Road pedals?

Old September 16th 05, 03:49 AM

Default Road pedals?

anonymous snipes

Only one answer for road riding...

Time pedals with Carnac shoes...

We have to realize something... if u are into seroiuos road riding
spd and sidis arent enough... no shoes compare to a nice pair of
Carnacs ever,, not even the best sidi or shimano shoe... maybe time
shoes... but usually sidis and shimano's are quite uncomfortable
compared with Carnac shoes. Now... if u guys want the shoes for
walking more than for riding... get a pair of crappy mb sidis and a
pair of spd pedals and problem solved!

Can you explain why these are superior to other step-in pedals and why
Carnac shoes are better than others. My experience with Shimano TO-92
recessed cleat shoes is that they are easy to engage, have cleats that
give varying amounts of "float" and can be worn indoors without the
hazard of leaving marks on the floor.

You also do not need to learn how to walk on your heels. For riders
who are afraid to get near anything that hints of MTB use, there are
even one sided SPD pedals that are miniatures of other cleated pedals.

I sense you have a personal problem with Shimano. Can you explain?
Maybe that's why you snipe from cover of anonymity.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 16th 05, 06:26 PM
noname

HI again... u dont have to be so aggressive hehe

I dont have a personal problem with shimano at all hehe... but at "least
for me" (in my oppinion) the most comfortable shoe is made by carnac,
Shimanos arent bad shoes at all, but arent so comfortable (again... for me
at least).. Well.. as i said before all depends of what do u want to do
with the shoes... for walking and riding like a messenger man.. shimanos
are nice even the sidis are nice... but u cant do that with a pair of
carnacs, looks and others u know... because the shoe is too stiff, second
it was developed for racing or riding a bike not for going to the
supermarket with them u know...

I think the reasons about how some brands are being positionated in the US
market is simply a thing of Marketing and the cyclist pocket... for example
if u have to walk and ride a bike at the same time the whole freaking day
and u have to buy at least 3 pairs of shoes per year what would u get?
always a 100 bucks shoe or ull get a $250+ shoe? (i think i make (made) a
point here). Many cyclist who got to the sport being adults will get the
stuff they have in the stores and what is the most simple to use at the
same time... what do u have in the stores nowaday? shimanos, sidis,
perfomance and other brands...because their prices are good... for example
my wife woultnd spent 300 bucks in a pair of carnacs or time because its
too much money, so she got a nice pair of sidis, and how she got into the
sport a few months ago guess what... she wont notice the difference between
a good and a bad shoe for cycling because she doesnt have the experience,
nor the desire to spend such high ammout of money. The other factor is that
many people maybe as u has to walk to buy something or whatever, right? so
then u just select the stuff u need... the right pair of shoes and the
right pair of pedals, all depends on what do u need or what do espect from
the product.

I did racing like for 15 years, I started when i was 13 years old, I won a
panamerican championship (track race per points) when i was Junior (17 y/o)
back then representing to my country, Ive seen the evolution on components
since the mid 80's untill now.. and in shoes for example... I tried those
new sidis.. let me remember the model... Sidi Genius 5, well that shoe is
quite expensive but it feels like a sidi shoe... no more no less, I dont
know if anybody here remember when sidi came out with yellow straps and
velcro?.. hope u guy do.. well i used one of those back then... and the
sidi genious 5 feels the same.. 20 years later sidi is still doing the same
shoe. Now I want to come back to one point... all depends of the cyclist
and your level.. for example... my feets are a little bit wide not so wide
but just a little bit.. so sidis and shimanos arent comfortable for me...
usually and as a tip for everybody, FRENCH SHOE IS A LITTLE BIT WIDER than
italian shoes...so if u guys have a big pair of dogs get a french made
shoe. Again.. check your pocket and see exactly what do u want from a shoe
and pedal. In my case im an old skooler cyclist so I want the shoe for
riding and comfort for 3 hours a least, i dont want the shoe for WALKING
each 20 minutes, i think many people have the idea now.

I want to remark this... I remember years ago when Look came out with their
pedals, those white ones.. they look pretty cool but the problem is that
they were not able to hold the power of a an sprinter so the feets usually
were getting loose (very dangerous) out of the pedal or u had problems with
the knees (some pain), I used those things for 2 weeks... I came back to my
old campy super record pedals with straps.. well Time came out.. and OH MY
GOD, what a change!... awesome pedal (still have them), the shoe was even
better than other brands I used to use, like adidas, diadora, duegi and
others.

I must confess that i havent try spd pedals ever... Im not saying they are
bad ok?.. it is a great product, u can cleat those things in any position,
many shoes are built stardar for it, u can walk with that kind of cleat (as
u say u use a recess cleat blah blah).. is a cool product... but i havent
use them YET ok?... someday i'll use them.

U ask why carnacs in my oppinion are better than others? well as i said
before,,, i'd tryed different shoes and the carnac are like a glove... it
is soft inside, is very very very stiff even u can make the shoe even
stuffer changing something in the sole, u can put any kind of cleat to
it... it comes in cool colors.. not a hot shoe either (time is similar)..
but the problem ull have is if u have to walk with them... is a shoe for
ROAD RACING... not for walking inside of your house or stopping to get
water each 20 minutes or stopping to go peeing u know... thats the point u
cant compare one thing with another one... for example lance armstrong was
using shimano shoes.. I bet my ass that those shoes arent even similars to
the ones u can find in the stores... I bet they built those shoes a lot
more stiff than the ones u can get at the stores... and i bet that the
interior is very soft, just like a glove... u have to think stuff like that
too u know.

The stuff i espect from a good cycling shoe are these ones... stiff,
comfortable, cool colors... soft in the inside... and i want the shoes for
riding not for going to visit my aunt who lives 20 minuted from here and
then asked her for a cup of iced tea so i have to walk around her house for
other 20 minutes... basically and i dont want to sound bad or agressive but
take your time one day and go to the store and try a pair of carnacs... ull
notice what im talking about right away.. are just like a glove (for me
ok?) if u dont like them or if its not the right shoe u need because are
too stiff or maybe u have to learn how to walk with them,,,,great too
hehehe.. its your choice

To finish.. two things... i apologize for my crappy english but i'm doing
my best ok?... and second.. "Jobst" i recognize your points but all depends
of what do u want and which is your experience, skills, money, age, and
other factors... so if it works for u.. doesnt mean u r wrong... is simply
that maybe im not especting the same than u of a product. And the market
now a days go to regular people like the fat guy who learned to ride a bike
3 weeks ago and think he is an expert... so stores are pointing to that
market... experienced ciclyst like you and me we have to go the to web or
do special orders because the **** we want is too expensive or too weird to
have it on a regular store such as performance for example.

Thanks

old skooler cyclist...

pd: if u want to talk about tubulars and clinchers we can talk about that
too hehehe... long life to tubulars! hehe

wrote in news:PoqWe.13843$p%3.59783
@typhoon.sonic.net: