Fenders - front mudflap important ?

Old September 15th 05, 05:10 AM
Mark Janeba

Default Fenders - front mudflap important ?

Werehatrack wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:57:53 GMT, Bob wrote:

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

Unless you ride really fast, even leather will work.

Some suggestions:

A piece cut from a rubber floor mat of the type sold for cars.
A trimmed car mud flap. (These still exist, believe it or not, and
are generally made of a tough plastic now.)
Thick leather, heavily oiled.
An AOL CD. (No, really, I've seen this done.)
A piece of conveyor belt material.

I'm sure that there will be other suggestions.

The stiff plastic "wrappers" that Michelin folding tires used to come in
(and maybe still do).

Mark

Old September 15th 05, 01:48 PM
Peter Cole

Bob wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:27:44 GMT, "mark" wrote:

"Bob" wrote...

How important is a front mudflap when using fenders? Does lot of spray
come up off the front wheel and hit the lower part of the bike? I'm
thinking of protection from riding on wet roads and through remaining
puddles, not riding in the rain.

I get a fair bit of spray on my feet even w/ a front fender, not so much on
the bike. If that's a concern than go with a mudflap. I'm seriously
considering a front mudflap for this winter.

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

I don't think material is critical. I use thin plastic cut from juice
bottles and fasten with a small bolt/nut/washer. Clear plastic matches
anything. It's a 5 minute job.
Old September 15th 05, 04:24 PM

gallon water bottles-paint thinner jugs from woolmort-coin laundry
waste bins for detergent jugs.
it may be possible to find large detergent bottle, cut and splice into
a complete upper chain cover
or mudflap either end
add a rear tire cover at the brake area
cover (shingle) the front deray with duct tape-diito rear with quality
electrical.

Old September 15th 05, 11:17 PM

oh yeah-when rummaging thru the coin ops bins take note of jug design
and collect the leftover $$$ deteregent as the stuff is an excellent
hand degreaser. rub in a bit then add water.
the box is a grate idea- de rigeur here for condo owners