alternate wedges or locations to mount?

Old July 4th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Default alternate wedges or locations to mount?

Does anyone here not have space under their seat to mount or attach
their wedge? Can they be placed on other locations on a bike? If so,
where do you put yours?

Also, are there other types of wedges that are made to be placed in
other spots? I'd like to see what you guys use.
Old July 4th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jul 4, 10:19*am, Ablang wrote:
Does anyone here not have space under their seat to mount or attach
their wedge? Can they be placed on other locations on a bike? If so,
where do you put yours?

Also, are there other types of wedges that are made to be placed in
other spots? I'd like to see what you guys use.

I've had to forgo a wedge when using a rack trunk, but that's no
biggie, I just transfer the contents from one to the other.

In the '80s, shoulder-strap bags, that mounted in the main triangle
under the seat lug were all the rage. You can still get those.
Nashbar's got one on sale for five bucks.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6799

These days the new fad is the "bento box" style, that mounts above the
top tube and behind the steerer tube/stem. They advertise them as a
place to stash a granola bar and your phone, but a tube, tire levers
and a folding tool would probably fit just as well.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=22245
Old July 4th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:15:14 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Jul 4, 10:19*am, Ablang wrote:
[...]

Dear Hank & Ab,

The Nashbar frame bag in use, with a wedge bag for comparison:
http://i27.tinypic.com/f19ijn.jpg

The odd black dingus hose-clamped to the top tube is just a weight for
testing Newton's theories.

The frame bag's weight holds it clear of the rear brake cable. The
four velcro mounting straps eventually rub paint off metal.

It may not be quite the same as the frame bags that off-road riders
use as shoulder pads--there's no reinforcement where your shoulder
would hit.

It comes with a removable plastic piece that stops the front of the
bag from scrunching back toward the seat post. The plastic piece also
stops metal tools from wearing through and damaging the seat post:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2dhzkic.jpg

That's an 18-inch ruler, showing the 14-inch top of the bag. Some
white paper inside shows the zipper opening.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 4th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 4, 12:19*pm, Ablang wrote:
Does anyone here not have space under their seat to mount or attach
their wedge? Can they be placed on other locations on a bike? If so,
where do you put yours?

Also, are there other types of wedges that are made to be placed in
other spots? I'd like to see what you guys use.

Is this the *only* simple machine you bring with you on rides?! I
highly recommend the inclined plane, used properly, you can coast all
the way home.
Old July 6th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jul 4, 1:19*pm, Ablang wrote:
Does anyone here not have space under their seat to mount or attach
their wedge? Can they be placed on other locations on a bike? If so,
where do you put yours?

Also, are there other types of wedges that are made to be placed in
other spots? I'd like to see what you guys use.

Hi there.

On my road bike I some times use a small frame wedge bag (designed to
be attached to the seat tube and top tube) upside down and attached
to the top tube and the stem. I am still able to ride no-hands as the
strap around the stem does not affet the steering. I do this when I
am using my 2 bottle holder attached to the r ear of the seat. The
frame wedge bad interferes with the seat tube mounted bottle and I use
a frame fit pump under the top tube.

Cheers from Peter
Old July 16th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

I used to keep a spare tube under the seat. It was wrapped in plastic
bag and hook and loop held it there. I've not done that in years. I
have a small wedge and keep a regular tube and a thin one as a second
spare.

Alternate Haluzak Seat [email protected] Recumbent Biking 0 July 16th 06 08:07 AM
An alternate rationale... Werehatrack Techniques 3 March 9th 05 11:28 PM
Alternate Drivetrains Dave Techniques 9 October 26th 04 02:38 PM
Lighting + alternate mounting Borrall Wonnell Techniques 5 October 23rd 04 03:40 AM
Alternate USPS Jersey? brian roth Racing 3 July 12th 03 09:09 PM