Looking for specific secure bicycle parking rack.

Old November 20th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Looking for specific secure bicycle parking rack.

I recall using a bike rack where you rolled you bike in and a swing arm
mechanism with three steel bars went through the front wheel, the frame,
and the rear wheel, then you used a padlock then went into circular
steel cage that made it impossible to get a cutting tool to the padlock.

Kind of similar to this
https://bikeep.com/smart-commercial-bike-rack/, but less high tech,
and both wheels are locked.

I can't find these anywhere, but I want to have my city buy something
like that. It would be an alternative to bicycle lockers in an area with
high theft.

It may be that the racks I saw were fabricated by a city themselves and
they don't actually exist for sale. They were extremely heavy and they
took a lot of space because the swing arm needed space to swing away
from the bike.
Old November 20th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2019 4:10 PM, sms wrote:
I recall using a bike rack where you rolled you bike in and
a swing arm mechanism with three steel bars went through the
front wheel, the frame, and the rear wheel, then you used a
padlock then went into circular steel cage that made it
impossible to get a cutting tool to the padlock.

Kind of similar to this
https://bikeep.com/smart-commercial-bike-rack/, but less
high tech, and both wheels are locked.

I can't find these anywhere, but I want to have my city buy
something like that. It would be an alternative to bicycle
lockers in an area with high theft.

It may be that the racks I saw were fabricated by a city
themselves and they don't actually exist for sale. They were
extremely heavy and they took a lot of space because the
swing arm needed space to swing away from the bike.

I don't know, haven't seen that style in many years. But I
do know the expert in the field, ask these guys:
https://www.madrax.com/

general parking rack info:
https://info.madrax.com/commercial-b...bike_p arking

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 21st 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:53:37 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/20/2019 4:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Or
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...ke-from-theft/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 21st 19, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 2:53:47 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/20/2019 4:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

No, SMS needs dopey themed bike racks like in Portland. E.g. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/cb...806ba65b1f.jpg Or https://portlandorbit.wordpress.com/...cle-art-racks/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 21st 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 3:05:33 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:53:37 -0600, A,snip wrote:

On 11/20/2019 4:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

The last photo of the grenade reminds me; we used to have a grenade to play with when we were kids. It was the pineapple style and was either a practice one or a disarmed real one. Don't know where it ended up.

In today's California, I would not doubt that even having an old fake one is illegal. We specialize in restrictions on people around here it seems.
Nice link!

pH in Aptos
Old November 21st 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 10:10:20 PM UTC, sms wrote:
I recall using a bike rack where you rolled you bike in and a swing arm
mechanism with three steel bars went through the front wheel, the frame,
and the rear wheel, then you used a padlock then went into circular
steel cage that made it impossible to get a cutting tool to the padlock.

Kind of similar to this
https://bikeep.com/smart-commercial-bike-rack/, but less high tech,
and both wheels are locked.

I can't find these anywhere, but I want to have my city buy something
like that. It would be an alternative to bicycle lockers in an area with
high theft.

It may be that the racks I saw were fabricated by a city themselves and
they don't actually exist for sale. They were extremely heavy and they
took a lot of space because the swing arm needed space to swing away
from the bike.

That's a fabulous system but I imagine very expensive.

What about the racks that the bikeshare companies use? They should by now be common enough that the unit costs are benefiting from scale of production.. The ones I saw in Cork were sophisticated enough to work with an app so that you could pay by credit card but didn't, as far as I remember, have any expensive swinging arm locks.

Andre Jute
I use an n'lock which disables the bike by unlocking the handlebars from the steerer tube...
Old November 21st 19, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 11/20/2019 4:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

On Sale! $9.76 at
https://www.armysurplusworld.com/cam...dummy-grenades

Yet another site that refers to "tactical" stuff, in this case it was
clothing :-)

Given that "tactics" simply means a plan for attaining a particular
goal, one can only gaze with amazement at all the "tactical" stuff
offered for sale, in this case clothing.

I wonder, would a pair of tactical trousers be a term for something
you could use to cover your arse? In that case would a "tactical tutu"
be an appropriate term?
--
cheers,

John B.