeling. I can't imagine life without
recursive acronyms. GNU == Gnu's Not Unix...etc...

Old August 15th 03, 03:57 AM
Russ Price

Rick Onanian wrote:

There's another thing I couldn't find on Sram's
site. What is the nature of Sram's "ESP" system?

The issue is "actuation ratio" - that is, how far the derailleur travels
for a given amount of cable travel. Shimano uses a 1:2 ratio - the cage
moves 2 mm for each 1 mm of cable travel; SRAM ESP uses 1:1.

FWIW, the ESP 7.0 group that came on my recumbent has worked very well
for me. Once broken in, I've never had to readjust it.

Russ

--
Russ --kill the wabbit to despam
"My belief is the world if full of dumb asses... the only difference is
Old August 15th 03, 04:51 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:39:47 -0400, Rick Onanian
may have said:

A true geek feeling. I can't imagine life without
recursive acronyms. GNU == Gnu's Not Unix...etc...

Some jobs are also recursive. First you curse, then you recurse.

As for truly silly acronyms that get self-referential in strange
ways...

http://www.instantattitudes.com/gifs/bs309.gif

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 15th 03, 05:54 AM
Ted Bennett

Rick Onanian wrote:

Sheldon "Triggers" Brown
| In order to understand recursion, |
| first, you have to understand recursion. |

A true geek feeling. I can't imagine life without
recursive acronyms. GNU == Gnu's Not Unix...etc...

Sheldon's quote should be attributed to the Random Shack Dictionary.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Old August 15th 03, 05:07 PM
B. Sanders

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
Rick Onanian wrote:

A couple posts in the ShimaNO threads mentioned Sram Trigger
shifters.

While I don't expect to change them anytime soon, I
would like to be familiar with this option. I've
always been completely uninterested in Sram due to
the fact that I seriously dislike grip shift...

Grip shifts work well on hybrids, comfort bikes and recumbents, where you're
not putting so much of your weight on the bars. They're quite reliable,
actually, and have positive shifting action. Compared to the vague too-light
shifting action of Shimano RapidFail shifters, I'll take GripShift any day.
For reliability and pure functionality, they're hard to beat.

See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...&Category=2398

JensonUSA carries the Shimano-compatible 2004 SRAM Attack 9-speed trigger
shifters. They're supposed to arrive today (Aug 15).

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/shifters.asp

These are 100% compatible with Shimano 9-speed rear derailleurs. Reviews
thus far have been positive. I'd like to see Shimano have some serious
competition. Their shifter quality has been dropping by degrees in the past
decade.

-Barry "Where are the 9-speed thumbshifters?" Sanders