Creeping brake pad drag

Old November 27th 19, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Creeping brake pad drag

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:57:05 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 05:56:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I don't believe that this Honda has key holes in the doors but I'll
look closely the next time I go out. But as they didn't supply a key
with the car that is immaterial anyway.

It's hidden inside the fob.

Is it? I'll look. Ah Ha! It is actually a part of the fob on our car.
You press a little release button on the back of the fob and pull the
top of the fob off. (could have fooled me :-)

For Frank, I also found that yes, the car can be started if the fob
battery dies. As you said, you place the fob close to the dash and
when the red light blinks you have ten seconds to start the car.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 27th 19, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:33:48 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 10:22:27 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 21:59:22 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 11/26/2019 5:56 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 12:41:42 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 11/26/2019 4:42 AM, John B. wrote:

My wife's Honda has a "fob" to manage it. Lock and unlock the doors
and you can't start the engine unless the "fob" is in the car. I've
been sort of scratching my head and wondering, "what happens when the
battery in the fob dies?"

In practice, here's what happens, at least if I recall correctly. First,
the range of the radio decreases a bit, which may or may not be
noticeable. Eventually, you'll notice you need to be very close to the
car to get doors to unlock.

If the fob battery is really dead, the fob probably contains a hidden
old style door key. You can use that to get into the car. According to
our manual, in that condition you can still start the car, but only by
holding the fob up to a certain spot on the dash. But that will motivate
you to change the battery.

I don't believe that this Honda has key holes in the doors but I'll
look closely the next time I go out. But as they didn't supply a key
with the car that is immaterial anyway.

But essentially I can't see any advantage to the fob over a key lock.
I'm guessing here but I can imagine that it wouldn't be difficult to
build a device that would automatically cycle through all the possible
signals required to "unlock" the car so some enterprising chap could
drive it away. At least I had an air conditioner "fob" that died and I
found they sell "universal" fobs and can transmit all the possible
signals and you manually try them, one by one, until your air con
runs.

I do have a cute little electronic gizmo that does exactly that with
televisions, transmitting the "off" code for one brand after another.
I've used it in certain doctor's waiting rooms, etc. where they assume
everybody always wants a TV blaring.

I typically use it when I'm the only one present, or when there are just
a few others who are obviously not watching. Nobody knew I was the cause
of the set turning off, but it didn't matter. Nobody ever complained.

However, I'm sure the receiver for your car's transmitter is much more
selective. For a parallel situation: In the early days of garage door
openers, there were relatively few codes and teenagers occasionally had
fun opening strangers' doors. But as I understand it, those days are
gone, at least with newer door controls. The code changes with every
use, and there are millions of codes.

I'm sure your car's receiver is at least as sophisticated as a modern
garage door opener.

I checked the car doors and lo and behold the front doors, at least
the driver's door, has a key slot, which I had never noticed.

See? All your years of reading rec.bicycles.tech have suddenly become worth the
trouble! ;-)

Hooray! Hooray!

But from other posts it does appear that the keyless idea is no more
secure then a key and possible even less, and to my mind not as
"handy" as a metal key. My pickup keys are two keys on a keyring with
several other keys. Get out of the truck, lock the door(s) and put the
keys in my pocket . The Honda has a big glob of metal that doesn't fit
comfortably in my pants pocket :-(

I agree about the bulk. And if security really becomes a worry, I wonder if a
Honda dealer can disable the remote entry key. The electronics on our Mazda are
customizable to a degree. For example, the car was sold with an oil change
monitoring system that was turned off by default. I had the dealer turn it on.

Interestingly, it took them 45 minutes to figure out how to do that. Apparently
I was the first customer to ask.

- Frank Krygowski

That is interesting, I'll have to check the car. If it does have this
device I certainly want it on and hopefully it rings a bell, honks the
horn and makes the engine stop as my wife is a bit vague about these
mechanized devices. A great cook but not overly mechanically
knowledgeable :-)

A story. When I was a young Airman I came home on leave and, of
course, used the family car. Got all gussied up one evening and hopped
in the car and about a half mile from the house I looked down and the
oil pressure warning light was on. Oh My God!

Everything else look normal except they oil pressure warning light was
on. I parked the car and marched back home and told my father "The car
has no oil pressure!" He sort of laughed and says, Well, it does. The
switch went bad and the replacement switch works the other way and the
oil pressure turns the light on".

Somebody was asking if red lights were universal for stop and I
suppose that they are... except at my house :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 27th 19, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

I don't believe that this Honda has key holes in the doors but I'll
look closely the next time I go out. But as they didn't supply a key
with the car that is immaterial anyway.

It's hidden inside the fob.

It was on our car, too. One of the reasons I actually read the manual.

- Frank Krygowski

Well, they gave us a big thick manual with our car.... except it is
written in Thai :-( Luckily I found an English language version on the
web and downloaded it.

That is one of the short comings of living in a foreign land. All the
instructions are written in the language that folks speak. Not the
language that I read :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

disc brake drag hayes circa 2003 maceo Techniques 12 April 11th 12 05:04 AM
Creeping seatpost Jack Myers Techniques 41 March 9th 10 02:57 PM
Drag Brake Setup?? pdc Unicycling 2 March 3rd 06 05:43 PM
Tire creeping over rim - Techniques 24 October 4th 04 08:21 AM
Hydraulic Drag Brake gbarnes Unicycling 6 August 6th 04 02:54 PM